• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie 7s - a new journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
England win qtr final 24-21

1st half
0:40 Oliver Lindsay-Hague ENG Try
1:15 Ben Gollings ENG ConMiss
2:16 Ben Gollings ENG Try
3:00 Ben Gollings ENG Conversion
4:18 John Grant AUS Try
4:46 Hamish Angus AUS Conversion

2nd half

1:47 John Grant AUS Try
2:23 Hamish Angus AUS Conversion
4:18 Ben Gollings ENG Try
4:43 Ben Gollings ENG Conversion
4:48 Michael Hodge AUS Substitution
4:51 Gregory Jeloudev AUS Substitution
5:03 Greg Barden ENG Substitution
6:20 Bernard Foley AUS Try
6:56 Hamish Angus AUS Conversion
7:15 Simon Hunt ENG Substitution
7:56 Dan Caprice ENG Try
8:38 Ben Gollings ENG ConMiss

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Dubai Disaster

Results so far
Today's draw (times are Dubai local times):
25 09:20 KENYA 0 - 43 ARGENTINA 1/4 final Bowl
26 09:42 PORTUGAL 7 - 10 RUSSIA 1/4 final Bowl
27 10:04 SCOTLAND 28- 22 FRANCE 1/4 final Bowl
28 10:26 ZIMBABWE 24 - 14 ARABIAN GULF 1/4 final Bowl
29 10:48 SAMOA 38 - 5 UNITED STATES 1/4 final Cup
30 11:10 FIJI 21 - 19 SOUTH AFRICA 1/4 final Cup
31 11:32 AUSTRALIA 21- 24 ENGLAND 1/4 final Cup
32 11:54 NEW ZEALAND 35 - 7 WALES 1/4 final Cup
33 12:16 KENYA 19 - 12 PORTUGAL SF Shield
34 12:38 FRANCE 26 - 19 ARABIAN GULF SF Shield
35 13:00 ARGENTINA 31 - 7 RUSSIA SF Bowl
36 13:22 SCOTLAND 17 - 28 ZIMBABWE SF Bowl
37 13:44 USA 10 - 24 SOUTH AFRICA SF Plate
38 14:06 AUSTRALIA 26 - 12 WALES SF Plate
39 18:35 SAMOA 0 - 0 FIJI SF Cup
40 18:57 ENGLAND 0 - 0 NEW ZEALAND SF Cup
41 19:20 KENYA 0 - 0 FRANCE Final Shield
42 19:50 ARGENTINA 0 - 0 ZIMBABWE Final Bowl
43 20:20 SOUTH AFRICA 0 - 0 AUSTRALIA Final Plate
44 20:50 FIJI 0 - 0 NEW ZEALAND Final Cup

On form, we are up against The Darkness in game 40 Semi Final. Tough ask.
And then we should be playing a PI team (Fiji or Samoa) in the Final, before we lift the Cup for Max points in Round 1.

We were 7 - 12 behind at 1/2 time vs Soap Dodgers. Final Score 21 -24- PAARK - PAARKING HELLL - Piri WEEPOO.
US 21= Angus (3C), Dyer, B. Foley (1T), S. Foley, Kuridrani, Phipps, Grant (2T)
UK 24= Damo, Gollings (2T,2C), Norton, Rodwell, Caprice (1T), Cracknell, Lindsay-Hague (1T)
Soap Dodgers snuck winning try in @ 7:56 minutes.
Brief NZ Herald Match report
England earned a spot in the last four after a thrilling 24-21 win over Australia, who scored what had appeared to be the matchwinning try through Bernard Foley with a minute remaining, only for England to win the kickoff and have Dan Caprice run 60m to score.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10692142
Shit shit poo bum wee. Arking Soap Dodgers. Happy to lose to anyone but them!!!

We now beat WALES for a tilt at the SAFFERS in the Plate Final.

Australia ahead 12-7 @ 1/2 time vs the Jones-Davies's.
AUS 26= Angus (3C), Hodge (2T), B. Foley, Yakapo, Kuridrani, Phipps, Grant (2T)
Wales 12= Rees, Jones (2T), Evans (2C), Davies, Isaacs, Darcy, Groves.

