• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I want it scrapped. I don't care that it gives a pathway for my favourite Aussie players to be in the Wallabies again: they left. The guys that are here are good enough.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I want it scrapped. I don't care that it gives a pathway for my favourite Aussie players to be in the Wallabies again: they left. The guys that are here are good enough.
It's a decent compromise now, given the fact that so much more money can be made overseas. Why should we force them to choose between making the most of a short career and representing their country?

If they can do the hard yards then they should be able to go overseas and still be elligible.

I'd rather it was based on years served rather than caps though, because then it also becomes a merit issue rather than purely a time served kind of thing. Say 6 years in Australian rugby, straight, before being eligible to be selected from overseas.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I reckon there's a direct correlation between the number and quality of our rugby players playing overseas and the decline in interest in our super rugby/sub-international competition.

Someone should do a graph

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
It's a decent compromise now, given the fact that so much more money can be made overseas. Why should we force them to choose between making the most of a short career and representing their country?

If they can do the hard yards then they should be able to go overseas and still be elligible.

I'd rather it was based on years served rather than caps though, because then it also becomes a merit issue rather than purely a time served kind of thing. Say 6 years in Australian rugby, straight, before being eligible to be selected from overseas.

It does include years of service, doesn't it? 60+ caps, 7+ years in Australian Rugby.
I never blame the guys when they go for the money and experience that is on offer overseas. As you say, short career, and one that could be over tomorrow if they tweak their knee badly in their sleep. However, if you are good enough, Australian Rugby will pay you pretty well:
  • Super Rugby contracts as high as $600,000 per year,
  • ARU top ups to match,
  • Average Wallabies match payments over the last ten years of $12,000 per game with up to sixteen games a year,
  • Bonuses paid for achieving certain KPIs.
You could earn over $1.5mil per year for playing in Australia. If you choose to leave, good luck to you, but we already do a lot to keep people here, especially through Wallabies selection.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think there will come a time in the next World Cup cycle where wage inflation overseas will be that great between the two, something will have to change. At the end of the day every players priorities are 1) family and 2) representing your country. If the average salary gets to the point it’s 4 times what can be earned here, that’s a war you can’t win.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The benefit of selecting overseas players on a larger scale really only works in RWC years where you get a long lead in time to the tournament.

The situation last year where we had To'omua and Polota-Nau having to fly back to the UK during the rest week in the Rugby Championship effectively makes it impossible to have a larger group of overseas players involved in your squad for those games.

The other huge hindrance is their lack of availability before the start of the test season. You can't prepare for a test if half your players are only available 4 days out from a test.

I doubt Cheika will make any moves to try and change things now unless there are a spate of injuries in the next month or two. Realistically the only player he'd be likely to want to pick from overseas is Skelton and it's completely unknown whether he'd actually improve things. We're pretty well stocked for locks currently. That said, this is his last hurrah and if he thinks it will improve his chances he might be tempted to convince RA to go along with it.

Whoever the new coach is will probably revisit the situation and potentially push for change if they think it will help the team.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
It’d be up to the players to negotiate terms in their contracts for certain periods to be released. Toby Falatau has such a contract with Bath which requires his release at certain times. The Premiership has rules around this to prevent players having it, so they have fined Bath a few times over it. But they knew this was a possibility and pay the fine upfront. The more players that wield this power, the more likely they’d be to change the rules.

To'omua and TPN were required to head back to Leicester in non international weeks, to avoid the fine. It made it a ridiculous situation.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The more players that wield this power, the more likely they’d be to change the rules.

To'omua and TPN were required to head back to Leicester in non international weeks, to avoid the fine. It made it a ridiculous situation.

Do players want to wield this power though given that it will likely cost them financially?

Negotiating longer release times in their contracts might improve their chances of getting selected for the Wallabies more often but likewise they will take a financial hit to do so. If the rules change in the future and there is a more open policy to selecting overseas players, chances of selection will decrease (as there is more competition) so you might end up negotiating a pay cut which never actually benefits you with Wallaby selection.

Faletau was certainly in a position where he was a walk up starter for Wales and highly in demand for Bath to make additional allowances in order to sign him.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Do players want to wield this power though given that it will likely cost them financially?

Negotiating longer release times in their contracts might improve their chances of getting selected for the Wallabies more often but likewise they will take a financial hit to do so. If the rules change in the future and there is a more open policy to selecting overseas players, chances of selection will decrease (as there is more competition) so you might end up negotiating a pay cut which never actually benefits you with Wallaby selection.

Faletau was certainly in a position where he was a walk up starter for Wales and highly in demand for Bath to make additional allowances in order to sign him.
It definitely depends who you are. If you are an 80 cap test player and still in your pomp you can probably demand whatever the fuck you want.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)

It probably wouldn’t be that much different pay wise if they no they are going to be picked for the wallabies. The match day payment for the wallabies would counteract any financial loss. The risk would be injuries and non selection, but the potential would be worth let’s say a 10-15% loss in wage. You can earn over $100k a year playing for the wallabies

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Jack Debreczeni seems to be coming of age in the Chiefs is he a worth while target in a couple of years to come back to the wallabies.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Screen Shot 2019-06-03 at 7.47.56 am.png

An elated Horwill after he scores a try in his final professional match. Captained the BaaBaas well, I'm going to miss him.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Jake McIntyre has signed for French giants Clermont next season. There was a little talk 6months ago of his potential return to Aus but I guess this rules it out