• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aus vs NZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Nice Session. Early spell from the Kiwis showed there's still stuff for the Seamers to work with in the pitch, Khawaja settled well after starting a little nervy and a composed half century from Voges.

Some quick runs in the afternoon session, then look to get 40 or so minutes of bowling in before tea IMO.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Stumps, Day 2:

Aus 556/4
NZ 157/5

What
The
Fuck.

I have a steak & kidney pie on the line here, now praying for rain as I insisted I have the draw.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Sigh. Aim of the game was to bat time and wait for the rain, or at least the end of the day. Why they sent out McCulum (arguably) and Neesham -- two batsmen who value their wickets as much as a hooker does Monopoly money -- over Watling, I know not.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Sigh. Aim of the game was to bat time and wait for the rain, or at least the end of the day. Why they sent out McCulum (arguably) and Neesham -- two batsmen who value their wickets as much as a hooker does Monopoly money -- over Watling, I know not.
Current weather pattern seems to be night-time or very late afternoon rain. There'll be a result in this. Possibly in the 3rd session tomorrow.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Nothing happening, then Starc gets wickets with a shit ball he lobbed from back near the stumps, and Johnson remembered he's a fast bowler.

Taylor's footwork either too much or not enough, and balance was terrible.

That pitch is true as fuck. Just that the Kiwis look rusty as an old fish hook.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Kiwis on the ropes and an Aussie win the most likely result. Afternoon storms always a chance in Brisbane, but with the new laws about making up lost time the next morning, won't be enough time lost to matter.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
At least Williamson kept you out there long enough to avoid the follow-on being enforced, but we'll still be needing the weather to turn to shit tomorrow & Monday if we're to avoid an epic defeat

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
At least Williamson kept you out there long enough to avoid the follow-on being enforced, but we'll still be needing the weather to turn to shit tomorrow & Monday if we're to avoid an epic defeat
Storms brewing to the north and south but we're going to have plenty enough time to finish this game

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yup, you really should be ~450 in front by stumps at which point I'd declare but Smith will likely want to be 500+ in front first - so say mid-morning session tomorrow: pull out with ~40 til lunch & give Starc & Johnson a double opening spell each. That'd just about do it for us, The guy I've got the S&K pie bet with doesn't work Mondays so I may buy the pie Monday & leave it on his desk for Tuesday morning (he's meant to be a vegan so WTF is he doing accepting bets for pies in the first place?) :)

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Great knock from Williamson.

Disappointing captaincy here from McCullum. Nothing happening, one day fields set and there seems no plan other than to stop boundaries. Southee is a big loss and this is a bad sign for the rest of the series.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Well played Joe Burns, great way to bring up the hundred. I said last season that I thought he looked a likely type and I'm really glad to see that he's followed through on that.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Kiwis up against it here with a depleted bowling attack.

100 to Burns in style off 102 balls with 2 x 6s to finish off.

His non-selection (and Khwaja's for that matter) for the West Indies and England tours, in favour of the Dad's Army squad, looks even worse now that it did 6 months ago.

A bit of rain here, but one suspects not enough to affect the result.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Warner says "We're not here to fuck spiders!" and nabs a ton.

Kiwis are wounded and sinking. They'll need to draft in 1 or 2 bowlers for the next game, praying Southee is right.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Can't see Southee being fit for the second test which starts this Friday. Neesham also looked to have picked up some sort of injury. Off spinner Craig came back well after being carted everywhere in the first innings - took 3 wickets and bowled quite well, but still went for five and a half an over.

Can't see this NZ attack taking 20 wickets - maybe with the pink ball at night they have a chance of doing so. It seemed to swing and seam everywhere in the recent shield match.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Pretty gutted for Southee, he's quality but an inflamed disc is not a good injury for a quick bowler to have. I'd be very surprised if he gets up for Perth.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Can't see these blokes getting 500 in two days, especially with our pace attack and Lyon lurking on a crumbling pitch.

TBH, it's one of the delights of hindsight seeing how a disaster could've been avoided. Haddin's come out and acknowledged the Ashes tour was one too many for both Watson and himself. Although in Watson's case probably ten tours too many..... Once Brad'd worked that out he questions why they were sent to the WIndies. Dean Jones reckoned many years ago there were times when it was harder to get out of the Australian cricket team than get in, in this case that holds true.

Status
Not open for further replies.