• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Actually, I should've checked the G&R archive first.......

BJ first reported that Matt Philip was off to Pau on Xmas eve LAST YEAR.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
From 7th March:

Philip has been linked to French club Pau but Wessels was confident that the 26-year-old would remain with the Rebels.
After playing his three Tests on the Wallabies' Spring tour in late 2017, Wessels said he'd earnt another call-up.
"I don't think Matt is heading to France but I can understand why French clubs want to chase a guy like that," he said.

Is there any more recent news?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Players such as the three mentioned have been taking contracts at French and British clubs for many years. For some it's a chance to earn good money towards the end of a career, for others it's done because they are having trouble breaking into the extended Wallabies squad and go for the money or the lifestyle or to gain experience at NH rugby or a combination of all of these. It's a professional game, nothing to see here.

I also think it's quite likely that we'll see a greater number in the next couple of years as the amount of money available in Australia declines.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The time to be concerned will be when someone who would be in the top 10 "most wanted" for RA in terms of contracting priority takes an overseas contract.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
The time to be concerned will be when someone who would be in the top 10 "most wanted" for RA in terms of contracting priority takes an overseas contract.

Who would you say is in the RA top 10 most wanted? It would be tough balancing locking in future stars with current and necessary talent. I;d say an crosscut of positions aswell

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Who would you say is in the RA top 10 most wanted? It would be tough balancing locking in future stars with current and necessary talent. I;d say an crosscut of positions aswell

At this stage?

1 Ala'alatoa
2 Hooper
3 Rodda
4 Sio
5 Tupou
6 Slipper
7 LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
8 DHP
9 To'omua
10 White

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

I think it's more likely than not that more than one in the top ten will take an overseas contract as the money in Australia dries up. In fact it's more likely to be most of the top 30.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

I'll ignore Michael Hooper, Allan Ala'alatoa, Taniela Tupou Izack Rodda, Scott Sio, Lukhan Salakaia-Loto and Jordan Petaia who have already signed long term contracts through to the 2023 RWC (or 2022 in the case of Sio, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Petaia).

I would say players like Harry Wilson, Liam Wright, Rob Valetini, Isi Naisarani, Folau Fainga'a, Angus Bell, Isaac Lucas, Noah Lolesio, Will Harrison.

Certainly the situation is much better given that a number of longer term contracts have already been locked in. Of course the current situation could throw those into jeopardy but if those contracts have to be renegotiated because there's no money then things will fall apart regardless.

I would certainly say there are alarm bells ringing if any of that first lot are released from their contract to seek other opportunities.

When I posted I certainly hadn't considered just how many of our key players are already signed up.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I'll ignore Michael Hooper, Allan Ala'alatoa, Taniela Tupou Izack Rodda, Scott Sio, Lukhan Salakaia-Loto and Jordan Petaia who have already signed long term contracts through to the 2023 RWC (or 2022 in the case of Sio, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Petaia).

I would say players like Harry Wilson, Liam Wright, Rob Valetini, Isi Naisarani, Folau Fainga'a, Angus Bell, Isaac Lucas, Noah Lolesio, Will Harrison.

Certainly the situation is much better given that a number of longer term contracts have already been locked in. Of course the current situation could throw those into jeopardy but if those contracts have to be renegotiated because there's no money then things will fall apart regardless.

I would certainly say there are alarm bells ringing if any of that first lot are released from their contract to seek other opportunities.

When I posted I certainly hadn't considered just how many of our key players are already signed up.

Wasn't it a part of the COVID19 wages agreement that all contracted players have the option to supplement their income in either Europe/UK or Japan?

I might have misunderstood, but that's my recollection of the agreement.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Wasn't it a part of the COVID19 wages agreement that all contracted players have the option to supplement their income in either Europe/UK or Japan?

I might have misunderstood, but that's my recollection of the agreement.

I think it was only a few right at the top who have that option.

I don't see that as an issue if one of these players takes a short term contract overseas but stays on their longer RA contract in keeping with that.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah, I wouldn't have considered Coleman as being in the top 5 performing locks last year.........

His form never crossed over to the east coast......... damn elites.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I think it was only a few right at the top who have that option.

I don't see that as an issue if one of these players takes a short term contract overseas but stays on their longer RA contract in keeping with that.

6 players. My guess would be AAA, Hooper, Sio, Kuridrani, To'omua and DHP. Players who they don't want to lose but can understand them chasing some dollars in the off season at this stage of their careers.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I am pretty sure Beale was on the list as one of the highest paid which is moot because this will be his last season on an Australian contract.