• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ARU looking to stage tournament to replace June Tests in 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
Australian Rugby Union looking at hosting international tournament in 2017 to secure June revenue
Australia could host an international tournament in 2017 featuring as many as eight teams, including the likes of Japan, the United States and Pacific Island sides.
The invitational competition is being contemplated by the Australian Rugby Union in a bid to ensure the Test window of June five years hence is kept exciting despite most tier one nations being unavailable.
The British and Irish Lions will be touring New Zealand in 2017, and with France scheduled to tour South Africa for a three-Test series, the best talent of the European teams will be tied up.
The Wallabies have Italy and Scotland penciled into the future tour schedule but the ARU would face the prospect of dwindling revenue playing either in a multi-Test format.
Discussions have been held, therefore, about bringing lesser-ranked teams to play against the Wallabies and each other in a mini-tournament.
Planning is still in an embryonic stage but the tournament could feature three, four or as many as two pools of four teams, with round-robins, semi-finals and a final to be played over a four-week period.
Scotland - who usually do not supply a huge amount of players to the Lions - and Italy would be involved, and the rest of the teams could be made up of tier nations who've been crowd favourites at Rugby World Cups, but rarely get any international exposure between tournaments.
Japan (coached by Eddie Jones) are seen as a natural fit for the 2017 tournament just two years out from the first World Cup in Asia, and there would also be a big push for Pacific Island representation given the ARU's initiatives to help grow the game in Samoa, Tonga and Fiji. There is even potential for an emerging tier two nation like Georgia or Russia to join in.
The idea of staging double-headers as big events has been discussed, to encourage fans to buy tickets to games they might not otherwise attend.
Staged after the current broadcast deal expires in 2015, the ARU could potentially even attract interest from expanding markets like Japan and the US to buy TV rights.
Like a World Cup, games would also be held across the country and at non-traditional Test venues, such as the refurbished Adelaide Oval. ARU boss John O'Neill recently committed to playing a "major Test" in Adelaide in 2014 before revealing the 2017 tournament plans.
"It is not a once-off. We're going to have a tournament style competition in 2017, and Adelaide will feature in our plans around that tournament as well," he said.
Planning for a 2017 tournament has to occur this year in order to lock in participants.
An ARU spokesman confirmed: "We are committed to developing our competition schedule for the 2017 season and while no firm plans are in place we are exploring numerous options to provide world class rugby."
I like the concept of this tournament. It would be great to host teams that we wouldn’t otherwise see as part of an inbound tour.

Here’s hoping the ARU can work something out as the idea has some merit.

C

Cave Dweller

Why don't they invite a Barbarians team or make up a Pacific Islands team and play a test series against them. OR a Pacific Islands XV, World Invitational XV and Australia. But will some of the clubs of these players agree with Australia's plans?

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
The good thing is that they are thinking about this 5 years ahead of time. This tournament would only be any good if two Australian sides were put in. With home ground advantage it's pretty hard to see us losing any games with a full strength squad. Now let's not bring up Samoa last year.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
If there are going to be 8 teams then Aus should make sure they field 2 squads for the tournament, the main squad and an emerging squad so that as many players as possible get to be involved. If they're looking for the biggest revenue having as many of the games featuring an Aus team would bump up the gate receipts.

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
Yes this should have started years ago! Finally a competition that can break the routine of tours, 4 nations and the occasional world cup as well as including the emerging nations. Maybe if it is a success it could be the basis for a real pacific cup every 4 years like how the continental cups work in football? Would become something else for rugby fans to anticipate alongside the world cup and lions tours. Other teams that could eventually be included are Canada, Argentina or Romania.

And btw forget the pacific islanders or an emerging squad. The islanders don't want to play with each other (thats why they don't tour as one anymore) and an emerging squad would just cheapen the tournament.

Group A
Australia
Scotland
Fiji
USA

Group B
Italy
Samoa
Tonga
Japan

top two to go to a semi final

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Think with eight teams and a finals format would not fit into a 3 week window given Australia would likely to be facing five matches then...

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Seriously....

I couldn't care less if they canned the June Test window and gave us more Super Rugby.

Another bye & 2 derbies would be good.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Yes this should have started years ago! Finally a competition that can break the routine of tours, 4 nations and the occasional world cup as well as including the emerging nations. Maybe if it is a success it could be the basis for a real pacific cup every 4 years like how the continental cups work in football? Would become something else for rugby fans to anticipate alongside the world cup and lions tours. Other teams that could eventually be included are Canada, Argentina or Romania.

And btw forget the pacific islanders or an emerging squad. The islanders don't want to play with each other (thats why they don't tour as one anymore) and an emerging squad would just cheapen the tournament.

Group A
Australia
Scotland
Fiji
USA

Group B
Italy
Samoa
Tonga
Japan

top two to go to a semi final

I'd switch Italy for Canada to be honest and actually while we are at it either Georgia or Russia for Scotland. This would be the perfect tournament to spread it around a bit actually. Move games into smaller centres, particularly those not featuring the Wallabies.

It would certainly provide some extra added physicality to the equation for the Wallabies.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I like this idea and would really get behind it. Obviously it needs work to, well, work but it's got a lot potential. A Wallabies and Emerging Wallabies team would be fantastic to see in action, especially since it would put really pressure on the non-performers in the A group.

C

Cave Dweller

I will add Georgia and Canada in that group. Both are higher ranked than Fiji as well and the USA

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Seriously....

I couldn't care less if they canned the June Test window and gave us more Super Rugby.

Another bye & 2 derbies would be good.

Amen to this.

They could better the competition with another bye and 2 more rounds so that you play every team from each country.

If only rugby could support itself without milking money from test matches

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Maybe if it is a success it could be the basis for a real pacific cup every 4 years like how the continental cups work in football? Would become something else for rugby fans to anticipate alongside the world cup and lions tours. Other teams that could eventually be included are Canada, Argentina or Romania.

I've been saying for years that what rugby lacks is people with a capacity for lateral thinking. Well done, MT.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
MT means pacific in the sense of peaceful, Bruce, I'm sure.

Not based on mere geography or oceans, but a rugby cup for nations at peace!

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
MT means pacific in the sense of peaceful, Bruce, I'm sure.

Not based on mere geography or oceans, but a rugby cup for nations at peace!
this is what i get for not reading my posts as i rush to finish before my laptop runs out of power. meant to have put that extra countries bit after the group stage in reference to the 2017 tournament.

W

Waylon

For a big dose of harden up, the wallabies could play a round robin with Fiji, Tonga and Samoa

The Pacific Nations were the big improvers at RWC 2011. It wouldn't hurt to have some exposure to their physical style

They also play some rugby worth watching

I think USA V Italy is an economic disaster looking for somewhere to happen

Status
Not open for further replies.