• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AUS Vs WI 15/16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Absolute blessing in disguise, keep the same team and let SMarsh and Burns fight it out for their spot on Boxing Day.

Agree - particularly in light of the numerous chances given to SMarsh over the years and the lattitude given to Voges during the England tour, I think dropping Burns would be a travesty.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Obviously a while a way, but before the Big Bash starts, any feelings on the T20 World Cup? Australia's prospects? Squad certainties? Squad bolters? The need to play at least 1, or maybe 2 genuine spinners given it's in India?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I think it'll depend a lot on who stands up in the BBL, H35. Guys like Silk, Behrendorf, Carters etc would be in the frame I would have thought.

On to the real cricket, I wouldn't be rushing Ussie into the team if he isn't fit. It gives Burns and SMarsh an opportunity try and cement a spot (in SMarh's case to see if he can follow up a big ton with another one).

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Obviously a while a way, but before the Big Bash starts, any feelings on the T20 World Cup? Australia's prospects? Squad certainties? Squad bolters? The need to play at least 1, or maybe 2 genuine spinners given it's in India?

Squad certainties (barring injury):
Warner, Finch, Smith, Maxwell, Faulkner, Starc, Wade, Watson, Couter-Nile, M Marsh, Pattinson

Bolters:
Maddinson, Silk, Lynn, Head, Carters, Cutting, Khawaja, Behrendoff, Boyce, Agar, Stoinis, Cummins, S Marsh.

Then there's blokes like Henriques and Doherty but mind you if the selectors are willing to consider them they may as well look at Hopes, S Tait, and Hussey.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Australia won't have Starc, which is a pretty massive blow. Given our batsmen's record in India against any sort of spin I reckon we will struggle to get too far into the tournament.

We're in the same group as India, Pakistan and New Zealand. Tipping us to not make the semis as only the top 2 go through

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Adam Zampa is the real bolter. I'm a big fan of his.

Not prepared to write off Brad Hogg either.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Love to see Hoggy play (at any level in any game actually). Think it would be a long shot though for the T20 WC. If he does make it, can bet his wrongun will feature in many moments of mirth and misadventure by and at the expense of the batsmen.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
That's a good result for us & from what I saw of it we played some pretty decent cricket. I know SL are in rebuild mode but somehow I expected them to be more competitive than they were.

The return series v Aust in NZ could be interesting given the inability of certain Australian players to cope in English conditions with either a swinging or a seaming ball.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
NZ v SL T2 is in HamNZ whence I'm headed tomorrow evening: Saturday & Sunday are totally out of the question due to Christmas-related stuff like family BBQ's etc but should the match make it to Day 4* there's a chance I may be able to sneak off & catch a bit've it. If so I shall take the trusty iPad & do some live posts.............

* it's apparently a bit green:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/new-zealand-v-sri-lanka-2015-16/content/story/952835.html

Fingers crossed it's not all over inside three days.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Can't vouch for the accuracy of the photo - it's doing the rounds of the forums but if true :eek::).

Don't think you'll see much on day 4!

1EqqoLG.jpg

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^ oh well, this place is quite literally just around the corner from Seddon Park:

image.jpeg

Happy to take one for the team should Plan A come to naught...............

Bet y'alls didn't know that Cenosillicaphobia is the fear of an empty beer glass:

http://www.goodgeorge.co.nz/our-brews/

Not sure why it's classed as a phobia, tho, aren't they supposed to be irrational fears? Nowt irrational about Cenosillicaphobia IMHO :)

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
SL 264/7* at stumps, only 67 overs possible to some late rain. Similar forecast tomorrow so some Day 4 action looking pretty likely (& one can always pay a visit to Good George on the way home, can't one :))

* two of them run outs, haven't seen any footage but if any runout at Test level is pretty poor, two is inexcusable.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Can't vouch for the accuracy of the photo - it's doing the rounds of the forums but if true :eek::).

Don't think you'll see much on day 4!

1EqqoLG.jpg

Just been watching some highlights and, yep, that's a pretty accurate picture, I cannot recall a greener-looking cricket wicket & nor can the Comms. That said, less carnage than Macca obviously expected would occur did occur so it's very much a case of "they've got 'em, we've gotta get 'em" esp when we've probably gonna bat last .................

^^^To lose one wicket to a run out may be regarded as a misfortune, to lose two looks like carelessness.;)

Haven't found a clip of the the second one yet but the first was diabolical.

Status
Not open for further replies.