Aus vs SAffers in Plate final.

Big gap until nest tranche of games.
May be asleep.

On paper The Darkness are looking good for max points.
My tips in Orange.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Pretty sure it is 7 hours time difference between Dubai and NSW Daylight savings.

Next games are therefore in AEDT (I ain't staying up for these.)

39 01:35 SAMOA 0 - 0 FIJI SF Cup
40 01:57 ENGLAND 0 - 0 NEW ZEALAND SF Cup
41 02:20 KENYA 0 - 0 FRANCE Final Shield
42 02:50 ARGENTINA 0 - 0 ZIMBABWE Final Bowl
43 03:20 SOUTH AFRICA 0 - 0 AUSTRALIA Final Plate
44 03:50 FIJI 0 - 0 NEW ZEALAND Final Cup

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Pretty sure it is 7 hours time difference between Dubai and NSW Daylight savings.

...SNIP...

39 01:35 SAMOA 24 - 21 FIJI SF Cup
40 01:57 ENGLAND 19 - 14 NEW ZEALAND SF Cup
41 02:20 KENYA 26 - 0 FRANCE Final Shield
42 02:50 ARGENTINA 21 - 0 ZIMBABWE Final Bowl
43 03:20 SOUTH AFRICA 19 - 12 AUSTRALIA Final Plate
44 03:50 SAMOA 21 - 29 ENGLAND Final Cup

Australia ahead 12-7 @ 1/2 time vs Cecil Afrika
AUS 12= Angus (1T,1C), Hodge , B. Foley, Yakapo (1T), Kuridrani, Lance, Grant
Saffers 19= Cecil Afrika (3T,2C)

CHAMPIONSHIP POINTS
1 ENGLAND 24
2 SAMOA 20
3= FIJI 16
NEW ZEALAND 16
5 SOUTH AFRICA 12
6 AUSTRALIA 8
7= WALES 6
UNITED STATES 6
9 ARGENTINA 4

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
And here's another one to add to the what were they thinking file. Check out the poms jumper:
sevens--1--420x0.jpg

I reckon this is so bad that it wouldn't even make Rugby Future's collection.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...samoa-to-win-dubai-sevens-20101205-18l0k.html
England produced two late tries to trump Samoa 29-21 and win the Dubai Sevens on Saturday, the first tournament of the eight-leg IRB Sevens World Series.

The English team's performance in the final mirrored a day of action in which they had twice come up with last-gasp scores to defeat New Zealand and Australia in thrilling style, in the semi and quarter-finals respectively.

"It's been the story of the weekend," England captain Ben Gollings said of his team's rearguard action.

"We bounced back well and I couldn't be more proud of the boys."

England knocked Australia out of the quarter-finals 24-21 then upset defending champions New Zealand 19-14 in the semis.

Samoa made the final by seeing off Fiji (24-21) in the semi-finals and the United States (38-5) in the quarters.

In the tournament's lower-level play-offs, South Africa beat Australia 19-12 in the plate final, Argentina blanked Zimbabwe 21-0 in the bowl, and Kenya also whitewashed France, 26-0, in the shield.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Ollie Lindsay-hague = Legend

Played against him twice a couple of years ago and he absolutely tore up for his school, same side as Jonathan Joseph of london irish and Rhys Ruddock Ireland Cap.

Did Jono Lance get much game time?

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
Ollie Lindsay-hague = Legend

Played against him twice a couple of years ago and he absolutely tore up for his school, same side as Jonathan Joseph of london irish and Rhys Ruddock Ireland Cap.

Did Jono Lance get much game time?

I was very impressed with Ollie who was one of the players of the tournament. Great step, good speed and he made some good players look ordinary.

Saw Johno Lance a bit on the Fox highlights and he went ok but I think fitness let him down a bit. He dropped off a couple of times in backing up and was seen gasping for air a few times.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Have just watched the tournament on FoxSports. Was just lucky as I had overlooked it to put it on the planner.

