• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aus Super Rugby players to watch in 2020

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Ok, so a little game.
Players you’re keen to see, or players your you expect to have a breakout season in 2020 from teams other then your own team.

Solomone Kata(Ponies), try-scoring machine in the NRL but struggled in recent years, really interested to see how he converts and whether his skills are suitable to rugby union.

Tepai Morea(Tahs); NRL convert like above, I think he possesses attributes and skills in a position which not many other in Australian Rugby have. Very interested to see how he goes in the centre’s.

Andrew Deegan(Rebels); one of the more polished 5/8s in the NRC, and now Australian Rugby as a whole.. interested to see, and hoping those skills convert to Super Rugby and potentially test rugby.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I’m really hoping Rob Valetine has an injury free year. I remember watching him in the NRC two years ago and thinking ‘wow, this kid is good’. Pro sport can be so harsh at time so I hope he gets an injury free run so we can see if he can be as good at Super Rugby level.

The other 1 for me is Mark Nawaqanitawase. There is just something about this kid. I reckon he really looks the goods. 2020 could be a season too early, but I reckon we’ll see a fair bit of him.

If I can throw a smokey in their it’s Mack Hansen. He doesn’t seem to have captured the public’s attention as much as a few others but he seems pretty good to me.

Oh yeah - and Harry Johnson-Holmes (not sure if he qualifies given 2019 was something of a breakout). What’s not to love about a Ranga Prop. Well, apart from the fact that he is a Tah.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Liam Wright (one injury away from a test spot), Harry Wilson (has exceptional skills) and Henry Speight (re-born) at the Reds.

HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (strong prop with backrow skills), Will Harrison (imo best of the young No 10s), Mark Nawaqanitawase and Jack Maddocks at the Tahs.

Andrew Deegan, Rob Leota at the Rebels.

Some established players there, but the thread is about players to watch in 2020, not just the young players coming through.

I know I'm not meant to mention any Brumbies players, but a couple for others to keep an eye on are Isaac Fines (No 9) and Nick Frost (Lock).

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Nick Frost hopefully has a break out year, the Brumbies second row is up for grabs and Douglas/Neville dont really excite me much. Swain does and then it Enever and Frost.

And this could really effect the Brumbies next year going from Arnold and Carter to really one of the weaker 2nd rows.

Now who to watch.

Looking forward to

Kata at the Brumbies
Nawaqanitawase at the Tahs
Lucus at the Reds
Deegan at the Rebels

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
I'm most looking forward to seeing which 10 steps up if given the chance. Deegan and Lucas could go all the way and Lolesio impressed at NRC. Throw in Pasitoa and Keunzie as well as Harrison and Mason and there's some handy players.
Also, from the other franchises I think McRieght, Wilson, Frost, Kata and interested to see if Kellaway has improved significantly

Try-ranosaurus Rex

Darby Loudon (17)
Harry Wilson (Reds)- Expecting big things from Wilson this year after consistently being strong at the U20 WC and one of the best forwards in the NRC. I expect that he'll put a mortgage on the Reds No.8 jersey by season's end and be called into the Wallabies camp (perhaps the NH tour for experience).

Isaak Fines (Brumbies) - After a strong NRC in 2019, I expect Fines to challenge Joe Powell for the starting 9 jersey by the end of the season.

Andrew Deegan (Rebels) - Aussie rugby has been crying out for a skilful no.10 for some time. The optimist in me is excited by the prospect of Harrison, Pesitoa, Carter, Lucas, Kunzle, Lolesio, Donaldson et al. but I think it may be a year too soon for most.

