• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AUS Tour to NZ 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Oh dear God, make it stop! :)

Anyhoo.......

Great to see the scoreboard has recovered from this embarrassment a few years back:

image.jpeg

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Siddle 8th Aussie to 1000 runs and 200 wickets too.

Bat to 200 for Voges, then start throwing the bat around tomorrow?

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Voges is in great form and I don't get the hate. He has outplayed everyone bar Khwaja this summer who I'd say has been better due to success across the three formats. Warner and Smith have faced the same opposition and he has outplayed them. Maybe like Siddle who is just a plodder the guy is underrated. Hussey burst onto the scene and was lauded from every quarter and Voges has to be content with being told he isn't as good as his form suggests.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Siddle 8th Aussie to 1000 runs and 200 wickets too.

Makes him an all rounder :)

Caption on TV said he's the 100th Strayan to 1,000 Test runs.

Voges is in great form and I don't get the hate. He has outplayed everyone bar Khwaja this summer who I'd say has been better due to success across the three formats. Warner and Smith have faced the same opposition and he has outplayed them. Maybe like Siddle who is just a plodder the guy is underrated. Hussey burst onto the scene and was lauded from every quarter and Voges has to be content with being told he isn't as good as his form suggests.

It's not hate (at least not from me), it's more WTF? How is this even possible?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
He's both WOB. Thought the 8th to 1000 and 200 was of far more note, 100th to 1000 is a record for Australia, for Siddle, it's just a numerical anomaly.

Joins some impressive names. Johnson (49 tests), Benaud (49), Hughes (52), Lindwall (52), Lee (53), Warne (58) and Gillespie (70). Took longer than most, 61st test.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
Why are we all surprised at how well Voges has done? He had to work his way into the side through the Shield. We seem to forget how good shield cricket actually is, and how good players are who finally get a spot in the test side after serving lengthy shield apprenticeships - Hayden, Langer, Katich, Hussey, Rogers, Jaques (dropped after a century FFS), Haddin. I could even add Khawaja to that list, he has been on everyone's radar for years now, but made the move north and hopefully will add starch to a middle order that was frankly shithouse over in England.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Why are we all surprised at how well Voges has done? He had to work his way into the side through the Shield. We seem to forget how good shield cricket actually is, and how good players are who finally get a spot in the test side after serving lengthy shield apprenticeships - Hayden, Langer, Katich, Hussey, Rogers, Jaques (dropped after a century FFS), Haddin. I could even add Khawaja to that list, he has been on everyone's radar for years now, but made the move north and hopefully will add starch to a middle order that was frankly shithouse over in England.
There's doing pretty well, and then there's doing "currently a better average than Bradman" well!

Voges has been lucky with the bowlers he's faced, but done bloody well nonetheless.

Windies incompetence goes without saying these days but haven't the kiwi attack been disappointing over these 4 tests.

They are the bowling equivalent of flat track bully batsmen. If they don't have favourable conditions they have shown absolutely nothing.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Some talk about the pitch being green and bowler friendly, but to me it looks like what a test match wicket should look like. It gave something to the bowlers on the first morning and let's face it, the Kiwi batsmen didn't handle it that well at all. Batting has gradually become easier and one would expect days 2 and 3 to be good for batting. I'd like to think that it will break up on days 4 and 5 and batting will become progessively more difficult. It's why it's called "test" cricket - it's a true test of every facet of the game. And winning these types of matches is much more satisfying IMO.

Both our batsmen and bowlers have done well and it's good to see. (Notwithstanding an appalling umpiring error)

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Straya +280 with four wickets in hand & three days to play. I was at the Basin for three of the great NZ rear-guard batting performances: Crowe & Coney v England ('84), Crowe & Wright v WI ('87), Crowe & Jones v Sri Lanka ('91). Williamson could possibly emulate Crowe but sadly I just don't see anyone capable of playing the Coney/ Wright/ Jones role.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Unfortunately for NZ, they were about 100 below par on day 1. While the wicket had a little bit for the bowlers, it certainly wasn't a 180 all out mine field.

I reckon par for day 1 on that pitch would have gone something like:
Lunch 3/70
Team 5/160
Stumps 8/250

Come back day 2 and end up all out for something 300 plus.

Hard to see Australia lose from here - NZ just not enough runs on the board.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
They are the bowling equivalent of flat track bully batsmen. If they don't have favourable conditions they have shown absolutely nothing.

Boult and Southee have been plagued by injuries since the World Cup. Shane Bond not continuing his role as bowling coach has further compounded the issue.

Williamson could possibly emulate Crowe but sadly I just don't see anyone capable of playing the Coney/ Wright/ Jones role.

Watling?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Weather shouldn't be a factor, forecast for today is warm (max 25) & clear, tomorrow warm (max 24) & clear, Tuesday warm (max 24) with some cloud developing. Top half of the island got hammered again but no sign of it moving south of about Taupo & the next load of wet stuff not due for a few days yet.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Cracking c&b by Anderson, nearly as good as Boult's yesterday, Straya nine down & Voges looking good for more red ink. Lead is 350 so stick a fork in us, we're done.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Boult and Southee have been plagued by injuries since the World Cup. Shane Bond not continuing his role as bowling coach has further coach

Probably because of all the overs they've had to bowl on roads to Adam Voges!

It's one reason NZ are going to struggle to be consistently competitive these days. Quicks get injured. Test matches and ODIs are back to back to back. You have to have the depth to rest/cover them. Just not enough players in the country.

The spinner is the biggest problem. Can't be trusted to keep pressure on or limit runs so the quicks have to shoulder too much of the load.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Australia 562 all out, Voges last man out for 239 (obviously Jackson Bird didn't read the script :)).

NZ 1/81Guptill out caught from a pretty sloppy shot off Lyon.

Nasty looking bushfire near the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.