• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ARU relax foreign player laws

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
See this one on SARugby.com but nowhere on the newslines or in the topics threads. Thought it may interest you lot
ARU relax foreign player laws
Australian teams can each recruit up to two foreign players for next year?s Super 14 under a policy change endorsed today by the ARU Board in Sydney.

The nine-man Board accepted a management recommendation to lift the ban that has prevented teams from contracting any player ineligible for Qantas Wallabies selection.

There are, however, conditions attached to the relaxation of the Foreign Player Policy.

Provinces will be allowed to sign one ?marquee? foreigner ? an international who can never qualify for Australian selection because of an IRB regulation that limits players to one country representation throughout their careers.

The Australian Provinces will also be able to contract a second ?developing? foreign player who has yet to represent his native country at Test, Sevens or A-team level and could qualify for the Qantas Wallabies after three years of consecutive residency, as per IRB regulations.

If a Province decides not to recruit an established overseas international, it can sign two development players.

However, the signing of two overseas Test/Sevens/A-team players will not be permitted.

Restrictions will also apply to the contract period for a foreign star, with the overseas Test/Sevens/A-team player limited to a two-year stint at any one team.

Super Rugby teams wanting to recruit any foreign player will need to make an application to ARU before proceeding.

This process will ensure ARU?s development plans and programs are protected and enhanced by any recruitment.

?There is no doubt the injection of world class foreign players will create added interest in the Super Rugby competition,? said ARU chairman Peter McGrath.

?We?re also confident overseas players will be excited about the potential opportunities.

?It will not stop foreign Test players continuing their international careers outside Australia.

?We will always protect the sanctity of Regulation 9 which gives a national body first call on their eligible players.

?However, the idea that marquee players might want to come to Australia is something we should allow our Provincial teams to explore.

?French flyhalf Frederic Michalak played with the Sharks in South Africa this year.

?Likewise if there are talented young players in other countries who would like to pursue their Rugby dreams in Australia and one day play for the Qantas Wallabies, then this policy change will also open the door to them.?

ARU Managing Director and CEO John O?Neill said there were precedents for foreigners playing Super Rugby with Australian teams.

?Patricio Noriega played Test Rugby for Argentina before he joined the Brumbies in the early years of professionalism and Tiaan Strauss was a Springboks captain before heading to Australia and eventually playing for the NSW Waratahs,? he said.

?That was back in the 1990?s when players could represent a second country once they served three years of residency.

?IRB regulations no longer allow overseas Test players that same opportunity.

?As a result, we have had the doors locked to overseas players for several years.

?However, we have increased our Super Rugby footprint from three to four teams in the past couple of seasons.

?Moving forward we are also looking to further expand Super Rugby in partnership with South Africa and New Zealand and to generate further interest in what we believe is the best competition of its kind in the world.

?Therefore, the conditions are right to relax the prohibition on foreign players.?

* IN response to recent speculation the ARU Board has also re confirmed its policy not to consider for Qantas Wallabies selection any player based overseas.

The Board was adamant it would not be in Australian Rugby?s best interests to change the existing policy

Thoughts?

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Caveman, come on down.

I think this is sensible. It will pull the odd punter in for marquee players, and if there is a developing player better than a local, then they could only improve the overall standard of our players.

So, who knows some Argentine tight-heads that haven't played for the Pumas yet? We need 4.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Scarfman said:
So, who knows some Argentine tight-heads that haven't played for the Pumas yet? We need 4.
We have plenty of biltong & steak eating Paarliete. See that Saffers like Blue & Dion dont appreciate them, I'll start with Ruaan Smith. Just sent me the applications form and I'll act as agent free of charge.

The article is a bit to detail for myself, what in practically do this mean? Can you pick Aus players playing up north for the Wallabies and can Deans use his NZ & Cantab youngsters plying their trade in Aus?

Major Spliff Biggins

Fred Wood (13)
Will "marquee" players really draw a bigger crowd?

Who would these people be? Is Chabal that much of a drawcard? Couldn't we just get Mumm to grow his hair long and grow a beard for the same result?

Not to mention, why would anyone who well known enough to be a "marquee player" take a pay cut to play in the S14?

The best short term addition would be the Argie props as mentioned, but then we're taking away experience from Australian props that desperately need it, so it would be detrimental to the Wallaby team.