The Oz team looked OK. If they improve like last year's team did they should do well again in 2011. They got pushed off the ball a bit as England did to us in the Comm Games, and missed a few tackles but they were decent.

The commentators were waxing lyrical about big boofhead John Grant and saying that he should have a Super contract. Old Quinny was saying that Robbie Deans should be looking at him too. Mind you: they go over the top a bit.

Agree about 20 y.o. Pom OLH; good compact, fast player. Looks like a scrummie but they say that he can also play wing and fullback in the 15 man game. He's in the Quins' academy and may not be far off getting a bench spot for them unless he wants to stay with 7s.

That was a good tournament win by the Poms after losing to Portugal in the Pool game and just pipping Oz on the bell. Then they beat the Blacks in the semis and got the chockies just before the end in the final against Samoa.

PS At least Oz got best and fairest team of the tournament.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
How did that England team lose to Portugal? The team I saw in the final looked excellent. Pace and power everywhere

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
How did that England team lose to Portugal? The team I saw in the final looked excellent. Pace and power everywhere

Big heads. The coach made them wear the "marmalade" coloured jerseys after that because they did not deserve to wear the white of England. Looks like it worked! But when are they going to wear white again?

canowindra

Frank Nicholson (4)
Hi, I'm new here, and I have a quick question; I did not get to watch Aus V SA on Sunday , as we had a blackout, but did John Grant play in that game? He went into it as the leading try scorer and then was well and truly trumped by Afrika is the final tally. Also, what do you make of his defence?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Welcome aboard canowindra.

I saw Grant miss a few but he wasn't the Lone Ranger in the Oz team. Too often they were in the wrong defensive setup and sometimes tacklers had to move too far to get a shoulder on, and by that time the ball was gone to an opponent who ran through where he came from.

Those things should improve over a few tournaments. We've had big changes in our team - but I guess most teams have changed a lot.

It's those teams who get defensive patterns right, especially on turnover ball, that come out well. The other thing is the ability to retain the ball in the tackle and the next player in consolidating the retention. Attacking with ball in hand is more natural to the type of players competing in Sevens, but the unglamorous things are just as important to results.

But I digress - Afrika and the other small SAffer player looked good. Afrika scored a few tries to overtake Grant in the tournament. He's a terrific 7s finisher.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
What number was Grant wearing? I saw number 4 for Aus miss a couple of shockers.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Lee OLH is primarily a full back, can play wing and very rarely plays 9. He is a quality counter attacker in 15's so he should stick at full back.

He would be quite a distance from the Quins bench though, Ollie Smith seems to occupy the bench spot even though he has played average at best this season,

Sam Smith, England u20 left wing last year, big strong powerful and quick. Very suited to the pro game right now

Would of liked to have seen Jono Lance play in the sevens as i have never had the opportunity to see him play

Ross Chisholm Fullback and outside centre, rapid, strong and a great kicker. Scored a fantastic try a week or so ago for the first team.

These players are all ahead of OLH atm including the regular starters, Monye, Williams, Brown, Camacho, Lowe

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
What number was Grant wearing? I saw number 4 for Aus miss a couple of shockers.

Shaun Foley wore number 4. He missed two one-on-one tackles in the quarter against England. Beaten by pace both times when Ollie and Dan Caprice got on his outside. I don't think Foley has got the pace for sevens.

Hamish Angus * 1
Trent Dyer * 2
Bernard Foley 3
Shaun Foley 4
John Grant * 5
Michael Hodge * 6
Nick Phipps 7
Gregory Jeloudev * 8
Ed Jenkins 9
Ratu Tevita Kuridrani * 10
Jonathon Lance * 11
Daniel Yakapo 12

R

Rothschild

Have I missed something - why isn't Kimami Sitauti in the squad?
is it because he is now in the Reds full time squad?

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Rothschild - I guess its because he is training full time with the reds, same with shipperley and Morahan. That is also why stannard is not playing.

How did Gill, Kimami and Dom Shipperley cope last year in the sevens?

Status
Not open for further replies.