• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ashes 2019

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
Well all out for 176. Ball was turning right angles off the pitch. How good was Broad to Warner first up. Then Arche just bolwed a great line and lenght. Labuschagne certainly did his job as a Smith stand in. Khawaja, Head and Wade will be worried about selection in the next test. Hope our bolwing attack gets the same movement tonight.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Unless our bowlers can pull off a miracle tonight, we're done. Test to Poms in three/four days

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The English batting line-up isn't much better than ours. If it's a bowlers track then 180 doesn't put us out of the game, though we need to limit them to <250.

Remember they need to bat fourth, so a chase of 130+ could be tricky.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Going to need everything to go right with the ball tonight and hold on to all of our catches. Forget about trying to bomb bouncers on them, just pitch the ball up and let the conditions assist.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Hopefully it stays grey and heavy tonight. Day 1 was a great day to win the toss!

As an aside, i'm battling to stay patient with all commentators going French on the pronunciation of Labuschagne. I'm of the opinion it's lub-us-cug-ne, not lub-u-shane.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Well all out for 176. Ball was turning right angles off the pitch. How good was Broad to Warner first up. Then Arche just bolwed a great line and lenght. Labuschagne certainly did his job as a Smith stand in. Khawaja, Head and Wade will be worried about selection in the next test. Hope our bolwing attack gets the same movement tonight.

Very few options in the batting lineup. Anyone really want to see Marsh come back in? All comes down to a poor squad selection in the first place. I really have very little confidence in Langer as a coach/selector. Our batting lineup would look many levels stronger with Patterson and Burns there, but despite being in test match form they missed out to the likes of Wade and Bancroft. And why?, after a successful ODI world cup has Starc continued to be ignored? When rely so much on Lyon to take wickets in the fourth innings, it is almost imperative to have a LH fast bowler churning up the wicket outside the RH batsmens off stump.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Wade will be dropped sans a 100 second dig when Smith returns. Tough day yesterday, losing 8-47 was bad. Marnus and Warner did extremely well to get to over 130 for the loss of a couple of wickets. I feel poor light was partially to blame for Labuschagne’s dismissal which ended up decimating any chance of us limping to 200. Unfortunately, good weather forecast for play today which should aid England. Early wickets and we’re in the game.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Good toss for England to win, though I note that Paine said he would have batted if he won!?!?!?

I'd suggest it's a bat-off in the second dig between Wade and Khawaja to see who keeps their spot.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Good toss for England to win, though I note that Paine said he would have batted if he won!?!?!?

I'd suggest it's a bat-off in the second dig between Wade and Khawaja to see who keeps their spot.

It will be interesting to see if the pitch develops any spin for Lyon in the second innings, and if Paine was looking at making hay before the pitch turned?

IT shows good faith in the bowlers I guess, given our patchy record with the bat this series