• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Looks like a good move for Rob. He's done it all here (Wallabies, Super title) and now will have an opportunity to play a game that is probably more suited to his style these days, as well as being a great base for lots of travel through some of the best parts of the world throughout Europe.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep Brumby, looks a good decision for Horne and I suspect he will be a good buy for the club. The type of player I think northern clubs should be targetting, a very good and honest working type player, who could probably fill a few positions real well in that comp (as he does here I reckon)

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Also getting a bit squeezed here. Kerevi and TK would be preferred 13s. Beale and Hodge available for 12. Now cheika loves speed on the wing to balance DHPs boot and nouse, Koroibete, Speight and Naivalu, potentially with JOC (James O'Connor) and Tomane back for WC contention.

Horne wouldn't make my wallaby squad in 2017, and I don't think he would make Cheikas either

T

TOCC

London Irish looking to sign AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Saia Fainga'a

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: mst
T

TOCC

Also getting a bit squeezed here. Kerevi and TK would be preferred 13s. Beale and Hodge available for 12. Now cheika loves speed on the wing to balance DHPs boot and nouse, Koroibete, Speight and Naivalu, potentially with JOC (James O'Connor) and Tomane back for WC contention.

Horne wouldn't make my wallaby squad in 2017, and I don't think he would make Cheikas either

I think Horne still has value as a utility reserve, but I certainly think Hodge, Kerevi and Kuridrani are the priority retention players for the centres in the next 2-4 years cycle.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
I think Horne still has value as a utility reserve, but I certainly think Hodge, Kerevi and Kuridrani are the priority retention players for the centres in the next 2-4 years cycle.

100% especially if the wallabies have a couple of injuries, Horne suddenly becomes very valuable

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
London Irish looking to sign AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Saia Fainga'a

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Maybe not........

Adam Ashley-Cooper is the latest big name Wallaby to head to Japan while fellow Test back and NSW teammate Rob Horne will join UK Premiership side the Northampton Saints in a deal that will rule him out of contention for the 2019 World Cup.

Ashley-Cooper is understood to be signing with Top League side Kintetsu after being dumped by French club Bordeaux, meaning he will join good friend and fellow Wallaby Matt Giteau in Japan next season after the latter parted ways with Toulon.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...-with-northampton-saints-20170205-gu65wl.html

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
100% especially if the wallabies have a couple of injuries, Horne suddenly becomes very valuable

probably not valuable enough to avoid a contract downgrade. He got a quite a good offer last 2 years, Cheik favourite, wallabies VC, starter, key defence man.. now a bit squeezed out and probably not in 32 man squad, wouldn't be surprised if contract offer reflected that against an increased OS offer.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It also makes sense for Horne from a family perspective. He's got a young baby and if his wife was going to take a couple of years off work to care for the baby then doing it in the UK where he's making substantially more money and also reduces his travel so he can spend more time at home is good logic.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
^^^^That is a really good point BH. IMHO this is something a lot of people tend to forget. The allure of a Wallabies Jersey only goes so far as at the end of the day. This is their career, which is time limited, and as such their choices have a big impact to their future post rugby.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Scott Fardy off to the NH at the end of the season. Doesn't meet the 60 cap threshold, although I doubt he is serious consideration for the 2019 RWC squad anyway. Hence the move probably.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
No, I'd think the No 6 spot at the RWC is probably going to be fought out between McMahon, Dempsey, RHP, Higgers and whomever misses out on the 8 spot between Timani and Holloway. Valenti may be a long shot.

For the rest of this year though, I'll be very happy to see Scott turn out for the Brumbies.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Carter opts to stay in Australia after receiving a top up ARU contract along with Brumbies. Leaving Simmons and Skelton to fight it out over the last top up contract, the loser to receive club money only.....

Unless Skelton is a sure thing of heading back to saracens, or if Carter was seen as a desperate necessity to the Brumbies survival - how the f%#k does Carter deserve a top up contract over either Skelton or Simmons.

Obviously other factors come into play, such as, what is the club themselves happy and willing to pay a player. Maybe the Reds are more then happy to pay Simmons good money and therefore he doesn't NEED the top up contract unlike Carter.

T

TOCC

Carter opts to stay in Australia after receiving a top up ARU contract along with Brumbies. Leaving Simmons and Skelton to fight it out over the last top up contract, the loser to receive club money only...

Unless Skelton is a sure thing of heading back to saracens, or if Carter was seen as a desperate necessity to the Brumbies survival - how the f%#k does Carter deserve a top up contract over either Skelton or Simmons.

Obviously other factors come into play, such as, what is the club themselves happy and willing to pay a player. Maybe the Reds are more then happy to pay Simmons good money and therefore he doesn't NEED the top up contract unlike Carter.

Carter hasn't been in the top 4 local for the past 2 years IMO.. his 2014 form was outstanding and warranted a wallaby call up, he was injured in 2015 and earned a selection for the RWC on his form for 2014..
His 2016 form, despite opportunities at test level was unconvincing. He continue to be selected on what he did in 2014 but hasn't been able to replicate it since.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
What makes anyone think Carter has an ARU top up?

Would seem very unlikely based on the last couple of seasons of Wallabies selections.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk