• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ashes 2019

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)
WOO HOO

EDIT: Burns to come in for summer please.

Warner in last chance saloon surely.

Warner will score runs in Australia on the flat decks like always, so assume he will retain his spot. Just makes you think that with Broad bowling to left handers like he is we should have stuck with a left-right opening combo (preferably Burns instead of Bancroft).

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I sincerely hope Cummins isn't asked to go around for one match too many. I'm very concerned about his workload these last few months, a CWC campaign followed by an Ashes series is a bloody big ask, especially for a bloke who's had some very serious physical problems in his recent past.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Pretty much agree re Cummins Lindo. At the best of times, our best attack is Cum mins, Hazelwood and Starc. Pattinson in for any injuries or rested players. As consistent as Siddle is, I don't want to see him play at the expense of any of the other four. Hazelwood provides much tighter bowling at one end while also being a strike bowler.

I want to see Labuschagne given more opportunity to bowl, especially if he can get some one on one training from Warne. It is always comforting to have a useful or better leg spinner in the attack.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I think they might rest Cummins for the fifth test. He made some comments before the game about being fatigued, so I reckon they will play it safe.

Maybe give Neser a chance? Apparently he's rated by many behind the scenes.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
If there's movement, I'd definitely give Neser a go as he's supposed to be the one guy troubling Smith at training (think I mentioned it before) and had a great first class season with the ball. Is he in the squad? Otherwise, I'm sure Siddle or Pattinson can do the job. If we do play Cummins, I'd prefer it to be alongside Siddle and Hazelwood, rather than Starc, as they can bowl more overs and take some of the workload off.

Apart from the loss of talent, the other downside to Pat not playing is that he won't have an opportunity to push his ICC ranking higher and will lose points instead.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Smith jumped 33 points on the ICC batting rankings to 937. This is the 11th all time highest (he has the second highest of 947). Pretty crazy that in 5 innings he’s returned to the peak of all time greats.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I share the concern over Cummins' work load. I think there is a case for resting him and either Patto or Neser to come in. Name a XII with one of those two blokes in it and depending on how Cummins feels, include him or one of the other guys.

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)
Marsh in for Head, Cummins still in 12 man squad but Siddle there as well. Suprising that Pattison doesn't get included.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
MARSH! WTF? :mad: How many opportunities does Mitch need? How many times can he disappoint us?

There are times when viewing events from a distance makes things much clearer. 17,000km looks about right.

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
Having already retained the Ashes the pressure will be off, so this will be the game where Marsh scores a century and takes 10 wickets, thereby guaranteeing his place in the team for the next couple of years

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Seriously.

Neser scores 500 shield runs @ 43 including 5 fifties and takes 33 wickets @ 23 and that muppet still gets yet another cap.

Fucking rotten to the core.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The part I disagree with is dropping Head instead of Wade, though I think it's roughly a 50/50 call.

I can see the logic in bringing in a right-handed all-rounder, if the Oval pitch is as flat as people are saying.

I'm not as down on Mitch as others - all he has to do is make 20 or 30-odd and he's done better than all our other bats this series.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Mitch doesn't need a big score to remain in the mix for another year or two. He's a good WA boy, so he'll be right.

Like everyone else, I'd like to see a 3 - 1 result to the series, but the main thing now is that the Ashes have been retained. With the shambles that our batting has been in this series, I would personally have liked to see a bit more fiddling with the lineup for the Oval. I would have reinstated Khawaja to open in place of Harris and promoted Wade to open in place of Warner, who I would have brought in at first drop. Then Smith and Head at 4 and 5, and Marnus at 6 with more bowling time for him too. I would have avoided Mitch. I would not change the bowling lineup from the last test.

Uh huh

Alfred Walker (16)
The no-rounder returns!

Well, the Ashes are already secure, but Marsh now has the opportunity to make a significant contribution to our chances of winning the next series ... by getting a pair and shipping 0/100+ at 8/over.

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)
My problem is that its a myth he takes the load off the front line bowlers. He averages around 8 overs per innings when Paine or Smith have been captain. I would have thought bringing Khawaja in and lowering Labuschange down the order and got him to bowl 8 overs of leggies would have been a much better option.

Also why have they dropped the supposed Vice Captain before Wade? That again doesn't make sense to me, especially when they really have been equal in performances.