• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ARU should have a look at Karmichael Hunt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshbristow

Peter Burge (5)
http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/go...-broncos-in-2014/story-fndv2w3r-1226783126466

Completely hypothetical at this stage, but after what we saw with Folau and how well that turned out for everyone involved, anyone reckon Hunt would be worth a crack?

Always thought he was the more 'complete' player than Folau was in League, he's already played Union professionally, and he was a hell of a lot better than Folau at Aussie Rules... nothing tells me he couldn't be at least as impressive as Izzy (in marketing terms as well as playing ability). (He's a bit older, but 27 puts him at his prime)

I also can't see Broncos having much money in the cap after Barba,Milford and potentially Cam Smith and Daly Cherry Evans... a repeat of the Folau-Parramatta situation that fell beautifully into the ARU's hands maybe?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Locked in at the Suns by all reports. He went ok during his stint in France. I'd see him as a 12 in rugby. Can play the ball but also strong with ball in hand and tackle like a demon.

I always thought he'd switch to lock in League in the Fitler mould.

T

TOCC

This old girl can be revived. Looks like the QRU, not ARU, are having a look at KHunt.
Well a report the other day said the ARU has held talks with him but they want him to play for the Rebels

T

tranquility

He would be awesome. No two ways about it.

The Reds will only be able to offer the base contract, so the ARU would have to come to the party. Would appear farcical if they didn't in my opinion.

T

Train Without a Station

He would be awesome. No two ways about it.

The Reds will only be able to offer the base contract, so the ARU would have to come to the party. Would appear farcical if they didn't in my opinion.

I don't agree. Hunt offers far more value to us than the ARU. His best position is likely to be 15, which is where the ARU already has a player who is likely best in the world. From their perspective, I can see why he wouldn't be worth a great deal of money when you have limited funds (a player's worth is only relative to what's on the market).

But god I hope they throw some money at him anyway!

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I do not follow AFL at all but why is he wanting to leave? Obviously he's paid higher there but I thought he was doing ok? I always heard he was much better at it than Izzy.

T

Train Without a Station

Qwerty he started quite well, had a good year in 2012 but due to injuries has been out of the team. The suns have some great young talent coming through which will limit his opportunities going forward. He started on the bench for his first game of the year last year.

He's not tall enough to play as a key defender and most midfielders will play a fair bit off half back or the wing where he could play a little, but even then in addition to Gary Ablett jr they've got some great young talent like Dion Prestia and Jäger O'Meara who are potential future Brownlow medalist at something like 21 and 19 years of age. Then down back they've got great talent like David Swallow. With all this youth and minimal experience they're a top 8 team. These players are only going to improve further and hunt would struggle to get more than a bench spot in a fully fit team.

T

tranquility

I don't agree. Hunt offers far more value to us than the ARU. His best position is likely to be 15, which is where the ARU already has a player who is likely best in the world. From their perspective, I can see why he wouldn't be worth a great deal of money when you have limited funds (a player's worth is only relative to what's on the market).

But god I hope they throw some money at him anyway!

This is not necessarily the case, and regardless a talent like his can't be negotiated like that. When Israel signed, everyone was saying their wouldn't be a position for him too. Kurtley Beale was then one of the best fullbacks, and we had Digby and JOC (James O'Connor) on the wings. I truly can't think of a back in Australia Rugby that has a better all round skill-set than Karmichael.

T

tranquility

Qwerty he started quite well, had a good year in 2012 but due to injuries has been out of the team. The suns have some great young talent coming through which will limit his opportunities going forward. He started on the bench for his first game of the year last year.

He's not tall enough to play as a key defender and most midfielders will play a fair bit off half back or the wing where he could play a little, but even then in addition to Gary Ablett jr they've got some great young talent like Dion Prestia and Jäger O'Meara who are potential future Brownlow medalist at something like 21 and 19 years of age. Then down back they've got great talent like David Swallow. With all this youth and minimal experience they're a top 8 team. These players are only going to improve further and hunt would struggle to get more than a bench spot in a fully fit team.

Gee they are a scary footy side in the making, add Harley Bennell, Nicholls, Jack Martin, Kade, Trent McKenzie.

T

Train Without a Station

I don't think we can compare the 2012 Beale to 2014 Izzy.

And ultimately talent has to be negotiated with that in mind. How can they both afford to, and not get offside senior players and non contracted players if they offer an immediate top up for a player who becomes a bench player?I honestly believe he'd be one of the best 15 players in aus.

At the end of 2012 Mike Harris was playing fullback and Beale hadn't been in top form since 2010. This year Izzy is a priority and only improved from a great 2013.

T

Train Without a Station

From what I remember of him in the NRL I reckon he'd be a great 13 but I've said the same about Izzy and maintain that until he's tried there.

Certainly has merit. Better defender and tackler than izzy. Harder runner too.

Wonder if he'd have the pace required?

Status
Not open for further replies.