• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Auckland Blues To Infinity and Beyond

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Fun Facts* from The Halcyon Days of The Roman Empire
1995.jpg
*no, I did not make these up

ps apropos of nothing, North Harbour's backline in 2004:
  • Nick Evans
  • L**k McAlister.
  • Anthony Tuitavake
  • Rico Gear
  • Hosea Gear
  • Rudi Wulf
So good they only needed to field 6?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I can vividly recall sitting in the stand at Levin Park Domain watching the mighty 'nua taking on God-knows in a Div 3 SF (usually we'd have been leaning on the railing midway 22 & 10m line, Old Boys end, the better to give the match officials the benefit of our free advice & the quicker to get to & from the servery where it was possible (if not strictly speaking legal) to obtain beer. I don't recall it being pissing-down wet so suspect we stayed too long at the Oxford and/ or New Levin pre-match to get a good spot) & the ground announcer breaking the news that the Aucks were in the process of being royally rogered by the Mooloos. You could've heard a stubby being opened, such was the pall of silence......... followed by a good old-fashioned "whoohoo, somebody finally beat those muthafuckin' Aucks........ 'bout fuckin time......... who's round is it anyway?" Pretty sure we watched the highlights at the Cobb & Co en route the the Levin Cosmopolitan Club where chances are we watched them again. Good times, unless you were an Auck supporter, of course...................

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
haha, Auckland were so good then i dont even recall really rooting for them, it was just like some sort of accepted and expected royal procession, they did seem pretty arrogant about the whole thing too

Auckland Blues 2016.

Redefining positionless rugby.

NO GUARDS.

NO CENTRE.

NO COACH.

NO CLUE.

ALL FORWARDS.

POWER FORWARD: ?
POWER FORWARD: ?
POWER FORWARD: Faumuina
BIG FORWARD Steven Luatua
BIGGER FORWARD Patrick Tuipulota
BREAK FORWARD: Akira Ioane
BREAK FORWARD: Blake Gibson
BREAK FORWARD: Jerome Kaino
GO FORWARD: Bryn Hall
DON'T KICK FORWARD: Ihaia West
FASTBREAK FORWARD: Tevita Li
JAILBREAK FORWARD: George Moala
FASTBREAK FORWARD: Melanie Nanai
FASTBREAKFAST FORWARD: Rene Ranger
FASTBREAKFAST BACKWARDS FORWARD: Lolagi Visinia

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Like the Reds, you gotta think Kirwan is keeping his job as they haven't jettisoned the coach before season end and at least ridden a small wave of supporter goodwill from it.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ CruSadists are looking for a new flanker now the GOAT is off. With their recent player roster management examples in mind, I wouldn't be surprised to see one or both Ioanes in Red and Black soon.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^ I would: Reiko looks a long-term 7's player & Akira's strengths seem more suited to the you-hum-it-I'll-play-it Bloos than the more by-the-book CruSadists. Whoever the Bloos coach is next year will surely have Ioane high on their protected player list.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
"AND THUS FROM THE HEAVENS ABOVE TO UPON MT EDEN SINAI BELOW ON HIGH THE PROPHET AND THE SAVIOUR DESCENDED AS ONE TO BEHOLD THE BLUES HIGH PERFORMANCE CENTRE RENDERED LOWLY UNTO FILTH AND INEPTITUDE AND UTTERED SAGELY UNTO THE ASSEMBLED THEE'S "FROM WHENCEFORTH SUCH A BARREN EPILOGUE IS HEWN SHALL A BROTOWN MASSACRE SPROUT AND TERRORIZE THE LAND AGAIN WITH RUNNING RUGBY AND WINNING RUGBY AND THUS THE SEEDS ARE SOWN AND THUS AND FOREVER MORE IT SHALL COME TO PASS AMEN MUTHAF**AS."

Alexandra_zpshasrj3kk.png

drummer.gif

guygif.gif
guygif.gif

bowling.gif
bowling.gif

Last edited:

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
It's good news that Kirwan has gone, however I'm somewhat cautious over having Umaga as the head coach -- on account of his relative inexperience. I'd have preferred someone like Keane as head coach, with Umaga as one of his assistants. But the circus was well and truly smeckledorfed by the Chiefs there, so best just take what we can get.

That quibble aside, the board now needs to first open their hefty cheque book, then let Umaga do whatever the hell he wants with it. If the monkeys keep out of his way and let him recruit whoever he wants, and change whatever he wants, then I'm cautiously optimistic.

However, even the slightest bit of interference from the monkeys will see it all end in tears, along with another sacked coach and a tarnished, formerly-burgeoning, coaching career.

EDIT: Is there any word on where Wayne Smith stands in all this? I'd feel a lot better if the NZRU were to throw their Al Borland our ways for a couple of years.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well I hope Umaga doesn't sign without absolute certainty he has got players etc coming, because as zer0 says it could end in another burgeoning coaching career in tatters, there have been very few Blues coaches that have come out with reputations intact in last 10-15 years.