• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AUS v IND ODI Series 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
India win on the last ball with a great run chase. As Highlander said, some ordinary bowling from the "quicks". Like Bancroft behind the stumps.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Here's my thinking. Even with Starc and NCN injured, Faulkner and 2 of Pattinson, Hazelwood and Hastings should come in and help shore up the bowling lineup for the 3 of them.

You'll have 7 genuine batsmen in that lineup before the keeper, plus all 3 of the other options can swing the bat just fine, better than the ones who they should be replacing. Why not just play Neville? There's obviously the lack of hitting power and stuff, but he's a competent player of spin, one of the best runners between the wickets which is important for late innings 2s and 3s, and the "best" wicketkeeper in the country.

It's not going to happen, but I think it's worth considering. Handscome would be the other option, but you're dealing with the same issues as Bancroft, and to a lesser extent Wade.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
agreed, Paine seems the the best T20 option, if Haddin doesn't want to play the hit and giggle.

Fantastic match from Watson. Batted brilliantly and bowled damn well too.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Can we all agree that Wade shouldn't be anywhere near the team? In the words of Bricktop from Snatch: "he's a useless shite that boy ... punish him for me Errol".

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It seems like we're further away from finding the right T20 side than we were before.

I'd look at this as the squad (15 players).

Batsmen: Finch, Watson, Khawaja, Warner, Smith, Maxwell,
WK: Haddin or Paine
Bowlers: Boland, Tye, Boyce, Faulkner, Zampa/Beer/Lyon, Hazlewood, Laughlin, McKay/Hastings

I think Faulkner's T20 bowling has fallen away. I'd really be looking at Ben Laughlin as a potential option for that bowler who can play a lot of slower balls and wide yorkers.

Clint McKay continues to do well in short form cricket. His experience could be really valuable.

You've got to pick two genuine spinners for a tournament in India. I think Boyce has been the best of them and I'd be looking between Zampa, Lyon and Beer for the other spinner.

I think you pick those 6 batsmen in every match. I'd probably open with Khawaja and Finch.

Keeper is a challenge. We're not going to be opening the batting with our keeper so we need to find the best one to be a hitter batting at 7 or 8. They also need to be reliable behind the stumps.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The bowling attack is still the weakness. Faulkner may have fallen away, but the likes of Boland, Tye, Boyce, Zampa/Beer/Lyon, Laughlin and Hastings have never (not yet) reached a level to fall away, unfortunately. Assuming he is fit, Pattinson should be there, and probably also Siddle if we are to be any chance of going through a batting lineup of any quality.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Selections and the game plan for the ODI and T20 series played against India seemed based on the idea that it didn't matter about the bowlers, just pick a long batting order and back yourself to chase down any total. Worked in the ODIs but came crashing down in the T20s. The plan (if it can be called a plan) also works better on flat batting tracks as seems to be the norm in Australia at the moment. As previously discussed, the current selection panel borders on the dysfunctional - even with Finch out they still can't find a spot for Khawaja.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Some big changes in the T20 squad for the World Cup.

Smith (c), Finch, Warner, Khawaja, Watson, Maxwell, M Marsh, Nevill, Faulkner, Hastings, Agar, Coulter-Nile, Hazlewood, Tye, Zampa.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Some big changes in the T20 squad for the World Cup.

Smith (c), Finch, Warner, Khawaja, Watson, Maxwell, M Marsh, Nevill, Faulkner, Hastings, Agar, Coulter-Nile, Hazlewood, Tye, Zampa.
Said all year we will get bumped in the group stages and I won't be changing my mind based on that team.

Losing Starc, Cummins, Johnson, Behrendorf and NCN (picked but hasn't bowled for months) is way too big a hurdle.

Spin bowling options are all not good enough, and our batsmen can't play spin.

Not great when going to India

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Good to see a better keeper included, though Paine must be unlucky to continually miss out. Ussie in there at last - selectors the last to see the light, again. Can't see why Agar is there - spin adequately (just) covered by Zampa and Maxwell. Can't see he'll get much game time, but his batting is arguably better than Maxwell's atm. Better looking bowling attack but would have liked to see Pattinson included if fit at the time probably for Tye.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
5 bowlers, 5 all rounders, a wicketkeeper and 4 batsmen, plus Smithys part time leg spin, and Finch's "slow" left arm.

Variety in Bowling options clearly the priority, particularly with the failure of Head and Lynn in the India series.

Status
Not open for further replies.