• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Rodda I understand and it's no surprise he got a good contract at Lyon. He's a proven Test performer.

It's Hockings and Lucas I don't. Who's going to take a chance on them when they're both 21 and done nothing?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Not so much an exodus, rather missing out on a future star altogether

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/n...l/news-story/c1416f3e27e6b426f9e4053c808f324e

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
Boy doesn’t he look thrilled too! Shame for us but far out how can you compete with that obscene kind of money.

AB44D378-02C6-4124-B54A-0909B3E0516E.jpeg

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
The contracts are being drawn up but he can’t legally sign until August 1, so there is effectively a 6 week cooling off period. My boys tell me he openly says he prefers rugby so hopefully RA keep dangling that Olympic 7s carrot.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Rodda will be back looking for a contract 2 year contract to take him through to the WC. He may even sign one quite early so he is Test eligible at the back end of 2021.

Clubs here will be able to sign by then obviously, the big dogs like Skelton, Arnold and Coleman all have contracts which would end I assume early to mid 2022, and a current big RA contract holder in Simmons finishes in 2021. Stars would be aligning for a good deal for him for 2022&2023

Dazzling

Frank Nicholson (4)
Thanks. I missed that back in March. Strange it taken until now for both Saracens and La Rochelle to announce it. UK media outlets only ran the story yesterday.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Thanks. I missed that back in March. Strange it taken until now for both Saracens and La Rochelle to announce it. UK media outlets only ran the story yesterday.

I suppose the french announced when they got the signature, Uk announced when he actually left.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
Boy doesn’t he look thrilled too! Shame for us but far out how can you compete with that obscene kind of money.

View attachment 11536

Good on young Jo I say - I hear that he is a talent and any kid playing in a GPS school first grade at 14 has to be a freak.
The thing tho that gets me is this.....
Wasnt the NRL on its knees one week into the pandemic? V'Landys immediately had his hand out to the gubberment and the clubs were all crying poor.
There has been evidence of a phenomenal amount of money wasted, gone missing and poor financial management.
No more than 2 months later, the mungos are back at doing what they know best - throwing money around like a drunken sailor.
The NRL, media and its sycophants are again back slapping at such a coup. That'll do me...

I hope Jo knows that also that once you go to league, you may not have the doors available to you post playing career wise...
but good on him I say.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I think that the players have sensed that wages in Australia are headed for a significant decrease not only for the rest of 2020 but into the foreseeable future.

Over 55% of RA income comes from the broadcast deal (or at least it did up to and including 2019). That money is going to decrease significantly so it's hard to see player wages for any other than the Wallaby level players being anything like what they have been.

RA and RUPA are meeting on Thursday to thrash out a deal. Although the players union has not tabled a counter offer, one report suggested the players would agree to a 30 per cent pay reduction - averaged across the group - from October until the end of the year.
The stalemate heaps further pressure on the organisation, which is already battling to make the re-negotiated broadcast deal - worth between $8 million and $9 million, according to sources - cover competition costs and player and staff wages.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...yers-threaten-pay-revolt-20200624-p555v1.html

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I’ll have another go at upsetting Upthereds - Blake Enever and Harry Potter have signed for Leicester Tigers.

Not upset. WELL actually am. I guess the 'compassionate release' was so enever could spend some time with his family before bailing.

Guess it's tough, late 20's, taking a decent pay cut atm for the rest of his ccontract, and no guarentee if he'll get one/what it'll be worth next year in Australia - even though a few teams would love him. Go away for a year and maybe come back maybe not

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
What's the state of overseas rugby? Are Beale, Enever & Jones all on the next flight out to start training with their new clubs ASAP?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Boris is floundering politically and so is opening Britain up to score cheap points with the libertarian types despite not having Covid under any sort of control.

EPL is under way and you can fly to England - so i dont see why they cant.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I know Boris wants a Free Trade Agreement with Australia, but we just seem to be sending them stuff (Rugby players and Tim Tams) without getting anything back.