• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AUS Vs WI 15/16

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
NZ 430/9, Bracewell closing in on a maiden 50 with last man Boult, who already has one, just arrived at the wicket. Curiously Boult's average (16ish) was better than Bracewell's (11ish) prior to this innings.

EDIT: Bracewell LBW 47, NZ 431. Bracewell asks ump " can I review it?" Ump says"nah, mate, DRS is broken at the minute. Sorry 'bout that". Fuck me. OK it was hitting leg about 2/3rds of the way up, but still........

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I think it's now quite obvious that we should be playing a 5 test series against NZ. WIndies bowling attack was supposedly their strength, but is barely 1st class level. We should be hosting them at Darwin or Cairns in the off-season as we do with Zimbabwe and Bangladesh.

The DRS needs fixing on a number of levels. The only consolation is that at the moment the on-field umpiring is the best that I can ever remember - barely a decision has been overturned and even they were 50/50 calls. Whoever is selecting and coaching the umpires has got it right - pity they don't work for World Rugby (who stuggle with this).

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Aussies declare at lunch 4/583. WIndies 0/13 thus far. Channel 9 commentary team doing a herculean job in trying to talk up the West Indians. Reckon we'll have them at least 7 or 8 down for not much over 200 by stumps.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
WIndies 6/207 at stumps. Bravo batted well for 94 n/o, nicely supported by Roach on 31.

The game might make it to Sunday.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^ yes! Yes it will, told ya :)

Seriously!? Cricket cannot help itself can it..

More the host broadcaster's fault IMO but, yeah, not a good look.

Just as a by-the-way I'd like to see an experiment whereby some of the world's leading bowlers of various types bowl at an unguarded set of stumps; freeze-frame the ball when it gets to say 1m from the crease; then compare DRS ball-tracker to what actually happens. I'm not convinced ball-tracker is all it's cracked up to be, everything seems to be hitting roughly half a stump and/or bail, very rare to see a clean miss or a dead-centre hit so I reckon my experiment would go a long way toward proving ball-tracker's validity or lack thereof.

EDIT: as would retrospectively ball-tracking some famous deliveries such as Warnies "ball of the century" or any number of Waqar's big in-ducking yorkers.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
SL 197/4 at stumps so overall it's 628/14 in two days, strongly suggesting that a draw is more than likely unless (a) the pitch rapidly deteriorates and/ or (b) someone does something quite extraordinary with the ball, with or without the assistance of (a). Uni Oval's track record suggests (a) is unlikely.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Aussies declare at lunch 4/583. WIndies 0/13 thus far. Channel 9 commentary team doing a herculean job in trying to talk up the West Indians. Reckon we'll have them at least 7 or 8 down for not much over 200 by stumps.

Strange declaration IMO: why not give Voges say 40min to get to 300 or get out? Straya having scored so quickly, it'd be unlikely to jeopardise their chances of obtaining a result.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Tracker showed that Holder wasn't out LBW but he didn't review. Was either a bit of a shocker by the umpire or tracker has a different view to almost anyone who was watching. There was no obvious error in the tracker projection of the ball's trajectory, but to the naked eye it really looked like the stumps were in real danger of being hit.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Holder's close to 200cm tall & was struck on the knee rolls ~3m from the stumps. Ball goes OTT every time, should've reviewed it & I'm picking that he & Bravo would've had an interesting chat about it during the rain delay..........

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Windies capitulate for 148 in 2nd innings. Australia by an innings and 212 runs. Great result for Australia, not such a good result for test cricket. Unfortunately the remaining two tests will follow much the same pattern and will be swamped by the big bash in the quest for attention.

CA could do a lot worse that give every cricket club in Sydney and Melbourne free tickets to the next 2 tests.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
"Schedule" an One dayer for the 5th day of the next test. Bring a few boys into the squad, give Warner 11 green caps, Smithy 11 gold ones, and select 2 sides via schoolyard rules.

Big waste of time, but could be some fun cricket to watch.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I honestly don't know what, if anything, can be done. Every other cricketer of note will be playing in the Big Bash (for big cash).

Big loss of revenue at the gate for CA, VCA and NSWCA and big loss of revenue for Channel 9.

WIndies could probably go better if they picked Curtley Ambrose and Richie Richardson for the next 2 tests.

EDIT: A couple of golden oldie T20 matches would be more attractive than what we've seen. People would pay to see Curtley, Richie, Gilly, Warney et al. Steve Waugh and Curtly could even recreate their mid-pitch confrontation.;)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I think the results will get worse for WI as their confidence collapses in next two games.
What a shame a former major test team has deteriorated to this level.
I can't see a way back for them unfortunately.

I agree.

The rugby equivalent of what we're seeing would be a 3 test tour by Namibia, playing tests at Homebush, Suncorp and Docklands.;)

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well that were all a bit shite, weren't it?

Meantime NZ are effectively 308/1 at stumps on Day 3, at least there'll be some cricket for we to watch on a (hopefully) wet Sunday morning/ arvo :)

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I think the results will get worse for WI as their confidence collapses in next two games.
What a shame a former major test team has deteriorated to this level.
I can't see a way back for them unfortunately.

Interesting piece in the lunch break on the radio yesterday about the many issues in WI cricket. A meeting by the board to comment on a report that recommended the complete overhaul of the management structure was due to be held in the next day or so. Talk was the government may this time get involved if they refuse to adopt the recommendations. It was said that the management is a major impediment to success and things can be turned around.

I would be surprised if the comments were apolitical and it will be a long road back regardless but i remain hopeful for Windies cricket.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Another cool one in Dunners, spectators & fielders all rugged up & the SL captain with his hands in his pockets (not a good look IMO). NZ lead is 320 & there's rain forecast so they'll need to keep things moving if they're to set a target that SL will have a crack at (not enough time left to totally bat them out've the match).

I see Khawaja has been added to the Aus squad for Sydney so does that mean Burns get the flick & Khawaja opens?

Status
Not open for further replies.