Also excited to see McReight, Nawaqanitawase, Swain, Frost, Hockings, Kata and Morea amongst others.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Generally these types of articles/threads are a flex to who knows the youngest schoolboy. I'm more interested in the players who have been on the fringes and might really come of age.
1. Jed Holloway (Waratahs). What did the few months in Ireland do to his development?
2. Campbell Magnay (Rebels). Interesting career direction. I thought it was a good idea for him to go to Japan for a year (as he had played minimal football due to injury) but stayed longer and then went to a stacked Rebels team an struggled to establish himself.
3. Henry Speight (Reds). Missed the RWC squad when only one winger was picked. New environment who need his experience.
4. Irae Simone (Brumbies). 2016 Shute Shield season is a fair while ago. Really needs to take ownership of the 12 spot. Another at the Brumbies could be Cadeyrn Neville. Fringe Wallaby in his Rebel days didn't do much at the Reds. Couple of seasons in Japan could be late bloomer in the Fardy mould (Remember he was late to take up rugby).

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Harrison & Pasitoa

Is Pasitoa the kid that played 10 for whoever in the GPS comp in Brissy last year?
He a good couple of years away from being a super player if he is. I heard all the same about the 10 from Southport 2 years ago, he was real good I thought, went to NZ in Crusader's academy and as yet has not cracked it at ITM cup level, though admittedly he in Nelson and Mako got good squad. just think we forget sometimes how big the step up tp super rugby is!

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
4. Irae Simone (Brumbies). 2016 Shute Shield season is a fair while ago. Really needs to take ownership of the 12 spot.

"funny" unit, big, but doesn't play "big" - has good kicking and ball playing skills and will need them outside a noob 10 who will need support

B

Bobby Sands

Is Pasitoa the kid that played 10 for whoever in the GPS comp in Brissy last year?
He a good couple of years away from being a super player if he is. I heard all the same about the 10 from Southport 2 years ago, he was real good I thought, went to NZ in Crusader's academy and as yet has not cracked it at ITM cup level, though admittedly he in Nelson and Mako got good squad. just think we forget sometimes how big the step up tp super rugby is!

You could well be right, but those that are watching seem to think he is travelling pretty well. I suspect he will start the year in grade, and probably handle that level immediately just like Noah did.

The TSS flyhalf you are talking about is Parata, and he is/was (haven't seen him recently) a very good player.

With all due respect, he did not achieve close to what Pasitoa did at the same level - but his progress in NZ is still a very interesting comparison.

Edit: It appears he was nominated for Tasman player of the year? That seems like a pretty good first season to me.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/marlboroughweekly.co.nz/rugby-awards-handed-out/amp/

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
You could well be right, but those that are watching seem to think he is travelling pretty well. I suspect he will start the year in grade, and probably handle that level immediately just like Noah did.

The TSS flyhalf you are talking about is Parata, and he is/was (haven't seen him recently) a very good player.

With all due respect, he did not achieve close to what Pasitoa did at the same level - but his progress in NZ is still a very interesting comparison.

Edit: It appears he was nominated for Tasman player of the year? That seems like a pretty good first season to me.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/marlboroughweekly.co.nz/rugby-awards-handed-out/amp/

You could well be right Bobby, I admit to seeing a lot of Parata as I followed Southport, and hadn't seen a lot of Pasitoa, bt have certainly heard big things. He could well be great, I just like to give a kid a year or 2 in bigger stuff before stepping up to Super. Most Aus and NZ u20 reps usually need another year. But I will be well pleased if he does do as well as we hope.
Out of interest Parata won under 19 player of year in Tasman in club comp, still did well and a real good kid with big future!

B

Bobby Sands

You could well be right Bobby, I admit to seeing a lot of Parata as I followed Southport, and hadn't seen a lot of Pasitoa, bt have certainly heard big things. He could well be great, I just like to give a kid a year or 2 in bigger stuff before stepping up to Super. Most Aus and NZ u20 reps usually need another year. But I will be well pleased if he does do as well as we hope.
Out of interest Parata won under 19 player of year in Tasman in club comp, still did well and a real good kid with big future!

From what I can read from the article, he was named best U19 player - and nominated for best senior team Tasman player.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Clearly Mark ‘Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase)’ Nawaqanitawase has nominated himself as a player to watch in 2020.

Still waiting on Tepai Moroea to make his rugby debut, but eager to see how he transitions. As a schoolboy he was all the rage, his NRL form in recent years wasn’t as great.