• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ARU Junior Gold Cup - National Junior Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunny

Ted Fahey (11)
Whats the go with the Logan center in Qld, putting up a call out for U15 players on their Facebook page?
Nominations are now closed so is it a case that they didn't get enough numbers out there.
I'm sure they could top up with boys who don't make the Brisbane center, no?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

redblack

Larry Dwyer (12)
Just saw the Eastern Province U17s. Two player that play league in the squad. Well done ARU/NSWRU on keeping your DISGUSTING policy of allowing players to takes spots only to be allowed to return to their chosen code. Dead set joke. It's all good though, you've got your hands on the GPS players which was your goal from the start.

And you are surprised why? Unfortunately loyalty is a thing of the past and that is why so many kids are not interested in Reps or even club rugby , frightening thing is it gets worse in the 17 to 21 age group..

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Sunny,

I think you will find Logan and Ipswich are struggling for numbers.
Players/Parents are not trialling because they cant afford the $900+ fees.

I think they may have gone past the price point well and truly if that is accurate fee amount.

Sunny

Ted Fahey (11)
Sunny,

I think you will find Logan and Ipswich are struggling for numbers.
Players/Parents are not trialling because they cant afford the $900+ fees.
WOW, $900 +
That's really getting out of some families price range for sure.
How do they justify that cost?

Stripes

Chris McKivat (8)
U17 had their trial on Saturday. What was initially going to be 2 X 5hr trials ended up being 1 X 3hr trial. Trials were from 8-1pm however boys were finished by 11am. Probably due to heat and amount of boys trialling. Approx 80 boys trialled, which is very low considering last year over 300 boys trialled for Brisbane, Logan & Ipswich.
Initial squad will be announced on Wednesday, which will be reduced to final team of 28.
Any feedback from the U15 Brisbane, Logan or Ipswich trials?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sunny

Ted Fahey (11)
U17 had their trial on Saturday. What was initially going to be 2 X 5hr trials ended up being 1 X 3hr trial. Trials were from 8-1pm however boys were finished by 11am. Probably due to heat and amount of boys trialling. Approx 80 boys trialled, which is very low considering last year over 300 boys trialled for Brisbane, Logan & Ipswich.
Initial squad will be announced on Wednesday, which will be reduced to final team of 28.

There were appox 120 boys at Brisbane U15 trials, held over 2 Saturday sessions.
There was 3 games the 1st Sat and 2 games this Sat with some forwards and backs work thrown in.
Final 3 squads of 28 to be announced on Wednesday.
Appox price of tournament $950...

Delphy

Ward Prentice (10)
Appox price of tournament $950.
Wow! Is this a development comp or "pay to play"?

Seriously, given the main aim of JGC was to broaden the talent identification and development base, restricting participation to those who can spare a lazy grand is nuts.

Heavens game

Allen Oxlade (6)
Wow! Is this a development comp or "pay to play"?

Seriously, given the main aim of JGC was to broaden the talent identification and development base, restricting participation to those who can spare a lazy grand is nuts.
Rumour has it target fees originally approx $1200 but reduced down to 950+ dollars. It's a real shame I can't see how many will be able to manage this outlay. Could spell the end of this concept eventually as fees only generally go one way in years to come. Totally agree with all it is nuts.....

Allen Oxlade (6)

Looks like people are realising although JGC is great in concept it's VERY poorly executed and an absolute waste of time. The ARU have a lot to answer for in driving kids from our sport. Why would they try out for JGC and pay $950 when they can play league and trial for Harold Matts/SG Ball for free?

Willie-John McBride

Herbert Moran (7)
Looks like people are realising although JGC is great in concept it's VERY poorly executed and an absolute waste of time. The ARU have a lot to answer for in driving kids from our sport. Why would they try out for JGC and pay $950 when they can play league and trial for Harold Matts/SG Ball for free?

I hear you my boy was involved in what was the 1st Junior Gold Cup program 2 years ago and everyone was excited that the JGC program was going to change the landscape of the Australian game, attracting boys from league and AFL and opening the door to the talent at state schools to compete with the private school boys in what was geographically close to a Nationwide competition, great vision, very very very poor execution by the ARU. The program is now only affordable by private school boys making it an elite sport.
Comparing the Junior Gold Cup program with Harold Matts/SG Ball or Cyril Connell/Mal Meninga Cup league programs is a joke!! not only are the league programs free but they include the playing & training kit, air fares etc are free ...Coaches are also of a very high quality either they are ex NRL players or coaches that aspire to higher honours, they know they need to perform in these comps to strengthen their coaching CVs. The feedback I have recieved is that the coaching in JGC over the past two years has been ordinary at best, 2 years ago this is what you got.... JGC $650.00 = 5 games (Every player has to be guaranteed at least 1 start and one whole game) + Playing gear that's either too big or too small (There is no official sizing day) incomplete budget looking Training gear that does not fit + Ordinary coaches (Dads? or Club coaches?)
Hopefully with a 30% fee increase in 2 years players and parents can expect a lot more bang for their buck

This is the pathway to SUPER RUGBY/GOLD this is key selling point for parents and players

redblack

Larry Dwyer (12)
^^^^ Hopefully too its no pay no play and other teams/players are not "subsidised". Agree it was a great initiative and is evolving, like all things another pathway which is only open to those who can afford it.

