• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Auckland Blues To Infinity and Beyond

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Kirwan's tally of public coaching rejections ticks up to three.

Tabai Matson has confirmed he fielded an approach to join the Blues next year but says he is committed to the Crusaders.

Blues coach Sir John Kirwan, in a recent presentation to the board to save his job, put forward an ambitious plan to bring Matson to the franchise next year, with a view to grooming the Cantabrian for the head coach role in 2017.

But the Crusaders appear to have move swiftly to counter, with assistant coach Matson saying he wanted nothing more than to help the Crusaders towards the playoffs this season and that he was sorry about any unnecessary distraction the speculation around his future has caused.

I love this team and I certainly was not out looking for a new coaching role because I am very happy here. It is true that I was approached by the Blues about whether I would consider a move to their coaching team in the future should the opportunity arise. Aside from those initial discussions, nothing further in the way of any formal offer was considered. I made the decision not to take those discussions any further because I am committed to the Crusaders," Matson said.

"I want to unequivocally assure my Crusaders colleagues, the players and our supporters that I am still as committed to this team as I was at the start of the season, that my heart is still fully in this and that I am looking forward to helping this team go as far as it can go over the remaining weeks of this exciting and close competition."

Crusaders chief executive Hamish Riach welcomed Matson's statement and appeared to shut the door on any potential move next year.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...-to-join-blues-and-remains-loyal-to-crusaders

This is great stuff. TV3 should keep plunging the depths of cr*p TV by making a reality show out of the Blues next year. "Keeping up with Kirwan", or some such.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
ha, front page of tomorrows Herald:

"Caesarean Manoeuvre Stillborn!"

man, there has to be some sort of grandiose rubbish tragic/comedy Shakespearean photo essay in the offing from this.

possible last line........ "and with that, the Prodigal Son exiled himself to a life of torpor in deepest, darkest Onehunga."

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
image.jpg

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

I may be just another dumb-arse kiwi living in Oz (& thereby increasing the average IQ of both countries) but it seems to me that if your cunning plan for getting your contract extended hinges on hand-picking your successor then letting him spend a year soaking up your awesomeness before taking the reins, it might be a good idea to get the blok's signature on a letter of intent or some such.........

Nek minnit the Blues be getting SJK a mentor:

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Seems to be paying dividends across the ditch..........................

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
jesus, we might need a Taiwanese animation special to make any sense of this one.

Can't we just send in Olo Brown, Fitzy and the ghost of Peter Fatialofa to sort out these money wankers? No prick in his right mind would start arguing about money with that front row in the room.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
This private finance guy wants Kirwan to stay because he's good at "engaging private stakeholders" or some such. Why he can't just be given some management-speak PR job, while the coaching left to proper coaches, is beyond me.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
jesus, we might need a Taiwanese animation special to make any sense of this one.

Yeah, nah, one've your GunstonCorp ones will do nicely.......

Can't we just send in Olo Brown, Fitzy and the ghost of Peter Fatialofa to sort out these money wankers? No prick in his right mind would start arguing about money with that front row in the room.

How ironic that after all the suggestions that Kirwin's being protected by some kind of '80's Auckland Rugby Old Boys network it seems like it's the rugby heads who want rid of him & the spivs who want him kept on...............

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

GunstonCorp needs a "fixer".
Maybe not this one!
Fixer.jpg

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
Man, it's worse than first thought. They can't even get their recruitment right, Al-Qaeda is yesterday's news. Wellington are using Daish recruitment techniques now. Have you seen that video with the Australian trained doctor? Slick!

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Coach Kirwan "distraught" at missing out on bonus point vs Canes.

--NZ Herald--

Coach Kirwan is reportedly "distraught" at missing out on a "crucial bonus point" from tonight's Auckland Blues 300-nil loss to the Wellington Hurricanes. "We need to secure these bonus points when on offer in order to secure home field advantage for the duration of the playoffs" said an exasperated Kirwan. "Securing home advantage, for a home final, at our Eden Park fortress, well that would greatly ease our path towards clinching the Super XV Championship title. Bonus points? That's Coaching 101" continued Kirwan. "'Take the bonus points on offer', I keep saying to the team. Sometimes I really do wonder if the message is getting through."

kirwan_zps67473f4d.jpg

"Boners, Boners, Boners."