• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ashes Coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
The coverage of the Ashes is so pitiful I thought I'd start a thread.

Channel 9 were once the jewel in the cricket broadcasting crown, now they're a fucking joke. They're broadcasting in SD to Australian audiences, which is appalling considering that they're filming in HD for the UK audience. Meanwhile their HD channel Gem is showing a repeat of the 1959 film North by Northwest.

They don't show the last half hour in NSW (and likely other states), instead going to their shithouse infomercial disguised as a news program while their other digital channels show crap also. Do they not know how to move the cricket onto their other channels? Surely it isn't that hard.

They're still wheeling out a predictable and irritating commentary team who should have been retired 20 years ago and are still pulling out the tired old cliches and trying to flog Steve Waugh memorabilia. Fortunately there is www.testmatchsofa.com which is much more entertaining.

Once they led the way by sticking a camera in a stump, and coming up with the worm, it seems all investment in R&D is now done by Sky UK or third parties. Kerry would be turning in his grave.

I notice the anti-siphoning legislation is before parliament again, only now it's called anti-siphoning and anti-hoarding. Hopefully this means use it or lose it. I'd like to hear the Liberal's thoughts on a policy designed designed to ensure Australians' access to culturally significant events, however in practice it is achieving the exact opposite.

While Foxtel are prohibited from bidding for rights to co-broadcast, they're showing an ODI of India vs New Zealand in HD on 203. Looks really nice.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
It is a joke.

Same happened with Bathurst. They clearly don't know how to use their new channels.

Fuck free view, they can't really wonder why people look for alternatives.

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
I've heard that they do this so they don't diffuse (is this the right word) their ratings.
Which shouldn't be right. Neilsons should (if the run the same show on SD and HD channels) add the totals together.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Quality rant Moses. Every time I hear 'and now our Sydney viewers...' I crack the shits.

It also doesn't help that our cricket team are ordinary and a tad dull to watch. We've been spoiled with Warne, McGrath, Gilly, Hayden, Martyn et al.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Aye. It were good in the good old days weren't it.

The sun came up in the East, and went down in the West. Tides came and went every 6 hours. Australia won the cricket.

That's how things were, and should be.

When is someone going to tell this to the poms. Don't they know the rules????

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Ath the moment, I can't say I mind too much. If we were not getting hammered though, it'd be a different story...

Generally I have the TV on mute and listen to the ABC radio comm on top - the couple second time delay is worth to not have to hear that bunch of complete clowns ch9 call commentators.

Status
Not open for further replies.