• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aus Team of the Week - round 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Suggestions for team of the week? I'll have a go with some backs...

9. Burgess (Tahs)
10. Halangahu (Tahs)
11. Tuqiri (Tahs)
12. Barnes (Reds)
13. Ioane (Reds)
14. Turner (Tahs)
15. Gerrard (Brumbies)

Barnes for the Reds is probably the scratchiest choice, not sure if I'd choose Fairbanks or Carter though. Don't like selecting Burgess when he can't do his primary skill well.

Forwards?

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
9. Burgess (Tahs)
10. Halangahu (Tahs)
11. Tuqiri (Tahs)
12. Barnes (Reds)
13. Ioane (Reds)
14. Turner (Tahs)
15. Gerrard (Brumbies)
Agreed

Forwards
1.Who Else
2.TPN
3.Palmer
4.Caldwell
5.Mumm
6.Mowen
7.Braid
8.Salvi

Barnes didn't kick well last night but was good ball in hand very creative when taking the ball to the line, I still think Gits & Barnes should swap at test level.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Ash said:
Don't like selecting Burgess when he can't do his primary skill well.

Kicking arse and taking names is a bad thing ? Good thing you aren't a selector.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
naza said:
Ash said:
Don't like selecting Burgess when he can't do his primary skill well.

Kicking arse and taking names is a bad thing ? Good thing you aren't a selector.

Burgess's is a compromise. If you want someone to take a game buy the scruff of the neck and keep the tempo high he is your man. On Friday night he did just that and caused havoc. The downside is that his adrenalin can also step up and he can throw some duds.

Earlier this year he was slower at the breakdown and throwing great passes, I prefer the guy having a go, but making some mistakes.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Once again, a few interesting selections.

Australian team of the week

March 30, 2009 - 11:55AM

Each week, Greg Growden and Rupert Guinness pick the form Australian Super 14 team.

15 Sam Norton-Knight (NSW) (4)
14 Clyde Rathbone (ACT) (1)
13 Tyrone Smith (ACT) (2)
12 Berrick Barnes (Qld) (4)
11 Lote Tuqiri(NSW) (3)
10 Daniel Halangahu (NSW) (1)
9 Luke Burgess (NSW) (2)
8 Wycliff Palu(NSW) (4)
7 Phil Waugh (NSW) (4)
6 Ben Mowen (NSW) (2)
5 Mark Chisholm (ACT) (3)
4 Dean Mumm(NSW) (3)
3 Guy Shepherdson (ACT) (2)
2 Tatafu Polota-Nau (NSW) (2)
1 Benn Robinson (NSW) (5)
(Number of times selected in brackets).

Player of the round: DANIEL HALANGAHU. It wasn't the perfect performance by the new Waratahs five-eighth, but he controlled the game well and with poise.

Try of the round: LUKE BURGESS. A sneaky snipe down the blindside from a scrum, and the Test halfback was away to enjoy an opportunist try.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Player of the round: Polota-Nau was in a class of his own.
Definitely my pick of the week.

I'm glad they picked Rattlebones as I also thought that was his best game in a long long time.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
disco said:
Player of the round: Polota-Nau was in a class of his own.
Definitely my pick of the week.

I'm glad they picked Rattlebones as I also thought that was his best game in a long long time.

Yep, terrific to see Rattlebones back to some form. I wonder, however, if he can get back to near his best. He was a fabulous player when fit.

On the other wing, I don't think there was much between LT and LT. I had the shorter and faster LT a little ahead of the taller and slower LT but wouldn't quibble with Rugby Heaven's selection.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I thought Gerrard went alright in the beaten Brumbies side. Thought Ioane was better than T. Smith at 13, but Ioane was only there for half the game.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
A pity you have to pit Smith against Ioane. Didn't think Barnes had a good game and would have liked Smith to take the 12 spot

TPN was great, but those throws......

As for Gahu - thought he had an average+ game with poor competition for the spot.

Hard to see how you can go past the Tahs back row for what they did in Auckland

Status
Not open for further replies.