• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I'm a big fan of the flexible contract. Whatever we can use to keep our best talent in the game without losing them North has to be entertained. It can be individually tailored for any player. If Cooper wants to box, give it to him. If Israel wants to get on his bike and knock doors for an off season, let him.

As for the character assassination of Foley, saying he held a gun to the ARUs head by signing in Japan first is ludicrous. The ARU could have left him high and dry. The risk was his to take and who dares wins. The ARU have fluffed and phaffed over this for long enough I'm glad for someone to take the initiative and lead them by the nose.

It's just an acceptance of the reality. Players are worth what the market will pay, if we can't match the money and we want to keep someone then this is the way to go. Doesn't mean we all have to like it, thre's lots of things which go on that some of us don't really like, it's just the way it is.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
But it wasn't a secret he was paying a visit. Not sure how that confirms a 'done deal'. May well be - I'm just not sure that is irrefutable proof.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Pretty sure Sarries has fielded sides with more South Africans in them than any other nationality. It's a bit of a joke at this point.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Are any European players playing in Europe next year?
Ulster, Leinster and Munster are reducing their NIQs down to four in each squad next season. The numbers appear to be increasing in England, however. Part of the problem in England is the clubs are in a much stronger position to play hard ball with the RFU over English player percentages which were agreed at 70% with the last deal but will, I suspect, be reduced as part of the new agreement. France is a complete basket case.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Any idea what a player like Betham would be on with this deal?

Wouldn't have thought he ever get ARU money so probably getting something like $200k here?

How far behind are we for competing with his services?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Any idea what a player like Betham would be on with this deal?

Wouldn't have thought he ever get ARU money so probably getting something like $200k here?

How far behind are we for competing with his services?

When did he last sign a contract with the Tahs? I don't think it was this year for a single season.

I'd have thought he wouldn't be a huge amount above the Super Rugby minimum wage of $67,500 for this year.

I'd be surprised if he was getting much over $100k.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Ulster, Leinster and Munster are reducing their NIQs down to four in each squad next season. The numbers appear to be increasing in England, however...........

Voluntarily or by order of IRFU? And is there still the restriction of one NIQ player per position across the provinces, or has that been done away with? Lastly, is Connaught still allowed extra NIQ's & if so for how much longer?

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The depth of the Australian Squads is starting to look a bit thin, especially in key positions of 9, 10 and 3. Provinces may well be able to field a strong first pick but after that the squad will be light on experience and vulnerable to the inevitable injuries.

My long term fears of Test rugby becoming like soccer friendlies is coming closer. For years we have whinged about under strength northern sides coming to the SH. What is becoming apparent in France anyway, but I expect also to England as their clubs dictate more and more, is even in their own backyard they are become less than competitive. The premier game in France is no longer Test Rugby. The Clubs rule. The IRB can do two parts of sweet FA about it too.

flat_eric

Alfred Walker (16)
The floodgates have opened so it is time to act. The A-League does just fine without being in a position to pay the country's best players. What is important is that the best players are representing your country. A weakened Wallabies side will do the game no favours. My point of view is that it's more damaging than a weakened club competition.