• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
The mass exodus begins in QLD. Wonder who they are targeting? Better not be English, especially after pieman's comments.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
And the coaches as well
Tim Lane -
Phil Blake -
Gee I reckon there'd be a couple of super clubs that could benefit in having them on board.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
And I think that it will qwerty. Once it is up and running...

I think you are dreaming, to quote the Castle. I seriously doubt the future of the NRC, as such as I would love for it to be a success. The ARU is flat stony broke and when they go so will the NRC. I cannot see whoever comes in to take over continuing to fund a loss maker.

I wonder what clauses are being written into the SANZAR agreement to cover this as well, because IMO the Rebels and Force could well face insolvency the year the ARU does, and a bailout is unlikely in my view to fund permanent loss makers like those two Franchises.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The whole point imo of the NRC is not the development of players. It's the retention of players.

Currently for 15 man rugby, there are only 150 professional contracts available with another 25 baseline (EPS) contracts. That's no where near enough for all the rugby talent in Australia, the NRL and AFL would be over 500. This is the reason we lose players overseas before they play Super Rugby because there's no opportunity for them to earn money if they're not in the best 150-175 players in the country but they can overseas. The NRC was/is suppose to offer these type of players a decent wage to entice them to stay.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
The whole point imo of the NRC is not the development of players. It's the retention of players.

Currently for 15 man rugby, there are only 150 professional contracts available with another 25 baseline (EPS) contracts. That's no where near enough for all the rugby talent in Australia, the NRL and AFL would be over 500. This is the reason we lose players overseas before they play Super Rugby because there's no opportunity for them to earn money if they're not in the best 150-175 players in the country but they can overseas. The NRC was/is suppose to offer these type of players a decent wage to entice them to stay.

Sounds a fair explanation, could you also advise what / how and by who these NRC players are being paid, I'm not sure it's been touched on.

Gnostic, I'm with @suckerford and I follow and understand your points. But it's going to require hard work, and support from interested / invested bodies without burying heads in the sand.

Different beasts but if Shute clubs are now turning profits, the NRC clubs could start turning profits, then we need the NRC to start turning a profit.

I mentioned the winner of the NRC playing the winner of the JPN comp over in Japan, I think it could be a money spinner but would at least cover itself. Broadcasting, Sponsorship, and also the yen.

I haven't seen Bill splashing and wasting cash like the ARU has in the past.

As I've said above, could the NRC simply be an advertisement of our best talent and we loose even more players over seas - this is my biggest concern!!! My thought on that is working closely with Japan, possibly having them invest and have a team in the NRC. This maybe attractive to them leading up to their RWC.

T

TOCC

The NRC won't be offering players a decent wage, not in the first 2 seasons at least.. The deal agreed with RUPA for player payments is for low costs.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
The existing Super Rugby players with a Super contract for the following year don't receive any extra $ and I think the maximum otherwise is around $5K.

T

Train Without a Station

If it can develop into a marketable product, the player wages will be higher. Likely for the non-contracted players first over the already super contracted players too.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
I'd love to see that happen but here's the concern.
Our 3rd Tier NRC is rugby's 3rd best level of competition, behind Test and Super Rugby in the distant 3rd ranked winter sport.
It will be competing for media space, TV viewers and fans against rugby league and AFL, the Top 2 ranked winter sports.
Now Rugby league will have club games (2nd level behind SOO with Tests 3rd) and AFL will club games (1st level) being played against the NRC (3rd level).
Conversely in NZ the ITM comp might be the 3rd best level of competition but it's the clear No 1 sport in NZ. Similar in SA with 3rd best in No 2 sport.
Netball has gained momentum because it offers the best players at 2nd best level.
Consumers aren't mugs and both the stuck on rugby fan and general sports fan will be sceptical.
Rugby needs the 3rd tier NRC to work, but it will be tough convincing the paying public, and it's the paying public who will determine player's wages.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Surely he'd leave only after the World Cup which would no surprise, he could command $2 mil and deserve every penny.

badabing59

Cyril Towers (30)
Rugby needs the 3rd tier NRC to work, but it will be tough convincing the paying public, and it's the paying public who will determine player's wages.

Interesting article this morning from Midi-Olympique in France, which reports that the average gross monthly salary in the Top 14 is Euros 3,500 before tax, 2700 after.
These modest salaries may make players think twice before abandoning local competition for 'riches' in Europe.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I'd love to see that happen but here's the concern.
Our 3rd Tier NRC is rugby's 3rd best level of competition, behind Test and Super Rugby in the distant 3rd ranked winter sport.
It will be competing for media space, TV viewers and fans against rugby league and AFL, the Top 2 ranked winter sports.
Now Rugby league will have club games (2nd level behind SOO with Tests 3rd) and AFL will club games (1st level) being played against the NRC (3rd level).
Conversely in NZ the ITM comp might be the 3rd best level of competition but it's the clear No 1 sport in NZ. Similar in SA with 3rd best in No 2 sport.
Netball has gained momentum because it offers the best players at 2nd best level.
Consumers aren't mugs and both the stuck on rugby fan and general sports fan will be sceptical.

I can't comment on Vic, maybe train can assist.
Rebels V Storm - The storm had a big head start, few salary cap breaches, and premier ships - is rugby bridging the gap.
NRC is running after the NRL & AFL - always read that VIC proclaim to be the sporting capital of Aust lets hope they grab it.