• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Asia Pacific Dragons v South China Tigers - Queenstown, Singapore - 28 April 2019

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Should be a better game due to the improved ground conditions.

D45p2vVVUAA3HjZ.jpg large.jpg

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Switching it up for return bout

April 26, 2019

https://www.rapidrugby.com/switching-it-up-for-return-bout/

Asia Pacific Dragons
Starting XV: 1.Haamea AHIO, 2.Sekonaia POLE, 3.Ropate RINAKAMA, 4.Louis Johannes CONRADIE, 5.Joketani KOROI, 6.Michael MCKEE, 7.Fotu LOKOTUI, 8.Nili LATU, 9.Rowan GOUWS, 10.Latiume FOSITA, 11.Mitchell SCOTT, 12.Stacey ILI(c), 13.Asaeli TIKOIROTUMA, 14.Junior LALOIFI, 15.Kali HALA
Reserves: 16.Michael LEA, 17.Taniela KOROI, 18.Latu TALAKAI, 19.Naulia DAWAI, 20.Irwin FINAU, 21.Kurt HAMMER 22.Sireli BOBO, 23.Zac HARRISON JONES

Match officials
Referee: Richard KELLY, AR1: Matthew RODDEN, AR2: Charlie BROWN, TMO: Aaron LITTLEWOOD

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Dragons embracing rapid challenges

April 26, 2019

Over the past eight years the Asia Pacific Dragons have developed a brand synonymous with attacking and entertaining rugby. Having played as an invitational team in 7’s, 10’s and 15 a side rugby, the Dragons concept has provided more than 300 players an opportunity to showcase their natural skill and flair.

With this rich history behind them it is no surprise that when the opportunity came to join Global Rapid Rugby and its innovative law changes that encourage, free-flowing, free-scoring, running rugby, the Dragons grabbed it with both hands.

Starting a new era as a full-time professional squad in Singapore hasn’t been without its challenges, however Head Coach Ryan Martin has remained true to the team’s values and has been impressed with his first look at how Rapid Rugby is reshaping the landscape.
“It’s exciting, it is what spectators come to see,” Martin said.
“They want the ball in play, they don’t want to see endless lineouts and breakages in the match.
“I think it is definitely the future of rugby from a spectator’s point of view, and that is who the game is for. It’s a great concept and we’re just pleased to be playing in it,” Martin added.

Local fans will be able to get a first-hand look at the Rapid Rugby Asia Showcase when the Dragons line-up for their first home match of the series following two away clashes. With players having had time to get accustomed to the new laws and relentless running, Martin is confident his side can put their best foot forward against the visiting South China Tigers on Sunday at Queenstown Stadium.
“We have been together since January and training really well however we didn’t have the opportunity to have many high intensity pre-season matches so essentially the opening games have been a chance for us to get up to pace. We knew we’d be raw, but we are better for having played at that intensity and look forward to taking on the Tigers,” Martin said.

Bosting an abundance of international talent, the Dragons have shown they have the grunt up forward and the finishing power in the backs to cause plenty of headaches for opponents.
“I think the format of the match is awesome, obviously the ball is in play a lot more and definitely a lot more holes with teams trying to maintain their defensive alignment under pressure and under duress,” Martin said. “It’s a matter of adapting quickly and I can see we are doing that better with each outing.”

https://www.rapidrugby.com/dragons-embracing-rapid-challenges/

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
5e29h2y9oy

8ao9qcbur8

F5 refresh

It's a small ground seating around 4k but hopefully the weather is ok and they get a fair turnout:

HjDOgF4.jpg

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
5e29h2y9oy

8ao9qcbur8

F5 refresh

It's a small ground seating around 4k but hopefully the weather is ok and they get a fair turnout:

HjDOgF4.jpg
Nothing wrong with small grounds. We could do well to look at more appropriate grounds for other games, maybe not this small but no 40k +

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Nothing wrong with small grounds. We could do well to look at more appropriate grounds for other games, maybe not this small but no 40k +

For Singapore there's a really great looking facility that I cannot remember the name of at the moment that would not only be perfect for them but would look great on TV. As would Mong Kok in HK for the Tigers.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Full Time: Asia Pacific Dragons 42:26 South China Tigers

Good come-back win after last week's loss in Hong Kong.

Seeyou in Singapore next week APDs.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I watched the game...for me I still scratch my head on the investment case and making money on the costs of all the entertainment etc - but I supposed it has been modelled. I wonder how much marketing they have done given exhibition at this point as well

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I watched the game.for me I still scratch my head on the investment case and making money on the costs of all the entertainment etc - but I supposed it has been modelled. I wonder how much marketing they have done given exhibition at this point as well
I suspect they are looking more at a English Premiership or Top 14 model rather than one where a Union is responsible for finances

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
I suspect they are looking more at a English Premiership or Top 14 model rather than one where a Union is responsible for finances

The model is clearly fixed with private ownership of teams and the competition run by a professional organisation.
It's not depending upon crowd numbers at this stage.

Andrew Forrest has committed $150 Million to the cause over the initial 3 years.

Clearly a strong business case is not there for the interim showcase series.

Forrrest's intention was to grow the game in the regions (Asia/Pacific) while maintaining a professional team in WA.
So far so good despite the delays in getting the 8-team competion established.

The crowds will grow as the grass roots in each location are further developed.

Fine by me for anybody to question the viability of the current arrangements but they do not represent what GRR will move towards beyond 2019. Nor does the current competition show what GRR will become with more current Marque players for each team - who become available after the RWC.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

From articles last year they appear open to a range of different investment sources. The likes of Tigers and Fiji are Union backed while the Dragons, Kafiga are private and the Force is a bit of a hybrid of the two.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Got a mate in Hong Kong (plays for Hong Kong). After quitting his job to focus on the 8 week stretch for WC qualification, he got an offer for the South China Team. Said the offer wasn't even close to being worth it. Better off going back to a desk job after being unemployed for a while

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Got a mate in Hong Kong (plays for Hong Kong). After quitting his job to focus on the 8 week stretch for WC qualification, he got an offer for the South China Team. Said the offer wasn't even close to being worth it. Better off going back to a desk job after being unemployed for a while

It's like 4 games. What was he expecting?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Exactly. So how sustainable will it be I wonder
4 games in 2019.

Will be 10 to 14 games in 2020.

It's essentially their national team with add ons, so providing HKRU can support that, it will continue.

They'll also get some marquees funded by Rapid Rugby.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
From articles last year they appear open to a range of different investment sources. The likes of Tigers and Fiji are Union backed while the Dragons, Kafiga are private and the Force is a bit of a hybrid of the two.

The Western Force is totally owned by Minderoo and is operated independently from RugbyWA.