:nta: Not sure what realistic benefits we'll see, but don't mind the ruling personally. Will S14 clubs be opening the cheque book to raid NZ teams?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Major Spliff Biggins said:
Will "marquee" players really draw a bigger crowd?

Who would these people be? Is Chabal that much of a drawcard? Couldn't we just get Mumm to grow his hair long and grow a beard for the same result?

Not to mention, why would anyone who well known enough to be a "marquee player" take a pay cut to play in the S14?

The best short term addition would be the Argie props as mentioned, but then we're taking away experience from Australian props that desperately need it, so it would be detrimental to the Wallaby team.

:nta: Not sure what realistic benefits we'll see, but don't mind the ruling personally. Will S14 clubs be opening the cheque book to raid NZ teams?
I think they could. Whether we like it or not, high profile converts have probably helped the game - Sailor, Rogers, Tuqiri et al. I mean from a bums on seats viewpoint initially. The effect is transient, and interest drops off thereafter. Not saying they've helped the game otherwise necessarily.
A few well selected high profile signings might be good, and I have no problem with them. The issue of shipping in tightheads to "fix" our scrum woes is something else. Theoretically if they qualified as potential Wallabies a simple view would be they could be good. The real fix is to get / find people who can do a Mike Cron for us, not necessarily the cattle. There is no reason why we cannot find players with the potential to be great front rowers - we have before. The issue is training. We have players like Baxter and Dunning who are physically strong but lack technique. Sorry to go a bit OT.
I have no doubt that a player like Money-Bill Williams would bring 'em in for a while.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Look like this already shake some features in SA. :nta:
Superrugby
A change in the Australian Rugby Union?s (ARU) policy on foreign players competing in the Super 14 rugby tournament represents a massive threat to South African rugby.
The ARU voted on Friday to allow Australian teams to each recruit up to two foreign players for next year?s Super 14 -- overturning a previous rule that only players eligible for the Wallabies could take part in the competition.

With four Super 14 teams, the Waratahs, the Brumbies, the Reds and the Force, this means there will immediately be eight places open to foreigners and it appears certain Australian scouts will target South Africa?s rich rugby reserves.

South Africans such as Tiaan Strauss, Dan Vickerman and Clyde Rathbone have in recent years turned out for the Wallabies and the Australian Super 14 teams will almost certainly look for prospects in South Africa -- especially props and other tight forwards who are in short supply down under.

On their recent tour to South Africa the Wallabies were accompanied by David Nucifora, the former Brumbies and Auckland Blues coach who is now Australia?s director of coaching, and it is rumoured he left these shores with a briefcase bulging with the CVs of many outstanding young South African players looking to follow in the footsteps of Vickerman and Rathbone.

There are conditions attached to the relaxation of Australia?s Foreign Player Policy, but none which will deter a South African determined to seek greener pastures.

Australian provinces will be allowed to sign one ?marquee? foreigner -- an international who can never qualify for Australian selection because of an IRB regulation that limits players to one country representation throughout their careers.

The Australian Provinces will also be able to contract a second ?developing? foreign player who has yet to represent his native country at test, Sevens or A-team level and could qualify for the Wallabies after three years of consecutive residency, as per IRB regulations.

If a Province decides not to recruit an established overseas international, it can sign two development players.

However, the signing of two overseas test/sevens/A-team players will not be permitted.

Restrictions will also apply to the contract period for a foreign star, with the overseas test/sevens/A-team player limited to a two-year stint at any one team.

Super Rugby teams wanting to recruit any foreign player will need to make an application to ARU before proceeding, to ensure compliance with the ARU?s development plans and programmes.

The ARU also re-affirmed its policy not to consider for Wallabies selection any player based overseas.

Strong rumours have been circulating in local rugby circles recently that senior Springboks are considering a move to Australia -- with Perth, which is so much closer to South Africa, apparently a preferred destination.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
On their recent tour to South Africa the Wallabies were accompanied by David Nucifora, the former Brumbies and Auckland Blues coach who is now Australia?s director of coaching, and it is rumoured he left these shores with a briefcase bulging with the CVs of many outstanding young South African players looking to follow in the footsteps of Vickerman and Rathbone.

GO NUCI, BRING BACK SOME BEEF.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Scarfman said:
If they do their homework they can strike gold. Thing is, they want to go to Craven Week. There is talent but they'll stay because Saru caught them but the catch will be those outside the Craven Week. Those that lost out because of the qoutas in Craven Week.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
PaarlBok said:
Scarfman said:
We have plenty of biltong & steak eating Paarliete. See that Saffers like Blue & Dion dont appreciate them, I'll start with Ruaan Smith. Just sent me the applications form and I'll act as agent free of charge.

