• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie 7s - a new journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
HSBC World Sevens Series

HSBC World Sevens Series schedule:

(2010)
December 3/4 - Dubai
December 10/11 - George, South Africa

(2011)
February 4/5 - Wellington, New Zealand
February 12/13 - Las Vegas, USA
March 26/28 - Hong Kong
April 2/3 - Adelaide, Australia
May 21/22 - London, England
May 28/29 - Edinburgh, Scotland

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=10690214

New Zealand Sevens Coach Gordon Tietjens has named a new-look team for the first two World Series tournaments starting next weekend in Dubai and the following weekend in George.

Six debutants have been named in the side that will travel to Dubai on Sunday including 19-year-old Declan O'Donnell from Te Rapa in the Waikato.

Also making their NZ Sevens debuts are Manawatu's Scott Curry, Auckland's Bryce Heem, Waikato's Frank Halai, Taranaki's Jackson Ormond and North Harbour's Jack McPhee.

The team has a mix of experience with Sevens regulars Bay of Plenty's Toby Arnold, Waikato's Tim Mikkelson, Manawatu's Tomasi Cama and Lote Raikabula, and captain DJ Forbes from Counties Manukau all named in the side.

Taranaki's Scott Waldrom has been released by the Chiefs for the first two tournaments and makes a welcome return to the side having last played for the New Zealand Sevens team in 2007.

Tietjens said it was exciting to see some fresh faces in the squad.

"We have some great young talent in this side as well as those players who have had the experience of playing in big tournaments; those players will certainly provide valuable assistance to the new guys during the competition.

"Our goal is to win the Series this season and we are aiming for wins at the front end of the season to get us off to a good start," he added.

Following the Dubai leg of the HSBC Sevens World Series, the team will travel on to South Africa for the second leg in George.

Not considered for selection due to injury were Bay of Plenty's Jason Hona (hamstring) and Solomon King (quad).

NZ SEVENS TEAM:

Toby Arnold (Bay of Plenty)
Tomasi Cama (Manawatu)
Scott Curry (Manawatu)
DJ Forbes, captain (Counties Manukau)
Frank Halai (Waikato)
Bryce Heem (Auckland)
Jack McPhee (North Harbour)
Tim Mikkelson (Waikato)
Declan O'Donnell (Waikato)
Jackson Ormond (Taranaki)
Lote Raikabula (Manawatu)
Scott Waldrom (Taranaki)

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
Aussies off to a flying start in Dubai defeating Scotland 41 -14. From IRB;

Australia made the biggest impression in the opening round of pool matches, scoring no less than seven tries against Scotland, with six different scorers contributing to a 41-14 victory in Pool C.
Pool C

The third-placed team in last year's World Series standings, Australia, got off to a flying start against Scotland, scoring seven tries in their 41-14 win. Big John Grant scored twice, whilst Andrew Skeen scored both of Scotland's two late tries. South Africa, whom Australia beat in the recent Commonwealth Games semi finals in Delhi, needed all their wits about them to grind out a 19-10 win over rugged Russia.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
Starmers: Sevens stars to watch in Dubai

Nick Phipps, Australia

Coach Michael O'Connor always does an admirable job of shielding the new players from any kind of glare or false expectation, but at the same time you hear that John Grant scored six tries in the final of the Noosa Sevens in Australia. Okay, it's only an invitational event but anyone who scores six has an eye for the try line. More important for the side would be the fact that Nick Phipps, who's been off on tour with Robbie Dean's Wallaby squad, has come back in. The Sydney Uni playmaker could be a very important person for them.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Firstly, I dont want to sound too twisted. But my question is why do half of the Aus 7's team come from Syd Uni and also who the hell is Bernard Foley? Yes I know he was the Uni Colts flyhalf in 2008 and 2009 and also a school rep, I just dont understand why if you are not aligned with them and are 24 then you better go look for a job.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Does Foley have a 7s contract?

If he does, it's a pretty damn good job. Travel the world playing rugby.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
lily

Maybe Bernard has a dream. Maybe he likes travel. The new Oz 7s captain is only 21 not 24, by the way.

