• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ashes 2019

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
It'll be a different kettle of fish playing Pakistan on a Gabba highway in late November. Smith and Labuschagne are the only two batsmen that are really locked in for that series, maybe Wade has done enough with his century last innings but the selectors have dropped players in better form before.

Glad that Smith, Cummins and the rest of the bowlers get to have an extended layoff after 6 months of toil in England. I've really enjoyed all the cricket that's gone on this year and I think all the controversy around the World Cup final and Smith's heroics have sparked a renewed interest here in Australia after a terrible couple of years.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Two centuries in England with our dearth of batting talent should see Wade retained.

Burns and Khawaja to be recalled.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'd be thinking something like this for the first test of the Summer.

Warner
Burns
Labuschagne
Smith
Head/Patterson
Wade
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Hazlewood
Lyon

Labuschagne, Smith, Paine, Cummins, Hazlewood, Lyon seem like they are absolutely locked in for the first test of the Summer if healthy.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'd be thinking something like this for the first test of the Summer.

Warner
Burns
Labuschagne
Smith
Head/Patterson
Wade
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Hazlewood
Lyon

Labuschagne, Smith, Paine, Cummins, Hazlewood, Lyon seem like they are absolutely locked in for the first test of the Summer if healthy.

Agree with that. One name I would be looking at though, and Shield form will be a big factor is young Pucovski.

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)
Very disappointing end to the series, to think if we had batted first or taken our catches on the first day we likely would have won. Think it was mostly down to lack of drive not lack of skill that we lost the match, our effort in the field didn't look the same as the previous 4 tests.

Interesting quote from Paine last night: ''I can't read a pitch so I'm always 50-50, we've got to bat, bowl better than we did in this Test Match''. If you can't read a pitch and can't use DRS then how are you captain? I really think they should pull Paine aside and let him know that this summer will be his last series (if he can't read the writing on the wall).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I really think they should pull Paine aside and let him know that this summer will be his last series (if he can't read the writing on the wall).

He's retained the Ashes in the UK. Something we haven't done since 2001 and something Ponting and Clarke never achieved.

He's still the best wicket keeper in Australia and has the third highest test average amongst Australian wicket keepers (behind Gilchrist and Haddin).

Alex Carey is the heir apparent but his keeping is not yet as good and his first class batting average is lower than Paine's test batting average. I think there's a solid chance he'll decide to retire at some point but I also think it is pretty premature suggesting that he needs to go. If you took away the captaincy he still currently deserves his spot in the side.

The decision to bowl first in this test after winning the toss was still insane though.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
^^^^
Plus he took over the captaincy in very difficult circumstances and steadied the ship well.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
^^^^
Plus he took over the captaincy in very difficult circumstances and steadied the ship well.

Absolutely.

I definitely think he's made some errors with his captaincy and his DRS use has been poor. He's not alone there though. Our usage was terrible when we were batting too which has nothing to do with him.

Rushing to try and bring a guy in to the test team who is really good at batting in T20 and ODIs is classic Australian thinking though so it might actually happen.

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)
I agree that he is has done a good job bringing the group back together and changing the culture of the team along with Langer.

However I don't think he is the best option of keeper. Carey's first class average is superior to Paine's and his keeping isn't that much worse from what I saw in the World Cup. That combined with Carey's batting performance in the world cup and age think if Paine wasn't captain that Carey would be getting a go.

The major problem is I can't think who they make captain, the only player thats a regular selection apart from Smith and Warner is Cummins but being a fast bowler and with the rotation policy its difficult to see how that works.

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)
Cummins didn't get rotated did he? Pretty sure he's played every minute all summer.

No, but the official line from CA has been that there is a rotation policy for fast bowlers to prevent injury. I guess if they made Cummins captain it would mean they'd select a pace bowling all-rounder (see M.Marsh) to lower workload. Not sure that is worth it.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I won't be surprised at all if both Warner and Khawaja are among the top run scorers in Shield cricket again next summer. And, if so, they will earn their spots in the test team.

However, they were dreadful, along with Bancroft, Harris and Head in the Ashes series. It was obvious to all that they were dreadful and something should have been done to address the issues. That is where I think Langer should be held accountable. By all of his public appearances, he doesn't look like he enjoys the job (contrast with the way Boof always seemed to draw enjoyment and satisfaction from his time at the helm), and the truth that so many of the batsmen failed time after time with the same technique deficiencies convinces me that he, and Hick can be lumped in here too, doesn't have the abilities required of a coach at this level. The lack of suitable back up batsmen was brought on by the initial selections, and again Langer was front and centre in that failure as well.

With Burns, Patterson and Pucovski available for selection when Pakistan come out, there should be a marked improvement in the batting success in the next test series. The appointment of Captain will be interesting. If it's true that Paine has admitted he can't read pitches, then he can hardly continue on as Captain. I expect he has another series in him as wicket keeper before retirement, but we'll have to hope that someone like Burns or Khawaja can step up to the plate as leader on field.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
There will be significant changes before the Pakistan series, I'll warrant. First needs to be a new coach. On that subject, a replacement for Hick should also be on the cards.

I called for the dispensing of this flat track bully some time ago. Can't be bothered finding it.

The selectors need to take a good, hard look at themselves. What happened to the fast-bowlers-rotation policy? Cummins (the fast bowler most at risk of injury after the CWC) played ALL FIVE tests, while Starc played one! Cummins was cooked for the last test, 5/111 from 46.5 overs about says it all. I fucking told you bastards BEFORE this test to not select Pat for one test too many, don't you pricks read my posts? And don't start me on the top order batsmen. Khawaja did a sterling job opening in Warner's absence the last 18 months, WTF didn't you try him at opener this series? And while I'm at it, what's Warner got on you blokes?, apart from a good-looking missus. He should've been dropped after the second test,

Rant over.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I won't be surprised at all if both Warner and Khawaja are among the top run scorers in Shield cricket again next summer. And, if so, they will earn their spots in the test team.

However, they were dreadful, along with Bancroft, Harris and Head in the Ashes series. It was obvious to all that they were dreadful and something should have been done to address the issues. That is where I think Langer should be held accountable. By all of his public appearances, he doesn't look like he enjoys the job (contrast with the way Boof always seemed to draw enjoyment and satisfaction from his time at the helm), and the truth that so many of the batsmen failed time after time with the same technique deficiencies convinces me that he, and Hick can be lumped in here too, doesn't have the abilities required of a coach at this level. The lack of suitable back up batsmen was brought on by the initial selections, and again Langer was front and centre in that failure as well.

With Burns, Patterson and Pucovski available for selection when Pakistan come out, there should be a marked improvement in the batting success in the next test series. The appointment of Captain will be interesting. If it's true that Paine has admitted he can't read pitches, then he can hardly continue on as Captain. I expect he has another series in him as wicket keeper before retirement, but we'll have to hope that someone like Burns or Khawaja can step up to the plate as leader on field.
You never go easy on the coaches hey BR.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
We are still a long way from the finished article as a team. The stellar performances of Smith, Cummins, Hazlewood and Labuschagne have papered over the cracks to a large degree. The openers have created way too much pressure on the middle order. At some point they won't be able to keep carrying the team. Paine is still the best keeper in the country and probably the best leader, though I do wonder about his tactical nous, as evidenced by some of his calls this season.

The bottom line is though: we need more help for Smith and Labuschagne. Get the top order right and someone better at 5/6 and the rest will take care of itself. The bowling attack has plenty of options and they can all play, just pick the right group for the conditions.