Paarl stop you're making sense again. ;D

When oh when do I ever say anything to lead you to believe I don't respect Paarl players? You are losing it because of your obsession with Snorre.

Relax mate, I respect the players. The world is not out to get everyone from Paarl. Really.

Having said that, since Hempies do Toit has there been a decent TH prop from the Paarl? :fishing

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Scarfman said:

I think if they do their homework they will find some really good players in the development squads of the S14 franchises.

The other alternative is to look for instance at older props who can play for another three seasons but bring a lot of experience to mentor youngsters? The money could be an issue but there are sure to be guys who want to actually move to Aus.

On the issue of Chabal I think he woudl be a great crowd puller. He has a reputation. Dean Mumm can do the beard but sorry, he doesn't have the character.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Blue said:
Having said that, since Hempies do Toit has there been a decent TH prop from the Paarl? :fishing
Hempies is a Paul Roser and Stellenbosch boer. :lmao: We send them to the prop factory in Brute land and look like they turn into Lieflings of Loftus. :nta:

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
Blue said:
On the issue of Chabal I think he woudl be a great crowd puller. He has a reputation. Dean Mumm can do the beard but sorry, he doesn't have the character.

He cant do a very good beard either.

A

Alis Choice

If the ARU feels the need to supplement its existing player base I would have felt the best option would be for them to identify talented players in the NRL U20s comp, preferably those who have a background in rugby.

Much less of a fuck around then trying to identify and bring over Saffer/Argies. Besides, when was the last time the Boks were a dominant force at scrum time?

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Alis Choice said:
If the ARU feels the need to supplement its existing player base I would have felt the best option would be for them to identify talented players in the NRL U20s comp, preferably those who have a background in rugby.

Much less of a fuck around then trying to identify and bring over Saffer/Argies. Besides, when was the last time the Boks were a dominant force at scrum time?

Uhm, the last three tests?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Blue said:
Alis Choice said:

Uhm, the last three tests?
Not sure but that look like a Planet Rugby poster. :nta: Sardyntjie may help here. Like Jury explain on the NPC one, that lot see only one team, Ali William Choise. ::)

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
The chat here sparked a bit of an article for the blog:

In a slow news week we've found out that next year Australian Super 14 teams will definitely be able to bring in overseas players for the first time, but if an Aussie player decides to fark off overseas, he can forget about playing for the Wallabies until he moves back home (a barrier too far to me gaining a spot in the team...).

The overseas player ruling has a few caveats in it. You can have up to two of them in the side, but only one of them can have played to international test, sevens or A-team level (the "Marquee" player). This seems to have been pretty universally accepted and should inject a little more interest in the comp, as well as making the step to 5 super teams a little easier from a talent pool perspective.

Part of the interest will be to see what kind of players the teams go for. Already there's been talk of scouring various countries - Argentina, Georgia, RSA to name a few - for answers to our propping problems. After 3 years the developing player would also be eligible for a Wallaby jersey, as well as driving seat at the barbie.

Another area that we totally suck in is tactical kicking. A Ronan O'Gara could definitely school a few of our boys on this.

So with my now hazy memory of the Super 14, here are a few ideas for the talent scouts:

THE FORCE - got shown up regularly at scrum time, so a prop or two wouldn't hurt. Giteau, will he stay or go? A good slot for an O'Gara or Wilkinson should he bail back to Canberra.

BRUMBIES - Also dependent on kid dynamite's hair dressing options, could do with some experience at 10, as well as a another back row partner to Smith or pillar up front.

REDS - If only you could take more than two! With Blake and Moore off the front row could do with a few more caps and kg's, and a fresh mungo at 15 is a bit of a worry along with 10 (not convinced on Cooper), 13, the back row and a partner for Horwill.

WARATAHS - There are two very big holes being left by Vickerman and Elsom, which a certain Captain Caveman could nicely fit into. Another slot for the Tahs would be an outright goalkicker at outside back.

Any thoughts out there on other potential signings?

As for defectors, it's fair enough that they should be able to play away, but this sanction is also about the only negotiating position the ARU has outside of the buckets of cash they no longer have. Should they reqlinquish it, you know they're in deep shizer.

Status
Not open for further replies.