• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AUS Tour to NZ 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Going to be a very interesting chase, that's for sure. How's the wicket playing? NZ may rue not picking a spinner if it's starting to break up.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
You're not actually that concerned which side the ball lands on when you're doing that. Reverse swing relies on the ball being pretty roughed up in general so the tactic of bouncing the throws in on the pitch is just to make the ball rougher, faster.

You keep shining one side but in general the ball is getting more and more roughed up. Eventually it should start reversing when the original rough side becomes particularly roughed up and the air stops acting on that side of the ball as it did early on.

It's a tactic straight from the Pakistan play book.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's a tactic straight from the Pakistan play book.

They discovered/invented reverse swing. The subcontinental pitches certainly favour it because they are so dry and rough that the ball deteriorates faster.

I really don't see an issue with it. It's absolutely part of the game particularly when everything else favours the batsmen.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I'm OK with roughing up the ball so long as it doesn't lead to outright scratching/gouging or rubbing things on the ball that aren't sweat. After all, the ball hits the pitch and often the ground nearly every delivery and looking after the ball to get it to reverse is a skill in itself. You can't make it go the other way by beating the crap out it, otherwise it would reverse every time it got old.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Yes, but it's the laws of cricket which apply, not what we think is fair or right or appropriate. To me it's an anomaly that players can shine the ball, but can't do the opposite - but the laws are the laws.
The match ball - changing its condition

(a) Any fielder may

(i) polish the ball provided that no artificial substance is used and that such polishing wastes no time.

(ii) remove mud from the ball under the supervision of the umpire.

(iii) dry a wet ball on a piece of cloth.

(b) It is unfair for anyone to rub the ball on the ground for any reason, to interfere with any of the seams or the surface of the ball, to use any implement, or to take any other action whatsoever which is likely to alter the condition of the ball, except as permitted in (a) above.

(c) The umpires shall make frequent and irregular inspections of the ball.

(d) If the umpires together agree that the deterioration in the condition of the ball is greater than is consistent with the use it has received, they shall consider that there has been a contravention of this Law. They shall

(i) change the ball forthwith. It shall be for the umpires to decide on the replacement ball. It shall, in their opinion, have had wear comparable to that which the previous ball had received immediately prior to the contravention.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I'm OK with roughing up the ball so long as it doesn't lead to outright scratching/gouging or rubbing things on the ball that aren't sweat. After all, the ball hits the pitch and often the ground nearly every delivery and looking after the ball to get it to reverse is a skill in itself. You can't make it go the other way by beating the crap out it, otherwise it would reverse every time it got old.

Yep. I have a theory that the ball is mostly roughed up by the batsmen when they hit it into the pitch square, or over the fence into concrete walls or paths. If the NZ batsmen are so concerned about the amount of reverse swing the Aus bowlers are getting, I suggest they stop hitting it into the turf and just hit it on the full to the closest fielder. ;)

BTW, I was encouraged to see Wagner get no-balled and a warning (apparently) for excessive bouncers in the second innings. Better late than never, I say. How he wasn't no-balled for overstepping on the delivery he fell down in his last over though is a mystery. Clear ground between the line and his heel where he landed on the front foot just before he took the tumble.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Anyway, 130-odd to win, and barring a traditional mid-order collapse we're back to #1. Hardly feels worth it after thumping the Windies and having a moderately successful double-series against the Kiwis.

I want to put the Poms to the fucking sword.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Yep, it's within striking distance now and a well deserved series victory is hopefully the end result. The key thing will be to not get bogged down and artificially increase the pressure. The boys just need to go out there as if it's 1/0, accumulate steadily and make the bowlers come to them -- just like the first innings.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hazelwood charged with dissent & takes the early guilty plea. Match Ref Broad to impose a sanction after its all over tomorrow (mid-afternoon, I would think).

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Probably fair enough too. Fortunately these incidents are few an far between and I reckon the five tests have been played almost totally in the right away across the summer.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Behavior is inexcusable, players deserve more or less whatever they get.

Still, can't help but think that the umpire should give a little bit more than a stoic shake of the head. Kettlebot has been head and shoulders above his counterparts on the field and in the box this series.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Fine given - 15% of match fee.

Incident is here if you missed it

The quality of that on field mike is amazing. Wonder if the local producer turns it up when the Aussies are fielding;).

We might end up back in the day when Gilchrest used to talk about non-sponsors when they didn't want the broadcasters eavesdropping.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
A fair penalty imo. There wasn't any maliciousness in his voice, just an enquiry to ask who the third umpire was. Without the expletive (which is one of the most common in-use words in the language today, anyway) there wouldn't have even been any concern.

And just for the record, there was a small hot spot on the bat before it hit, or didn't hit, the ball. Probably caused by glancing off the pad on the way down, but it was there and seemed to be the same spot it was decided the ball made contact. Given how many replays are gone over time and again to decide most referred matters, this decision was unusually quick.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Nothing in it. Once again the internet is in an mock outrage over sweet fuck all while actual outrageous things are ignored. Clearly out though. The hot spot definitely changes after the ball passes.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
And then, with 16 runs to get, cricket enacts it's stupid rigidity and the players walk off for lunch.

I love test cricket but it really doesn't help itself sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.