• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aus Super Rugby players to watch in 2020

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Interested to see who will put their hand up. This could mean a U20 Star V a journeyman.

Hk - Amosa v Mafi v Rangi v Fitz
Lock - Hockings v Swain v Phillips
Jumping/Grafting no.8/6 - Harris v Wilson V Mccaffrey
SH - Mcdermott v Gordon
FH - Harrison v Lucas v Deegan
C - Moeroa v Meakes
OB - Nawaqa v Speight v Daugunu

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
We are right at the beginning of the four year WC cycle. There's not a whole lot of point in blooding veterans.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Pick the best player. If the youngster is good enough he’ll earn it in time, and he’ll be better for the experience.

If it is 50/50 then maybe - but I don’t reckon many of these decisions are truly 50/50 when it comes to it.

The point of blooding the veteran, if that ends up being the outcome, is to win more games. Our focus needs to be on winning every possible test.

And, returning to my initial point, where the youngster is good enough and is prepared to fight for his spot he’ll earn it soon enough.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Data has proven that the whole concept of 'the four year cycle' actually doesn't work. It's roughly a 2 year block leading into the world cup that is the most important for keeping a group together and building cohesion

Bloody players before they are ready can have negative impacts on both the teams culture/morale as well as the individuals development

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Brumbies: Lolesio and Ikitau. Can't see Len getting many minutes, behind Tevita, but rated really highly and now is the time. Big fan of Lolesio, love to see him own that 10 jersey. Also keen to see if Muirhead or Pulu can take the next step, as well as to see Pete Samu really make Cheika eat his words.

Rebels: Keen to see if Kellaway or Magnay can live up to the hype from their younger days. Also keen to see Uelese hopefully stay fit and get lots of minutes.

Reds: Where to start - super exciting. Really interested to watch Wilson at Super Rugby level, the development of Tate McDermott, and also to see if Seru Uru gets through for a couple of games at some stage.

Waratahs: The backrow. Hanigan, Dempsey, Hooper, Holloway, Swinton, Tafa, Gamble, Tizzano & Harris - all have big seasons ahead of them for completely different reasons.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I have to think kata, Wilson, Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase), to my mind are the ones with X factor who could set super rugby alight

B

Bobby Sands

Data has proven that the whole concept of 'the four year cycle' actually doesn't work. It's roughly a 2 year block leading into the world cup that is the most important for keeping a group together and building cohesion

Bloody players before they are ready can have negative impacts on both the teams culture/morale as well as the individuals development

I don’t doubt it, but which data/study/observation says this?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

I don’t doubt it, but which data/study/observation says this?

Purely looking at the Wallabies over the last four years and not really delving into it in detail, we debuted 40 players from 2016 to 2019.

In 2016, 13 players made their debut and 7 of those ended up in our RWC squad.
2017, 14 debutants and 6 made the RWC squad.
2018 had 8 debutants and only 1 made it.
2019 had 5 debutants and 2 made it.

Of the 2016 debutants, DHP, Allan Ala'alatoa, Reece Hodge, Samu Kerevi and Adam Coleman became regular members of our 23 over most/all of that cycle.

Rory Arnold and Tolu Latu were in and out over the four years.

Based off this and a bit of gut feel I would say that from a player's perspective entering test rugby pretty soon after a RWC is pretty important if you want to be picked for the next RWC. The later you leave your debut the less likely you are to make it (noting that both Isi Naisarani and Jordan Petaia who debuted in 2019 would have made their debuts sooner (particularly in the case of Naisarani) if it was possible).

I don't think it is important for a test team to try and narrow down their squad early in the cycle thinking it will be relatively stable for four years because it will largely be wrong.

At least a third and more likely around half of our 2023 RWC squad will have yet to make their test debut. Going on history, a lot of those players will make their debuts this year or next but may well not be consistent members of the team until closer to 2023.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
yeah exactly. The logic is to sort of 'lockdown' a side pretty accurately 2 years out. The process to get there like you say could involve multiple players

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Just going to make a point, the wallabies were pretty poor in 2019 and the 2019 RWC, should we really be using that squad as the statistical benchmark of when to bring players into the squad?

Perhaps it would be better if the analysis was conducted on one of the more successful teams, like the Boks or England?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Perhaps it would be better if the analysis was conducted on one of the more successful teams, like the Boks or England?

Let's try that.

South Africa debuted 46 players between the 2015 RWC and the 2019 RWC.

In 2016, 12 players made their debut and 5 of those ended up in the RWC squad.
2017, 11 debutants and only 2 made the RWC squad.
2018 had 19 debutants and 7 made it.
2019 had 4 debutants and 1 made it.

So roughly similar number of players made their debut in the four year cycle (46 vs 40 for Australia). Roughly half the 2019 RWC was made up on those players (15 vs 16 for Australia).

The big difference for South Africa is how many players made their debuts in 2018 compared to us and that a bunch of those went on to play at the RWC.