He was in all the Sevens tournaments last year except a couple when he was injured.

You are probably thinking about Shaun Foley who played for Oz Schools. He's probably trying to make up for the time he lost in 3 years with the Roosters and wants to see the world. He plays for Randwick.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Day 1 Results Update
24 19:36 AUSTRALIA 19 - 14 SOUTH AFRICA Pool C
23 19:14 NEW ZEALAND 24 - 19 ARGENTINA Pool B
22 18:52 SAMOA 26 - 7 KENYA Pool A
21 18:30 FIJI 21 - 26 ENGLAND Pool D
20 17:38 SCOTLAND 26 - 10 RUSSIA Pool C
19 17:16 UNITED STATES 28 - 12 ZIMBABWE Pool B
18 16:54 WALES 47 - 5 ARABIAN GULF Pool A
17 16:32 PORTUGAL 26 - 14 FRANCE Pool D
16 15:30 SOUTH AFRICA 19 - 19 SCOTLAND Pool C
15 15:08 AUSTRALIA 28 - 19 RUSSIA Pool C
14 14:46 ARGENTINA 19 - 24 UNITED STATES Pool B
13 14:24 NEW ZEALAND 59 - 0 ZIMBABWE Pool B
12 14:02 KENYA 12 - 17 WALES Pool A
11 13:40 SAMOA 54 - 12 ARABIAN GULF Pool A
10 13:18 ENGLAND 12 - 14 PORTUGAL Pool D
9 12:56 FIJI 35 - 5 FRANCE Pool D
8 11:54 SOUTH AFRICA 19 - 10 RUSSIA Pool C
7 11:32 AUSTRALIA 41 - 14 SCOTLAND Pool C
6 11:10 ARGENTINA 14 - 24 ZIMBABWE Pool B
5 10:48 NEW ZEALAND 31 - 7 UNITED STATES Pool B
4 10:26 KENYA 31 - 19 ARABIAN GULF Pool A
3 10:04 SAMOA 21 - 21 WALES Pool A
2 09:42 ENGLAND 24 - 12 FRANCE Pool D
1 09:20 FIJI 31 - 7 PORTUGAL Pool D

Check out game 10. The Soap Dodgers beaten by two points by Portugal. I am sure that there are Gaggerlanders who would be happy with that result.

Pool A
Team Pld Pts
SAM 3 8
WAL 3 8
KEN 3 5
GLF 3 3

Pool B
Team Pld Pts
NZL 3 9
USA 3 7
ZIM 3 5
ARG 3 3

Pool C
Team Pld Pts
AUS 3 9
RSA 3 6
SCO 3 6
RUS 3 3

Pool D
Team Pld Pts
FIJ 3 7
ENG 3 7
POR 3 7
FRA 3 3

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I don't understand why Phipps is with the 7s squad and not the Rebels. Perhaps he doesn't factor into their plans in a big way?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Australian Team:
Hamish Angus, John Grant, Ratu Tevita Kuridrani, Johnathon Lance, Daniel Yakapo, Michael Hodge, Nick Phipps, Gregory Jeloudev, Ed Jenkins, Trent Dyer, Shaun Foley, Bernard Foley.

Just Played Russia in Game 15. Final Score 28 - 19 to us. Angus 2 tries 4 conv, Grant 1 Try, Kuridrani 1 try.

R

Rothschild

The other iteresting result is the Kenya - Wales game.
Kenya have shown considerable improvement over the past years and are becomming a bit of a force.

T

TOCC

Kenya have been one of the big players in 7's for the past few years, didnt Australia lose to them 2 years ago?

