• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He needs to get more frequent game time than he ever had a chance of getting at the Waratahs (and would probably get next year).

Hopefully he gets a gig at another Aussie Super Rugby team but if not, hopefully he returns a better player in a couple of years time.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
.... I think that they don't see Mike Ala'alatoa progressing quickly enough and are moving him on in favour of young guys coming through ....
I wish I had your faith that they actually look that far forward. I suspect they'd like to be able to plan for three to four years down the track but professional sport is cut-throat and demands results now, not later.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
No he left the Tahs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have heard mixed reports about the circumstances of him leaving. Are you aware if he was at the end of his contract or did he seek release to go play ITM and take his chances on a contract later?

Shame either-way, and I hope it does help him step up and earn a Super Rugby gig.

kaze33

Stan Wickham (3)
Hello from France and sorry for my english ;)

Have you heard the news about talks between Sam Carter and UBB ?

Last week end, the local newspaper Sud Ouest wrote :

" Launched on building the next seasons, the president of UBB also continue to activate for the current . Having kept the door open in the spring for additional recruitment, he approached Australian Sam Carter. The powerful number 5 Brumbies ( 25, 62 Super Rugby matches , 12 selections) , injured his knee in May , was not retained in the 31 Wallabies for the World Cup but recalled for the friendly in the United test United yesterday. "I expect news ", said yesterday the president ."

http://www.sudouest.fr/2015/09/07/connor-cinq-ans-de-plus-2116492-8.php

It's very strange because he signed a prolongation with Brumbies and ARU in March !!

Thanks

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Welcome, kaze, your English is fine, certainly better than my French. We'd be delighted to hear rugby news from France, especially when it concerns Australians.

You're from Bordeaux?

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Well I am extremely biased but I think Mike has been fantastic in the ITM so far, ok Turbos got a hammering the other night but he has shown strength and skill in both the loose and in scrummaging.
I hope we have him for all of next year, but after that I think he will be lost to Australian rugby.

I've watched the vast majority of the itm cup this year and think that besides the two Waikato props mike has been been the next best in the competition

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yep Carter is just a joker.

SAM Carter is to join a growing number of Australian players playing in France and be on call for the Wallabies during the World Cup — but reserve hooker James Hanson isn’t one of them.
Rest easy Brumbies fans. Carter hasn’t gone for good: he has signed a six-week “joker” deal with a Top 14 club, and a French website floated Bordeaux earlier in the week.
Coming off a long break due to a knee injury, Carter was excellent in his return for the Wallabies against the USA last week. So don’t be surprised to see the Brumby big man the first called up to the Wallabies in event of an injury anywhere in the squad.
You are not allowed to run a shadow squad at a World Cup, so the French placement is a timely workaround by Michael Cheika.
Given the perils of “twohookergate” and a 24-hour flight to England, you’d assume Hanson would also be a French “joker” option but we’re told he’s flying back to Sydney to play NRC for the Stars. Watch that space.
Nic White is in Montpellier and James Horwill is at the Harlequins in London. Taqele Naiyaravoro will soon join Glasgow.

kaze33

Stan Wickham (3)
Welcome, kaze, your English is fine, certainly better than my French. We'd be delighted to hear rugby news from France, especially when it concerns Australians.

You're from Bordeaux?

Yes I live in Bordeaux and I am a UBB fan :)

Don't worry when I see something about Aussies in Top 14 , I will sent the news; especially for Ashley-Cooper and Kepu ;)

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
You'll have to keep us up-to-date on the wine front, kaze. We've got a wine thread where you can contribute, it's here: http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/wine-thread.3248/page-17 You'll find all the basic food groups covered in that section, pies, beers (craft and non-craft), spirits and a cooking meat outdoors thread (BBQs for you) as well as wine. Be nice to get a French take on these very important matters.

kiwi

Frank Nicholson (4)
TOP 14 - Since the beginning of the championship, the Australian flyhalf Zack Holmes is good for La Rochelle. The native of Perth, he begins to find what he was looking for in France, namely the playing time.
It's not Sherlock, but Zack. Zack Holmes. Since the beginning of the season, the Australian opener La Rochelle is just as effective as the hero of the investigation to solve problems. His, what are the penalties, occupancy kicking or orientation of the game. After the debacle Clermont at the 1st day (6-44), Australian 25 years was invaluable at a match on Racing, bringing his team, while outnumbered, to shorts Parisians at play penalties, before attempting, unsuccessfully, a drop in the final moments of the encounter. He came to realize flawless (14 points / 14).
Last Saturday against Brive, we still found him at the helm with a converted try, decisive second half, and regularity in its penalties. The public, he sported the head of the connoisseur who appreciates the chin nods and raised eyebrows. The La Rochelle Stadium, following the departure of South African Peter Grant, has not lost out by hosting this player came from the Western Force (Australia Super XV), but also went through the VII.
In search of playing time
On the Island-continent, the son of a rugby player, born in Perth, was a jack-of-all in adolescence. From football through athletics where it falls well on the 400. It is finally towards the Western Force rugby and he heads to 15 years for his training. Passed by the Brumbies in Canberra before returning to the Western Force in 2013 (22 games played last two seasons), Zack Holmes discovers along the French language, the Top 14 championship.
La Rochelle is a sporting choice to hear it. "I do not especially trying to come to Europe but the playing time," he said. "I was frustrated not being able to play more with the Western Force . because there are also a couple of games per season in Europe, the season is longer;. there are more opportunities, games in Super XV Before coming, I had been able to talking with Australian players who played in France. "
Zack Holmes (La Rochelle) against Brive - September 5, 2015 - Icon Sport
In La Rochelle, Holmes found two other Australians, Alofa Alofa and Malietoa Hingano. "Their presence, it makes things easier. It is good to be able to speak English ... Sometimes I forget that some French players comprise no more it's English and I start talking to them ... I think they are wondering what is he trying to tell me? "(smile).
The marine head coach Patrice Collazo, he feels "a very active player despite the language barrier. We are sure it will bring us even more when he goes to master the language, gaming systems. He is gifted technically and it has a good vision of the game. " But he notes with a smile, a caveat: "It has a very particular accent and he sometimes struggle to be understood that's why I talk slowly." Replied, in a relaxed, Holmes.
The public reaction, a universal language
In La Rochelle, integration went well. "I would not say that I feel comfortable," he says, "but it's easier each week. It is sometimes complicated with referees . At Racing, I did not understand the referee. He told me not to kick. " And even if he did not understand French, he grasped the meaning of the reaction of La Rochelle fans after the final whistle against Clermont. "Yes, it is universal, everyone can understand. Here This is an audience of enthusiasts. In Australia, people are sitting and watching. They do not make much noise. " In La Rochelle, the noise already comes from its success at the foot ...