• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie 1 Day Squad???

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Apparently it will be announced tomorrow? They play a couple of 20/20s this weekend, but then there is a 5 match series v the Proteas from next week.

The squad that went to the Windies was:

Ricky Ponting
Michael Clarke
Nathan Bracken
Stuart Clark
Brad Haddin
James Hopes
David Hussey
Michael Hussey
Mitchell Johnson
Brett Lee
Shaun Marsh
Luke Ronchi
Andrew Symonds
Shane Watson
Cameron White
Matthew Hayden (withdrew)

There are a number of players unavailable and who I wouldn't pick. My squad would be:

Ricky Ponting
Michael Clarke
Nathan Bracken
Stuart Clark Ben Hilfenhaus
Brad Haddin
James Hopes
David Hussey
Michael Hussey
Mitchell Johnson
Brett Lee Shaun Tait
Shaun Marsh
Luke Ronchi don't need a back up keeper, but he'd be the man if Haddin needs to be rested.
Andrew Symonds Andrew MacDonald
Shane Watson Will probably only pick 14 players max for the series, so no replacement.
Cameron White Nathan Haurtiz
Matthew Hayden Phil Hughes

I'd say they will take Siddle and/or Bollinger before Hilfenhaus and Tait. The all rounder spots will be interesting as will the all rounder spots. As will be whether they stick with Haydos and Hussey (both). A good chance for some young blood.

Virgil

Larry Dwyer (12)
Question, why has Bracken been on the outer?
Whats his test record (too lazy to check at cricinfo)

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Not very good Virg - he had a crack in the series against India out here a few years back but wasn't too effective. Seen as a better ODI player due to better swing with the white ball.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Dont think our lot will be as good in the one day version. Gibbs is a good replacement for Smith but he was in rehab now for a few weeks and havent played any cricket. The likes of Kallis , McKenzie & Amla aint hard hitters you require in the one day setup. We also have lost with Pollock a unreplaceable one day player. The other Snorkel still struggle to find his feet on international level and we lost Hall, Kemp ect to India. Our test bowlers like Steyn may hit the odd knock but they still remain specialized in their test roles.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
another couple of options would be this David Warner from the Blues, who hasn't played any 1st class cricket but has an amazing eye.

And Moses Henriques. In fact, I think he is a very good chance of being picked.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Noddy I hope you dont mind but here is
Our One day squad:

Johan Botha (capt)
Neil McKenzie
Hashim Amla
Mark Boucher
AB de Villliers
JP Duminy
Herschelle Gibbs
Jacques Kallis
Albie Morkel
Morn? Morkel
Makhaya Ntini
Wayne Parnell
Dale Steyn
Lonwabo Tsotsobe
Vaughn van Jaarsveld

My pick XI:
Gibbs
van Jaarsveld
Amla/Prince
Kallis
AB Div
JP Duminy
Boucher
Albie Morkel
Johan Botha
Morne Morkel
Dale Steyn

Maybe switch van Jaarsveld & AB around in the start just to give the youngster a smooth start to international cricket.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Noddy said:
another couple of options would be this David Warner from the Blues, who hasn't played any 1st class cricket but has an amazing eye.

Don't particularly rate Henriques. I think he only gets pushed because of the state he plays for.

Warner is a future star, though, if he can continue the way he's been going. But he's too young.

Young Reardon (I think), from Qld, may be too if he can settle down. Way too young though.

Note sure on who they would consider.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Ash said:
Noddy said:

Don't particularly rate Henriques. I think he only gets pushed because of the state he plays for.

At this point I agree. But I think he has enormous potential as an all-rounder. In his 10 or so games he has opened the bowling and batted between 4 and 6, which is handy for Sheffield Shield.

He is 21. Give him some time and could do great things.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
If we don't start lowering the average age of our debutants we're going to continue this peak-and-trough scenario - that covers Test match cricket moreso.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
NTA said:
If we don't start lowering the average age of our debutants we're going to continue this peak-and-trough scenario - that covers Test match cricket moreso.

I disagree. We should pick the best player regardless of age, and this is a policy that has served us well. As long as you are under 32. If Hayden and Ponting and Warne can play to 37, why can't David Hussey, Bryce McGain or Marcus North?

I rate Hughes because he is the opener in form at present. The fact that he is 20 is just a bonus.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
teams named:

Twenty20 squad: Ricky Ponting (Tas, capt), Mike Hussey (WA, vice capt), David Hussey (Vic), Ben Hilfenhaus (Tas), James Hopes (Qld), Nathan Bracken (NSW), Brad Haddin (NSW), Shaun Marsh (WA), Shaun Tait (SA), David Warner (NSW), Ryan Harris (Qld), Cameron White (Vic), Nathan Hauritz (NSW).

One-day international squad: Ricky Ponting (Tas, capt), Michael Clarke (NSW, vice capt), Brad Haddin (NSW), James Hopes (Qld), Nathan Bracken (NSW), Shaun Marsh (WA), Mike Hussey (WA), David Hussey (Vic), Nathan Hauritz (NSW), Ben Hilfenhaus (Tas), Cameron White (Vic), Shaun Tait (SA), Peter Siddle (Vic).

For the 2020 I'd go:

1 David Warner
2 Shaun Marsh
3 Ricky Ponting
4 Mike Hussey
5 David Hussey
6 James Hopes
7 Cameron White
8 Brad Haddin
9 Nathan Bracken
10 Ben Hilfenhaus
11 Shaun Tait

Although I'd go close to having Harris their for either White or Hilfy. I think in this form, White is not an allrounder. Purely a lower order batsman.

For the One Dayers:

1 James Hopes
2 Shaun Marsh
3 Ricky Ponting
4 Michael Clarke
5 Mike Hussey
6 David Hussey
7 Brad Haddin
8 Nathan Hauritz
9 Nathan Bracken
10 Ben Hilfenhaus
11 Shaun Tait

With Johnson in for, probably, Hauritz when he's back.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Surprised Katich has been overlooked seeings he is in such good form. The selectors must just be continuing their policy of not including Hayden's opening partner in the ODI side.

But Haydos is not their either, which is a good sign that he is on the outer. If he doesn't score runs for the Bulls in the SS then you would think he will miss out on SA.

You would think Dave Hussey especially is playing for a place on the plane, and you could probably say the same about Hilfenhaus and Marsh.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Glad to see Warner picked for the T20. Could be very exciting. I wouldn't have picked Mike Hussey for the T20 though.

I think we should consider opening with Haddin in either of the games. He has a fantastic eye and reasonable technique, and could get us off to some flyers.

With no Hughes being picked for the one dayers, does this mean it will be harder for him to get into the test squad?

Status
Not open for further replies.