• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ashes 2019

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
No doubt he's one of the best in world cricket. Lots of the best have also been amazing at home and not great overseas *cough* Virender Sehwah.

I just think that expecting him to make big runs in England is hopeful more than a reasonable expectation. Of course it might happen and he played an excellent innings in the first innings of the last test but I don't think we can rely on him to make lots of runs. He's played 11 tests in England and never made a century and averages 30. That's a pretty sizeable sample.
If he could get to 30, I’d be happy. Not expecting twin centuries, we needed runs from him in the 2nd innings last test.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The top order clearly has issues. BH is right, Warner has never played well in England and realistically is a home/flat (same thing) track bully. Marnus should bat at three for mine and one of Warner, Harris and Khawaja needs to go to make way for Smith to resume his rightful place at four.

LetsbeReasonable

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think we should try Uzzie opening with Warner, then Marnus at 3, then Smith, Head, Wade, Paine, Cummins, Starc, Hazlewood, Lyon

Missing out would be Harris and Bancroft. Harris often will get a decent score but always gets out without making a big score by swinging at one, and I’m not sure if thats better than Uzzie playing a lazy shot and making no runs (which might be more likely). Plus Harris is a better fielder.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
LbR you seem to have made a good argument for retaining Harris in the team. That's the way I'd go. Harris to lopen with Warner and then Khawaja, Smith, Head, Lauschagne. Same bowling attack. In my world, Wade would miss out.

Daveyyyyy

Frank Nicholson (4)
Who in their right mind would be putting Mitch Marsh in? He seems like a top bloke, but jesus, hasn't Wade done enough to hold him out?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Who are you referring to Davy? Far as I can see, nobody here has come up with any such outlandish selection. Not sure exactly why you would raise the question.

Daveyyyyy

Frank Nicholson (4)
"The top of the order ... that’s an area we’ll be looking at. Mitchell Marsh has certainly given us a good option." - Trevor Hohns

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
"The top of the order . that’s an area we’ll be looking at. Mitchell Marsh has certainly given us a good option." - Trevor Hohns

This doesn't make any sense at all. If they were to bring in Marsh (big, big if), it would surely be for Wade in the middle order. They can't be considering him at 3.

Daveyyyyy

Frank Nicholson (4)
This doesn't make any sense at all. If they were to bring in Marsh (big, big if), it would surely be for Wade in the middle order. They can't be considering him at 3.

I mean that is the other weird thing right? Bringing him in for wade is questionable enough, but top order tall is ridiculous.

Uh huh

Alfred Walker (16)
Here's the team I think they should pick for Old Trafford:

Warner
Burns (I acknowledge it's too late to bring him in now, but he should've been the first opener picked in the series)
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Wade
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood

Here's the team I think they will pick:

Warner
Khawaja
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Marsh
Paine
Pattinson
Cummins
Lyon
Hazlewood

Uh huh

Alfred Walker (16)

You just need to weigh up the costs and benefits of bringing in Mitch Marsh. Sure, it weakens your batting line-up, but on the other hand it also weakens your bowling attack.

Daveyyyyy

Frank Nicholson (4)
Warner
Khawaja
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Wade
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood

That’s what I think will happen. I really can’t see Marsh coming in.

Uh huh

Alfred Walker (16)
Warner
Khawaja
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Wade
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood

That’s what I think will happen. I really can’t see Marsh coming in.

I sincerely hope you're right. But mate you really need to get some runs, this'll be your third opening partner and you haven't produced an opening wicket stand above 13. I know, you're trying to focus on being a good bloke and we do appreciate it but mate, you need to make a score. Chin up.

Daveyyyyy

Frank Nicholson (4)
I sincerely hope you're right. But mate you really need to get some runs, this'll be your third opening partner and you haven't produced an opening wicket stand above 0. I know, you're trying to focus on being a good bloke and we do appreciate it but mate, you need to make a score. Chin up.

Ahhh I see what you did there.

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)
From the sounds that the media are making and Hohns interviews I think it will be:
Smith in for Harris (Khawaja to open)
Marsh in for Wade (absolute insanity/guy has more lives than a cat)
Starc in for Pattinson

I agree with 2 out of those 3 but really feel sorry for Wade if he gets dropped, has been our 3rd best batsmen this series.

Uh huh

Alfred Walker (16)
It is absolute insanity that they are even considering Marsh again. He's a worse batsman than James Pattinson and a worse bowler than Marnus Labuschagne. The man is a no-rounder.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
A perfect example of the Peter Principle in practice: performs in a minor match but always disappoints when promoted to the top team.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Sounds like the XI will be:

Warner
Harris
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Wade
Paine (c)
Cummins
Starc
Hazlewood
Lyon

Glad they've seemingly resisted the bizarre urge to put Mitch Marsh in for Wade.