• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
After seeing my first Premiership game live at "twickers" between two mid table sides (quins vs wasps), I wouldn't get too excited about playing standards, a clear step down from Super Rugby. The top teams are surely better, but faark it was rubbish.

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
I have made an effort to watch some Euro games this summer, bit of a mixed bag for me. What are your thoughts on Skelton? I watched one Saracens game before Xmas and I basically saw the same player that was a the Tahs, nothing that made go "we really need this guy back ASAP"

Much rather have Fardy in the Wallabies as apparently he is killing it over there, unfortunately I have not watched any Pro 14 game.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Fardy is playing very well but at lock almost exclusively for Leinster. As we already know, he would most likely not be selected for the Wallabies as a lock. There are others ahead of him. He may be a good option on the bench as a 5/6.
The euro standard is pretty good in important games, Heineken cup etc.
There are others who would also be in contention for a wallaby squad spot. I agree about Skelton. Same player 30kgs lighter but still doing the stupid shit. Would not make the Wallabies IMHO.
I'm not sure if its the quality of the play that is higher but more the quality of the coaching and the structure at the clubs in general. Thats the difference that sees most of our players improve considerably when they play there.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Fardy is playing very well but at lock almost exclusively for Leinster. As we already know, he would most likely not be selected for the Wallabies as a lock. There are others ahead of him. He may be a good option on the bench as a 5/6.
The euro standard is pretty good in important games, Heineken cup etc.
There are others who would also be in contention for a wallaby squad spot. I agree about Skelton. Same player 30kgs lighter but still doing the stupid shit. Would not make the Wallabies IMHO.
I'm not sure if its the quality of the play that is higher but more the quality of the coaching and the structure at the clubs in general. Thats the difference that sees most of our players improve considerably when they play there.
Given how absolutely fucking diabolical our line-out was last year, i dont think anyone would be ahead of him (or should be).

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
After seeing my first Premiership game live at "twickers" between two mid table sides (quins vs wasps), I wouldn't get too excited about playing standards, a clear step down from Super Rugby. The top teams are surely better, but faark it was rubbish.
The game you saw was average that’s for sure played by two teams that were struggling. Happens plenty of times in Super Rugby. But a club game in front of about 70 thousand explains the difference in comps pretty clearly from a finacial point of view.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
The game you saw was average that’s for sure played by two teams that were struggling. Happens plenty of times in Super Rugby. But a club game in front of about 70 thousand explains the difference in comps pretty clearly from a finacial point of view.
Club owners subsiding the English premiership at $50m a year (ie losing $50m a year) doesn't hurt either.....

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
All their clubs bleed as much if not more than the Super Rugby franchises.

Sure they probably bring in more, but they spend all of it and then some on those stupidly massive player wages.

And they have to, to stay competitive. Race to the bottom.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

He would (or rather, should if in Australia) be starting for the Wallabies at 6, easily............

He's not a test lock, but he's head and shoulders (almost literally) above any other option we have at 6.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Both Beale and Elsom were outstanding in the NH before coming back to be somewhat underwhelming here.

I love Fardy as a player, but would fear that.

Besides, he just doesn't want to play under Cheika. It's time for everyone to move on.

Two years of consecutive rugby ruined Rocky Elsom's career. His body didn't cope and it is a fear I have of more players as they try and squeeze a season in Japan between Super Rugby.

Do you know about Fardy (interested to know not a crack)? I've had this arguments before and there has always been a lot of assumptions about why he left (myself included). Other things to note are that majority of the time in NH he has played lock and not 6. Would you pick him as a lock in Australia over Coleman and Rodda or the overrated Arnold that plenty of people suggest should be picked)? Do you think that Cheika wouldn't pick him if he was dominate here because he didn't like him? I think Cheika made a call at the back of 2016 that Fardy wasn't going to improve by RWC19 (as a 35yr old) and they decided to give some younger guys a crack. Part and parcel of managing teams and $$$.

Agree on the chat that we need to move past talking about him too. Unfortunately even on this great site there is hyperbolic effect on the chatter of players in the NH. I love rugby and watch bulk super (member of the reds but diehard tahs fan), all the tests, all NRC and club rugby but I watch f*ck all European stuff just as I'd imagine most of the other on here do.

The Giteau Law shows that Chekia wants to get the best players back no matter what. I dont think you can say he has vendettas against certain players but what RA and World Rugby have done is decreased the importance of test matches but increased the importance of the RWC. That should be addressed.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Do you know about Fardy (interested to know not a crack)? I've had this arguments before and there has always been a lot of assumptions about why he left (myself included). Other things to note are that majority of the time in NH he has played lock and not 6. Would you pick him as a lock in Australia over Coleman and Rodda or the overrated Arnold that plenty of people suggest should be picked)? Do you think that Cheika wouldn't pick him if he was dominate here because he didn't like him? I think Cheika made a call at the back of 2016 that Fardy wasn't going to improve by RWC19 (as a 35yr old) and they decided to give some younger guys a crack. Part and parcel of managing teams and $$$.

I think that was it. He was not given a RA top up for 2018 and decided to leave. Fair enough.

He didn't really have the grunt to compliment the Pooper but would be a great option at 6 in a traditional back row. He sure would be good to have leading into a RWC when we don't have anyone really putting up their hand for 6 and 8.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
He would (or rather, should if in Australia) be starting for the Wallabies at 6, easily....

He's not a test lock, but he's head and shoulders (almost literally) above any other option we have at 6.

Agreed, but interesting that Leinster do not play him there when they have other more beefed up lock options.

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
All their clubs bleed as much if not more than the Super Rugby franchises.

Sure they probably bring in more, but they spend all of it and then some on those stupidly massive player wages.

And they have to, to stay competitive. Race to the bottom.
Those club owners also own the competition in partnership which is valued at about 1 billion having got a huge input of capital for a share from private equity. Don’t think they are complaining. I have a funny feeling billionaires know more about business than our local Super Rugby ceos.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Those club owners also own the competition in partnership which is valued at about 1 billion having got a huge input of capital for a share from private equity. Don’t think they are complaining. I have a funny feeling billionaires know more about business than our local Super Rugby ceos.
Just because a business is worth a lot doesn't mean it's viable. I hate the specious argument that because a person has money they automatically know more than others. Fucking nonsense Donald J Trump reasoning. Its common knowledge the clubs lose a shitload and the owners cover the costs because they like rugby.

Its just a really expensive hobby.