• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ARU take over the Western Force.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Basketcase2.jpg

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Unfortunately, I suspect that Coach Foley and his playing "style" are part of the problem.

It is understood the ARU has no intention to involve itself with Michael Foley’s football program

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
I think it's a good move. Force are an outlying area and stronger links with ARU are beneficial. Ultimate goal financially will be a private investment like Melbourne and Highlanders. But ARU needs to run the program back into profits first.

Talk of moving the Force is nonsense in my opinion. The 6th Australian team can go there in 2020. Force are great.

Sent from my SM-A500L using Tapatalk

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Rugby has hit that point where the days of the ARU hand outs are no longer enough. There simply isn't enough in the kitty any more.

Clubs and the game as a whole need to change the way they operate and establish better commercial operations. We need to inject fresh blood and ideas that are innovative, entrepreneurial and possibly even radical but balanced.

The traditional management model is now obsolete, cumbersome and restrictive and the organisational and governance structures are now becoming the equivalent of access baggage.

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
The NZRU just announced a $9 million cash increase in club distributions. Out of NZ's 26 provincial unions 4-5 made smallish losses. Major financial restructuring of local unions 5 years ago has disciplined costs.

M

Moono75

Too many losing seasons has put the Force in this position. The fans were there and sponsorship dollars were there but we kept putting out losing seasons and the interest died from all but the die hards.

Spend some cash, get some exciting players into the Force, get a coach that can put an attractive product on the park, win games, generate interest, fans come back, revenue increases, sponsors like what they see and want to invest. This can be done if you have motivated people with sound management experience that can think outside the box. And any board members whose asses have put down roots in the establishment move them on.

I hope the ARU has the interests of WA at the forefront of their thinking with this move. We don't want to see a siphoning off of our best up and coming players across to the Warratahs as a managerial move to help reduce our player payments.

Lets Go Force rise from the ashes and be the great club you can be!

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Rugby has hit that point where the days of the ARU hand outs are no longer enough. There simply isn't enough in the kitty any more.

Clubs and the game as a whole need to change the way they operate and establish better commercial operations. We need to inject fresh blood and ideas that are innovative, entrepreneurial and possibly even radical but balanced.

The traditional management model is now obsolete, cumbersome and restrictive and the organisational and governance structures are now becoming the equivalent of access baggage.

Unfortunately, management structures have changed - and it simply led to more snouts in the trough, higher wages to back-room operatives, player payments and cuts to grass roots funding.

For example the ARU have in the past few seasons introduced the NRC and the JGC - both worthwhile initiatives, both lose money and neither work particularly well with the levels immediately above or below. The ARU modus operandi of late has been to identify a problem (real or perceived) and then try to set up something new to fix the problem. What we are left with is a patchwork of programmes and little bureaucracies that don't really function as part of the whole (some are a better fit than others).

It needs a single coherent structure from 6s to Wallabies where each level works with the level of the game immediately above and below, where duplication is eliminated and gaps covered.

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
The JGC and NRC are not intended to be money making. They are primarily development initiatives of which Perth desperately needs. The ITM Cup in New Zealand has never made a profit as a competition.

$25m in higher ARU revenues means there is enough to keep these going.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The JGC and NRC are not intended to be money making. They are primarily development initiatives of which Perth desperately needs. The ITM Cup in New Zealand has never made a profit as a competition.

$25m in higher ARU revenues means there is enough to keep these going.
Hmm,the ARU has just offloaded the Rebels,but will have to support them when the new owners inevetably run out of cash and or enthusiasm.
The Reds have just announced a $2M loss which will take years to turn around.
The Brumbies are in the poo,with Federal Police investigating what happened to their best egg.
The ARU have been supporting the Force by buying up their assets for cash recently.
Then the Wallabies are under wages pressure to stem the tide of better players going O/S.
And I'm tipping that the ARU will itself post a loss in 2015 as it does every RWC.
There are lots of competing interests for this $25M that you think will solve ALL of the games problems.

IMO anything below the 2nd tier, that is not self funding has a short shelf life in the current environment.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
The NZRU just announced a $9 million cash increase in club distributions. Out of NZ's 26 provincial unions 4-5 made smallish losses. Major financial restructuring of local unions 5 years ago has disciplined costs.

Over what time frame, how many clubs, and how much does that differ against past funding?

NZRU has 26 provincial unions so $9mil equates to approximately $350k per union that then needs to be spread across their clubs.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Hmm,the ARU has just offloaded the Rebels,but will have to support them when the new owners inevetably run out of cash and or enthusiasm.
The Reds have just announced a $2M loss which will take years to turn around.
The Brumbies are in the poo,with Federal Police investigating what happened to their best egg.
The ARU have been supporting the Force by buying up their assets for cash recently.
Then the Wallabies are under wages pressure to stem the tide of better players going O/S.
And I'm tipping that the ARU will itself post a loss in 2015 as it does every RWC.
There are lots of competing interests for this $25M that you think will solve ALL of the games problems.

IMO anything below the 2nd tier, that is not self funding has a short shelf life in the current environment.

And while all this is happening the number of young kids playing rugby (and thus becoming future money spending fans) is decreasing. Junior clubs which used to have to run joint ventures in 15s are now having to run them in 12s.

Status
Not open for further replies.