Allen Oxlade (6)
I hear you my boy was involved in what was the 1st Junior Gold Cup program 2 years ago and everyone was excited that the JGC program was going to change the landscape of the Australian game, attracting boys from league and AFL and opening the door to the talent at state schools to compete with the private school boys in what was geographically close to a Nationwide competition, great vision, very very very poor execution by the ARU. The program is now only affordable by private school boys making it an elite sport.
Comparing the Junior Gold Cup program with Harold Matts/SG Ball or Cyril Connell/Mal Meninga Cup league programs is a joke!! not only are the league programs free but they include the playing & training kit, air fares etc are free .Coaches are also of a very high quality either they are ex NRL players or coaches that aspire to higher honours, they know they need to perform in these comps to strengthen their coaching CVs. The feedback I have recieved is that the coaching in JGC over the past two years has been ordinary at best, 2 years ago this is what you got.. JGC $650.00 = 5 games (Every player has to be guaranteed at least 1 start and one whole game) + Playing gear that's either too big or too small (There is no official sizing day) incomplete budget looking Training gear that does not fit + Ordinary coaches (Dads? or Club coaches?)
Hopefully with a 30% fee increase in 2 years players and parents can expect a lot more bang for their buck

This is the pathway to SUPER RUGBY/GOLD this is key selling point for parents and players

Mate you've nailed it. My son to was involved in the first year. As it was a bit of a hike to get to training I watched every session. Not once did the forwards practice scrums or line outs. Just did fitness and ran the backline. There were kids that've never played rugby before that had no idea what to do at the breakdown. Then they had to play games in February/March ..... When it was 36 deg!!!!!! As for the kids all getting a full game, I know kids in both 15 and 17 that got less than 15 minutes for the whole tournament.
The ARU set about to get there hands on the private school boys. Now that it's $950 they've met their goal. To quote the human headline.... SHAME SHAME SHAME!!!

Sunny

Ted Fahey (11)
Mate you've nailed it. My son to was involved in the first year. As it was a bit of a hike to get to training I watched every session. Not once did the forwards practice scrums or line outs. Just did fitness and ran the backline. There were kids that've never played rugby before that had no idea what to do at the breakdown. Then they had to play games in February/March ... When it was 36 deg!!!!!! As for the kids all getting a full game, I know kids in both 15 and 17 that got less than 15 minutes for the whole tournament.
The ARU set about to get there hands on the private school boys. Now that it's $950 they've met their goal. To quote the human headline.. SHAME SHAME SHAME!!!
Yer it's an expensive outing if you only get a game or only a game and a bit.
Will be interesting to see the Brisbane teams tomorrow, will one team in the 15's be loaded, or will they try and evenly spread out the talent?

Prince Henry

Fred Wood (13)
This is the sort of programme that the ARU needs to source some corporate support to execute properly. Based on the pasting that the concept is receiving above, a subsidised JGC would have broader appeal and access. Importantly, it would allow the development pathway to somewhat compete with rugby league. What a shame that the opportunity created out of the energy and momentum for rugby (off the back of a better than expected Wallabies RWC campaign) gets lost in poor execution, planning and foresight. Did the QRU consider seeking sponsorship for the development of their future talent pool?

Prince Henry

Fred Wood (13)
Some other points for the QRU and ARU to consider. If JGC is an important pathway, please enhance and update the information on redsrugby.com.au and rugby.com.au. It's so out of date and that just smacks of the amateurish nature of this so called professional sport. In 2015, information needs to be updated across your website, not just your news feeds!

Also, if the expectations are that mums and dads have to cough up a grand to be a part of this pathway, make it clear in your information.

There are so many talented kids out there playing rugby, a golden age for the Wallabies could happen if the pathway between 14 and 17 is seriously reviewed and programmes like JGC are seemingly not just money raising exercises but properly run talent identification and development concepts backed by commercially sort sponsorship. With access for the majority not the minority.

Willie-John McBride

Herbert Moran (7)
Some other points for the QRU and ARU to consider. If JGC is an important pathway, please enhance and update the information on redsrugby.com.au and rugby.com.au. It's so out of date and that just smacks of the amateurish nature of this so called professional sport. In 2015, information needs to be updated across your website, not just your news feeds!

Also, if the expectations are that mums and dads have to cough up a grand to be a part of this pathway, make it clear in your information.

There are so many talented kids out there playing rugby, a golden age for the Wallabies could happen if the pathway between 14 and 17 is seriously reviewed and programmes like JGC are seemingly not just money raising exercises but properly run talent identification and development concepts backed by commercially sort sponsorship. With access for the majority not the minority.

The program coordinators need to do more than just collect a pay chq they actually need to be passionate about the development of junior rugby, and seek sponsorship, take feedback on board and drive change where necessary, I feel JGC has gone backwards and the program has not improved at all, its a shame to because the timing is perfect with momentum picked up by Wallaby performances at the RWC.

Willie-John McBride

Herbert Moran (7)
Brisbane teams up on Redsrugby
Lots of AIC boys in the mix and state school kids in the mix, get the feeling those in the know, know better and have voted with their feet
Any word on coaches?

Status
Not open for further replies.