Australia 41 - 14 Scotland

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Today's draw (times are Dubai local times):
25 09:20 KENYA 0 - 0 ARGENTINA 1/4 final Bowl
26 09:42 PORTUGAL 0 - 0 RUSSIA 1/4 final Bowl
27 10:04 SCOTLAND 0 - 0 FRANCE 1/4 final Bowl
28 10:26 ZIMBABWE 0 - 0 ARABIAN GULF 1/4 final Bowl
29 10:48 SAMOA 0 - 0 UNITED STATES 1/4 final Cup
30 11:10 FIJI 0 - 0 SOUTH AFRICA 1/4 final Cup
31 11:32 AUSTRALIA 0 - 0 ENGLAND 1/4 final Cup
32 11:54 NEW ZEALAND 0 - 0 WALES 1/4 final Cup
33 12:16 Loser Game 25 0 - 0 Loser Game 26 SF Shield
34 12:38 Loser Game 27 0 - 0 Loser Game 28 SF Shield
35 13:00 Winner Game 25 0 - 0 Winner Game 26 SF Bowl
36 13:22 Winner Game 27 0 - 0 Winner Game 28 SF Bowl
37 13:44 Loser Game 29 0 - 0 Loser Game 30 SF Plate
38 14:06 Loser Game 31 0 - 0 Loser Game 32 SF Plate
39 18:35 Winner Game 29 0 - 0 Winner Game 30 SF Cup
40 18:57 Winner Game 31 0 - 0 Winner Game 32 SF Cup
41 19:20 Winner Game 33 0 - 0 Winner Game 34 Final Shield
42 19:50 Winner Game 35 0 - 0 Winner Game 36 Final Bowl
43 20:20 Winner Game 37 0 - 0 Winner Game 38 Final Plate
44 20:50 Winner Game 39 0 - 0 Winner Game 40 Final Cup

On form, we are up against The Darkness in game 40 Semi Final. Tough ask.
And then we should be playing a PI team (Fiji or Samoa) in the Final, before we lift the Cup for Max points in Round 1.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
I don't understand why Phipps is with the 7s squad and not the Rebels. Perhaps he doesn't factor into their plans in a big way?

He has a sevens contract with the ARU as well as a contract with the Rebels. I think the ARU may have demanded his inclusion in the sevens because so much experience was lost after Delhi with players moving to Super 15 teams.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
My previous post was about the selectors picking a whole bunch of younger guys as opposed to players between the ages of 24 to 27. I agree that the game is one of speed, but my concern is that by picking these younger guys they will not match the physicality of the Samoans and Fijians. I have no doubt that these guys selected are good but surely there is someone more capable than a guy who has been plucked from Uni second grade. And yes Lee I am aware that Phipps and Foley were the halves for Uni colts in 1st Colts in 08 and 09.

#1?

Larry Dwyer (12)
But wasn't phil kearns plucked from Randwick 2nd grade, having only made newington 2nds at school?

While he was not an accomplished 7's player, raising his selection from "obscurity" into the Wobs XV is not necessarily a divagation off the topic of this thread.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Kearns played plenty of 1st grade, and even played NSW A. Its just that the Waratah hooker (Eddie Jones) was the Randwick hooker.

Still, his selection was outta no where.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
N4cer - Thanks for posting that clip.

I agree that the game is one of speed, but my concern is that by picking these younger guys they will not match the physicality of the Samoans and Fijians.

You are right. On post # 20 on this thread I wrote:

You can't just have one forward because possessions are even more precious than in the 80 minute game since there are so few of them. You can lose some of the limited possessions in set pieces and ruck/tackles without real back row forwards, or forgo turnovers from opponents' possessions. Some bigger backs can fill in there but they are just faking it because it's not a big part of their normal trade practices.

I also added that we needed 4 forwards of the Vanderglass/Mackay type. 2 of those should be on the park at any time and with McCutcheon now out of the team, that 7s grunt will be missed.

Folks may remember our loss in the pool game to England because they pushed us off our ball and hogged our share of possession. It was a precursor to the recent test match, unfortunately.

But lets see how we go against the Poms today.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Poms were beaten (just) by Portugal and then rebounded to beat the Wizards from Fiji in their last game.

Given that they beat the Wizards, I guess they may have been caught napping by the Portugoosers. The loss probably can be put down to one of those things rather than an indication of a more general malaise in the team.

I couldn't find this on Foxtel. Did anyone see the game?

Could be a tough day at the Office for our Men in Gold - vs Soap Dodgers, The Darkness and the Wizards of Fiji, or the Samoan Assi'ssains.

Status
Not open for further replies.