• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Under the current self-imposed rules? Ineligible.

But the rules are arbitrary. Anything could happen. It wasn't so long ago that you couldn't play for Australia if you weren't playing for a Super side.

Then it was changed to allow players who had signed for Super Rugby in the following season to be picked (Vickerman and a half back whose name escapes me) and after that changed to bring the Giteau Rule into play.

If it's up to the coach at the time, will be interesting to see if Larkham (according to latest rumour) will have a different approach to the likes of Fardy.

EDIT : Luke Burgess.

EDIT No 2 : Even the next year signing has been amended in Matt To'omua's case where he will only be available for a very short period at the end of the next season.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Honestly, the halfway house is a joke. The rules are arbitrary and literally crafted to target individual ineligible players that the coach wants to pick right now.

Just say that all overseas players are eligible, but have a selection panel which prefers players in Australia. Or don't allow any overseas players. Whatever. I don't care. But don't pretend to have this image of consistency.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Honestly, the halfway house is a joke. The rules are arbitrary and literally crafted to target individual ineligible players that the coach wants to pick right now.

Just say that all overseas players are eligible, but have a selection panel which prefers players in Australia. Or don't allow any overseas players. Whatever. I don't care. But don't pretend to have this image of consistency.
Just cant see Super Rugby surviving full overseas eligibility, not that it looks like surviving regardless.

But if our domestic comp tanks, where do future players come from?

Clavis Ruo

Frank Nicholson (4)
Under the current self-imposed rules? Ineligible.

But the rules are arbitrary. Anything could happen. It wasn't so long ago that you couldn't play for Australia if you weren't playing for a Super side.

Yes, I think too many good players are being missed out on because of the rule. Maybe lower the threshold to 10 caps or 10 starts or something like that.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
Yes, I think too many good players are being missed out on because of the rule. Maybe lower the threshold to 10 caps or 10 starts or something like that.

I think it shouldn't be about the number of tests but maybe 5 years of super rugby. Currently you could be the 3rd best hooker in the world and play for 10 years with a super team only getting a handful of caps and are ineligible because of relative strength in a position.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I think it shouldn't be about the number of tests but maybe 5 years of super rugby. Currently you could be the 3rd best hooker in the world and play for 10 years with a super team only getting a handful of caps and are ineligible because of relative strength in a position.

have a super rugby cap as well, if you play 75 games of super rugby you can be selected no matter where you play, also extend eligibility to playing for any super rugby team

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I actually like the Welsh Rugby Union Method. That you can select anyone outside of the wales but they have a period of grace (1 year) to come back to the domestic comp otherwise they are made ineligible.

The Welsh method is a little different to that, but i agree its the best one used.

For starters they also have the 60 cap rule, but apart from that what they do is, if you are off contract and the WRU offers you a contract and you reject it to move to another country to play professionally, you are then ineligible. Rhys Webb is an example of this.

If they don't offer you a contract, move to England for example and then perform at a standard that's good enough for the national team, you can be selected. Josh Adams from Worcester is a prime example of this.

However when your contract finishes at that club and the WRU offers you a contract, the same rules apply. This method was only started around 12-18 months ago, all players that were with overseas clubs or had signed deals with overseas clubs prior are currently exempt until their contract expires.

Since it was announced they have seen the return of George North and Ross Moriarty to the regions, and fewer players leaving the regions. Its no surprise that the Welsh results have also dramatically improved since.

- 9 internationals won in a row
- beat Australia for the first time in 10 years
- 3 straight victories over South Africa
- an unbeaten tour to the Southern Hemisphere
- their first unbeaten November series.

If Australia had the same deal, perhaps Fardy might be eligible if the ARU didn't deem him worthy of a top up, plus players like Zac Holmes, Blair Connor, etc. would be able to be called up. Would also mean young players who aren't offered a deal at super rugby level could travel to another country for the opportunity and still be eligible, potentially keeping them in the game instead of heading to league.

Its definitely a better system

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
^^^ that's a very interesting model and I like it. Obviously they don't have the same geographical/travel limitations as us to be able to optimise it's use, but in concept it's a great idea.

B

Bobby Sands

Except at a lineout. So no.

Why?

Naisarani is a more than capable jumper.

How many jumpers do you want in your back row?

Ludicrous, if you propose McMahon and Pocock wouldn’t play together if available.

In fact, what back row do you propose as ideal?

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
At test level capable is good but accomplished is better. McMahon is kind of a combo of Pocock and Hooper with a little more height. His running game is excellent and he tackles like both Hooper and Pocock but he basically brings similar attributes.

6.Higgers 7.Pocock 8. Naisarani
or
6.Dempsey 7.Pocock 8. Higgers

McMahon is out of the picture right?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Why?

Naisarani is a more than capable jumper.

How many jumpers do you want in your back row?

Ludicrous, if you propose McMahon and Pocock wouldn’t play together if available.

In fact, what back row do you propose as ideal?
If it was a world class backrow you wouldn't be talking about capable jumpers. You would be talking about a world ckass jumper. Australia doesn't have a world class backrow at the moment so I won't be suggesting one.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
A world class backrow does not necessarily have to be made up of 3 WC players. A great back row is often one that is far superior to the sum of its parts.
Angus Cottrell is another I like to see in the mix.

B

Bobby Sands

If it was a world class backrow you wouldn't be talking about capable jumpers. You would be talking about a world ckass jumper. Australia doesn't have a world class backrow at the moment so I won't be suggesting one.

What a pathetic response!!