• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aus vs NZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Can't see these blokes getting 500 in two days, especially with our pace attack and Lyon lurking on a crumbling pitch.

TBH, it's one of the delights of hindsight seeing how a disaster could've been avoided. Haddin's come out and acknowledged the Ashes tour was one too many for both Watson and himself. Although in Watson's case probably ten tours too many... Once Brad'd worked that out he questions why they were sent to the WIndies. Dean Jones reckoned many years ago there were times when it was harder to get out of the Australian cricket team than get in, in this case that holds true.

If ever a series was lost in the selection room before a ball was bowled, it was the last ashes series. (And I said so before a ball was bowled ;) )

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Storms coming in from South East, passing over Logan now so can't be too long before it hits the 'Gabba.

image.gif

Williamson 55* & almost on the rather short list of kiwis to have scored 200+ runs in a match.

http://www.blackcaps.co.nz/archive/records

EDIT: sawn off on 59 so 199 for the match. Surely that ball was going over the top of the stumps..............

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Players not coming back after tea. Weather coming in.

Play can start half an hour early tomorrow morning, so if standard Brisbane weather patterns occur, there will be enough time tomorrow to finish the match.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Players not coming back after tea. Weather coming in.

Play can start half an hour early tomorrow morning, so if standard Brisbane weather patterns occur, there will be enough time tomorrow to finish the match.

It only rained here (Marsden, Logan) for 10-15 minutes, I suspect they'll get back on. Next bit of wet stuff is still down around the GC so probably won't hit until after stumps.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
It'll be a travesty if the weather denies us tomorrow, but that's cricket. Hopefully they'll make up enough time to give us a shot at taking the seven remaining.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
NZ will already be assessing their bowling stocks. Henry in for Neesham or Southee?

Southee would be a day-by-day prospect. Sinal disc trouble isn't going away quickly, and presents a risk even if it does.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Kiwis still have a bit of batting there and the pitch isn't playing many tricks at all. If ever you had to bat day 5 to save a test, you'd ask for this pitch.

Having said that, I expect Australia to be able to take the 7 remaining - the unknown factor being the weather. Showers clearing the forecast for Brisbane, so the players could be on and off during the day. An Aussie win 70%, draw 30%.

Moving forward, the problem I see for the Kiwis isn't the batting, it's the bowling. Southee would be considered unlikely to recover for Perth this week and one assumes that his replacement is a lesser bowler. They'll need to bowl a lot tighter to take 20 wickets - far too many easy runs for Australia in this test.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Wagner has 48 Test wickets at 34.48 & has taken just one five-for in 16 matches/ 30 bowling innings; Southee had 144 @ 31.63 with four five-forms in 41 Tests/ 76 innings. So, yeah, quite a drop in standard even if they pick him. On a more positive note he's a lefty so provides a point of difference c.f. Henry.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
I guess McCullum is going down the Nathan Astle blaze-of-glory route. Fair enough, I guess. Really needs Watling to hang around if he has any hopes of this silliness actually bearing fruit. That and a healthy serving of good luck.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I like it. He's no gonna bat the day out conservatively. If they get to lunch without losing another wicket, then pressures on Australia. 200 odd in 2 sessions would hardly be fast scoring. Suddenly Smithy has to get his bowlers going a bit more conservatively, to avoid losing as well as lookin to win.

All falls to shit if he gets out going for something stupid, but it'll be a good strategy otherwise.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Sawn off by the (otherwise really good) umpires.

Shows the massive issue with DRS at present. Everyone knows its not out with 1 replay, but can't do anything about it. Exactly the reason for having a drs

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Was fun while it lasted. Even if I was just watching numbers on a computer screen.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
A great breakthrough in Oz cricket:
Smith, in his first Test in charge since formally taking over from Michael Clarke, had spoken on the eve of the game of the need to respect the opposition. "I thought it was pretty disappointing. He's done it a few times and I'm going to have a word to him when we get back down in the sheds," Smith said of Starc. "So I don't think it was necessary at the time and hopefully he can improve and get better from that."
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket...s-head-in-by-steve-smith-20151109-gkueot.html

Status
Not open for further replies.