• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AUS Vs WI 15/16

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
It's a very odd selection panel, who come up with very odd selections. On the basis of the past 12 months, nothing would surprise me any more on selections. When it suits them Shield runs/wickets mean a player has to be picked, when it doesn't suit them Shield performances are irrelevant.

Mark Waugh said last night on Fox that it was a "gut feeling" - and I suspect that this is how the current panel operates.

Certainly in Mark's case. He's a born punter and will go with those instincts I think. He's probably a pretty good judge and really our selection panel over the years have got it right a lot more often than wrong.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Windies currently 6/59 and about to lose by an innings and plenty against a team of guys who can't even make their shield side.

There are no more warm up games planned before the Hobart test.

This could get a bit ugly.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Certainly in Mark's case. He's a born punter and will go with those instincts I think. He's probably a pretty good judge and really our selection panel over the years have got it right a lot more often than wrong.

I agree, over the years our selection panels have mostly got it right. I'm not sure we can say that about the current one though - witness the disastrous Ashes selections.

Instincts are fine in isolated cases, but even then needs to have some basis in form. IMO a coherent, logical process will lead to more long-term success than Junior's gut feelings.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Windies currently 6/59 and about to lose by an innings and plenty against a team of guys who can't even make their shield side.

There are no more warm up games planned before the Hobart test.

This could get a bit ugly.

I think they could play 10 warm-up games and it wouldn't make any difference.

In the past 10 years, the West Indies have played 33 test series and have won only 6 of those.

08/09 v England in West Indies 1-0 (5 test series)
11/12 v Bangladesh in Bangladesh 1-0 (2 test series)
2012 v NZ in West Indies 2-0 (2 test series)
2012/13 v Bangladesh in Bangladesh 2-0 (2 test series)
2012/13 v Zimbabwe in West Indies 2-0 (2 test series)
2014 v Bangladesh in West Indies 2-0 (2 test series)

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/westi...am/series_results.html?class=1;id=4;type=team

Ugly is an understatement. It's hard to see a competitive series being played.

I hope that CA have dropped the ticket prices.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Amla currently on 6 off 115 balls, 5 of which have come through inside and outside edges. Batting for a draw agaiant an OK India - they need to make it through 5 sessions chasing 440.

Firstly, is there anyone in Australia who could play that innings?

Secondly, who was the last person that could/would have?

Thirdly, needing 440 at 3 an over, would they be congratulated here if they did?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Amla currently on 6 off 115 balls, 5 of which have come through inside and outside edges. Batting for a draw agaiant an OK India - they need to make it through 5 sessions chasing 440.

Firstly, is there anyone in Australia who could play that innings?

Secondly, who was the last person that could/would have?

Thirdly, needing 440 at 3 an over, would they be congratulated here if they did?

There are very few players in world cricket these day who are capable of batting out a day for a draw, let alone 5 sessions. I recall that Michael Atherton batted for 10 hours in South Africa once to force a draw.

I strongly doubt that the entire West Indian team could bat for 5 sessions.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
There are very few players in world cricket these day who are capable of batting out a day for a draw, let alone 5 sessions.
Did a little research to answer my own question. Australia has only ever had 5 guys in the history of test cricket bat out a day (360+ minutes) in the 4th innings of a drawn match.

I was a bit surprised by that - you get the impression that guys can't bat time now but it's not like there was ever a golden age when it was routinely done.

Longest ever innings - R Ponting against England 2005. Stackpole, M Waugh (!), Dyson and M Taylor complete the list.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Faf Du Plessis is the other bloke who comes to mind.

If I had to wager on one of our blokes being capable doing something similar it would be Khawaja.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Hashim Amla doing a pretty good job of it.

But nowhere near enough. The lesson being that even if you are playing for a draw, you'll stay in longer if you actually try to score some runs.

Amla out for 25 of 244 balls (3rd wicket to fall). South Africa all out 143 off 143 overs.:eek:

India won by 337 runs. South Africa would have got closer going for the slog.;)

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
South Africa would have got closer going for the slog.;)

To an extent, I agree. I think when the fourth innings looks hopeless, the chasing side should just bat to the best of their collective abilities to make as many runs as possible and to stay in as long as possible. Not exactly going the slog, but looking to see what sort of total they might have been able to chase for future reference. Learn as much as you can, even if the situation is dire.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Ashton Agar with a ton for the Warriors today batting at 7. If he can grab a few wickets in the second innings you'd think his case for selection is strong.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Mitch Marsh maybe. He's averaging mid 40's with the bat this season and has made two hundreds. Then again, Ben Dunk is going even better (500-odd runs at 66 with three hundreds) and so is George Bailey.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
He'd be eyeing off Mitch Marsh spot, especially if Mitch moves to 7 for the next test.

Are you advoctaing him playing as a batsman, bowler or all-rounder?

I don't think that he has the bowling figures at this stage to be a bowler or even an all-rounder.

MMarsh has been filling a valuable bowling role, so a move to 7 makes sense for him. I haqve a lot of time for Agar, but he needs to get amongst the wickets to be considered.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Curtley Ambrose is even scary as a coach.:eek:

1449608195303.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.