• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Ex-Rebel Sione Tuipulotu has signed a contract with Glasgow Warriors. He’s Scottish qualified as well. Hopefully his younger brother doesn’t go the same way as he’s one hell of a talent

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
OK, so these Kiwis are in NSW. Personally I think this sort of flexibility is necessary if a fully fledged TT is to happen.

What is the thinking behind the “journeyman” perjoritive?
I don’t think anyone has a problem with their nationality - other than it highlights the problem we are having keeping our best locks.

We have a problem because they haven’t been up to standards.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
OK, so these Kiwis are in NSW. Personally I think this sort of flexibility is necessary if a fully fledged TT is to happen.

What is the thinking behind the “journeyman” perjoritive?

If they were any good they wouldn't have left NZ.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Dru, my understanding is that a journeyman is a player who has moved rather frequently from club to club. Jack Whetton had a year or two at the Brumbies some years ago, and then moved North to play with Leicester Tigers and some others before returning to the Highlanders before latching up with the Tahs. Not sure if he had Super contract with any others before the Brumbies, but I'd reckon he probably qualifies for the tag, journeyman. BTW, some articles related to him state that he is the son of previous AB captain, Gary Whetton. I believe that is not so. His father I think was Alan Whetton, Gary's twin brother (?), also an AB, but not captain.

EDIT : incidentally, he apparently is Wallaby eligible through an Australian grandmother. Not sure we'll ever see him in gold though.

Reactions: dru

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Dru, my understanding is that a journeyman is a player who has moved rather frequently from club to club. Jack Whetton had a year or two at the Brumbies some years ago

EDIT : incidentally, he apparently is Wallaby eligible through an Australian grandmother. Not sure we'll ever see him in gold though.

Never say never. Cheika started the lock chicken wheel in 2015 and it’s never really stopped. 3 more are out of the picture for the June tests at least, Blake Enever returning might stabilise the issue!

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Never say never. Cheika started the lock chicken wheel in 2015 and it’s never really stopped. 3 more are out of the picture for the June tests at least, Blake Enever returning might stabilise the issue!
Depending on how his team goes, Philip should be back and available for mid-year internationals. His team is sitting 12th so unlikely to feature in finals.

If Rodda signs for an Aus team and his team doesn’t make the playoffs will also be available for French tests.

We could potentially have Rodda, Philip and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) in the squad

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Depending on how his team goes, Philip should be back and available for mid-year internationals. His team is sitting 12th so unlikely to feature in finals.

If Rodda signs for an Aus team and his team doesn’t make the playoffs will also be available for French tests.

We could potentially have Rodda, Philip and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) in the squad
That would be nice, my post was semi sarcastic though!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
BTW, some articles related to him state that he is the son of previous AB captain, Gary Whetton. I believe that is not so. His father I think was Alan Whetton, Gary's twin brother (?), also an AB, but not captain.

Other way around. Gary is his father and Alan is his uncle.

He's a journeyman on the basis that he has drifted from team to team seeking continued employment because generally he has not been a priority to be re-signed by his existing team.

The contrast of someone who has played for a lot of clubs would be someone who moved because they were in high demand and they brought good form and success with them and were then highly sought after elsewhere.

Sonny Bill Williams would be a pretty good example here across two sports. He has played in many places but generally to a high level and won a lot of titles for different teams.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Good player with great work ethic but he's limited and not shown a great deal of improvement - I think we have adequate depth to cover him.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Dru, my understanding is that a journeyman is a player who has moved rather frequently from club to club..

Pretty sure that the dictionary definition is "a person who has finished his apprenticeship". The word has taken on a different meaning through misuse. We can all agree to disagree about just who is, or is not, a journeyman. I like the dictionary definition.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Pretty sure that the dictionary definition is "a person who has finished his apprenticeship". The word has taken on a different meaning through misuse. We can all agree to disagree about just who is, or is not, a journeyman. I like the dictionary definition.
Isnt that because tradesmen back in the day would move on once their apprenticeship was complete? It just means someone who's moved to new pastures to ply their trade.

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
Originally it was Master tradesman - Journeyman - Apprentice, I think the missing ingredient with the Tahs is pretty clear...

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
He'd be silly not to. He's done his bit for the team, think he want 8 months without seeing his wife and child last year.

Pretty sure he got an exemption for his wife & kids to go to sydney after he came back from the 2 tests in nz, i remember him posting a story on insta of his kids at 1 of the tests, but your right it was a really long time.

On him getting paid IMO he prob the one that deserves it but players never get paid on deserves it ahead of what they could be, maybe sign him for 3 years with a yr sabbatical in Japan?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Pretty sure he got an exemption for his wife & kids to go to sydney after he came back from the 2 tests in nz, i remember him posting a story on insta of his kids at 1 of the tests, but your right it was a really long time.

On him getting paid IMO he prob the one that deserves it but players never get paid on deserves it ahead of what they could be, maybe sign him for 3 years with a yr sabbatical in Japan?

He's still young, 28 years old. Wouldn't be surprised if he tried a year or two overseas and came back to Aus. Japan would be tough with young kids.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
He's still young, 28 years old. Wouldn't be surprised if he tried a year or two overseas and came back to Aus. Japan would be tough with young kids.

I only said japan because that's where he has been linked to, personally if it was me sign me up to racing or stade right now lol. But I don't have kids & I can imagine picking somewhere to play overseas right now would be extremely hard in the current climate especially with a young family.