• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

Tahtrajic

Ted Fahey (11)
medical cover for Samoa international Alofa Alofa, the French Top 14 club said on Monday.

I wish him luck it will be great experience.

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
Do you think that maybe once the French could make an effort at developing their own players? They d be lucky to have 100 top flight players running around in the top 14

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Top14 is fairly independent of the FFR, add on the fact that the European players, Pacific Islanders and Saffas have reciprocal work agreements, there's little incentive to have more than the necessary amount of Frenchies, at least from the perspective of the clubs that can afford it. Plus the ProD2 is a decent vehicle for underdeveloped young frogs before they're fully ready for the rigours of the Top14 and big paychecks.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Do you think that maybe once the French could make an effort at developing their own players? They d be lucky to have 100 top flight players running around in the top 14

Think of the EPL. Top 14 don't really give a shit about the French national team and why should they? They're their own entertainment product, they want the best players for more revenue.

Toulon won 3 Euro titles with something like 3 French players in the XV each time. Does the city of Toulon care? Not at all going by how popular they are..

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The French Top 14 sharply highlights the pitfalls of private ownership, let's hope it never catches on in the SH. As a contrast look how successful Ireland and Munster/Leinster have been since the advent of pro rugby with a similar pyramid structure to the SH.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The French Top 14 sharply highlights the pitfalls of private ownership, let's hope it never catches on in the SH. As a contrast look how successful Ireland and Munster/Leinster have been since the advent of pro rugby with a similar pyramid structure to the SH.

Maybe. But France still has a pretty competitive national team.

If the choice was between having a viable local competition (under private ownership) and an unviable one, which would you choose?

T

TOCC

Everyone rags on the Top 14 for signing players from all over the globe, but i think they also deserve a bit of praise.

In the cases of Georgia, Romania, Fiji, Tonga and Samoa, the Top14 offers a professional rugby career that other countries like Australia or New Zealand won't offer. If many of the European clubs had the same approach as the ARU/NZRU then the Tier 2 teams would be significantly less competitive at the RWC.

Many of the Tier 2 nations are playing to a higher standard because of the increasing number of professional players in the team, Fiji only has 2 players who are 'amateurs' with the rest playing professional rugby in Europe or Super Rugby. In previous RWC's the number of amateurs would have been closer to 10 or 15.

Yes the Top 14 is the villain of world rugby because they sign all the best players, but good on them. If they are offering a product and have the financial backing to do it, then so be it, Its up to everyone else to catch up.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I think a lot of the angst against the Top 14 sides comes from players have "injuries" or "retiring" from test rugby at test and RWC time.

Now those players have their own choices to make yes, but when you come from relatively impoverished areas and playing in the Top 14 allows you to access wages and means to support family and community that you would otherwise be unable to, it is a very big ask to expect them to risk that when the test coach comes calling.

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
James Pritchard called out of retirement back into the Canada side for the Italy game tonight. Kid from Parkes done good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
Everyone rags on the Top 14 for signing players from all over the globe, but i think they also deserve a bit of praise.

In the cases of Georgia, Romania, Fiji, Tonga and Samoa, the Top14 offers a professional rugby career that other countries like Australia or New Zealand won't offer. If many of the European clubs had the same approach as the ARU/NZRU then the Tier 2 teams would be significantly less competitive at the RWC.

Many of the Tier 2 nations are playing to a higher standard because of the increasing number of professional players in the team, Fiji only has 2 players who are 'amateurs' with the rest playing professional rugby in Europe or Super Rugby. In previous RWC's the number of amateurs would have been closer to 10 or 15.

Yes the Top 14 is the villain of world rugby because they sign all the best players, but good on them. If they are offering a product and have the financial backing to do it, then so be it, Its up to everyone else to catch up.

I too believe it's helped the competitiveness of the 'minnows' in this World Cup. Alot of guys from tier 2/3 nations have the chance to be part of a professional rugby setup, which can only be a good thing for world rugby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
The big concern for the Top 14 is if the French start bringing foreign nationals into the French team before they can represent the minnows. World Rugby has been talking over changing the residency rule to 5 years. Personally, I think they'd be better served making a rule that only one or two new players may be selected per year under residency grounds.

T

TOCC

The big concern for the Top 14 is if the French start bringing foreign nationals into the French team before they can represent the minnows. World Rugby has been talking over changing the residency rule to 5 years. Personally, I think they'd be better served making a rule that only one or two new players may be selected per year under residency grounds.

It's rumoured a change to these rules will be occurring after the RWC..
A 5 year residency qualification period should be enough to stop this intentionally occurring.