• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie 1 Day team

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ok tests? What tests? World Cup is early next year but more importantly we should use this team to trial our next batch of players. So my proposed team:

1. Shane Watson (vc)
2. David Warner
3. Usman Khawaja
4. Cameron White (c)
5. Callum Ferguson
6. Steve Smith
7. Brad Haddin
8. Dan Christian
9. Mitchell Johnson
10. Ryan Harris
11. Xavier Doherty

With Moses Henriques and Shaun Marsh in the squad.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
How about we le them play in Sydney next week. They couldn't do any worse than the current test team. Need to replace Harris now.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
A few changes in my team Reg.

1. Shane Watson
2. Shaun Marsh
3. Brad Haddin
4. Cameron White (c)
5. Mike Hussey
6. Callum Ferguson
7. Steve Smith
8. Dan Christian
9. Mitchell Johnson
10. Peter Siddle
11. Dirk Nannes

Not sold on Warner in 50 over cricket. Think it would be silly to ditch Hussey when he is in such good form, and was our standout ODI player this year. Agree with White as Captain. Harris is injured, not sure of Khawaja in the short form.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Clarke is a certainty so include him in the team as we have to work around it. Ponting will retire after winning his 4th WC in a row.

1. Watson
2. Haddin/Paine (wk)
3. Ponting (c)
4. White
5. Clarke
6. M Hussey/Ferguson
7. Smith
8. Johnson
9. Hauritz/Doherty
10. Harris
11. Nannes

12. Christian

Haddin & Paine can alternate and pick whoever performs best; keep 'em on their toes. Ideally Clarke is gone and we get both Hussey and Ferguson. Doherty's a very good List A bowler, hard to get runs off him and that's how he gets his wickets.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Clarke is a certainty so include him in the team as we have to work around it. Ponting will retire after winning his 4th WC in a row.

1. Watson
2. Haddin/Paine (wk)
3. Ponting (c)
4. White
5. Clarke
6. M Hussey/Ferguson
7. Smith
8. Johnson
9. Hauritz/Doherty
10. Harris
11. Nannes

12. Christian

Haddin & Paine can alternate and pick whoever performs best; keep 'em on their toes. Ideally Clarke is gone and we get both Hussey and Ferguson. Doherty's a very good List A bowler, hard to get runs off him and that's how he gets his wickets.

I will be very surprised if we win another World Cup. Confidence is hardly high with many of these players.
Harris has a stress fracture of the ankle - it seems a little fanciful to think he will be fit in 2 months after time off, then trying to regain condition.
Johnson's inability to put together more than 1 innings of decent bowling is a concern.
If Ponting gets the arse as Test captain, will there be any point keeping him in the one day side?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
No point at all.
If they give him the arse, they should do it properly & sack him from everything.
The big issue for me is I have no confidence in any possible replacements at this stage.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think they will wait until after the World Cup before they clean out the side. The fact that Clarke is the new test captain means that he will captain the One Day team for the domestic season with Ponting saying he is likely to miss most of the games.
I think Haddin would be the best option as Test captain with White doing the job in the One Day team.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Here is the World Cup squad:

Ricky Ponting (c), Michael Clarke (vc), Doug Bollinger, Brad Haddin, John Hastings, Nathan Hauritz, David Hussey, Mike Hussey, Mitchell Johnson, Brett Lee, Tim Paine, Steve Smith, Shaun Tait, Shane Watson, Cameron White.

The big call is having John Hastings ahead of Hopes, Marsh and Ferguson. I think the selectors have decided that Paine is the best top order batsman in Domestic cricket, and he seems to be the batting cover. Which isn't the worst decision, but I would prefer to see Marsh or Ferguson there.

Saying that I think we have worked out our best side (the team that beat England the other night with Hauritz instead of Doherty), so the contentious selections are essentially back-up players who shouldn't play much part in the tournament.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Payne should get a few shots in the remaining 6 ODIs to trial for the top keeping spot. Haddin's performance the other night was sub par.

Status
Not open for further replies.