• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I only said japan because that's where he has been linked to, personally if it was me sign me up to racing or stade right now lol. But I don't have kids & I can imagine picking somewhere to play overseas right now would be extremely hard in the current climate especially with a young family.

Yeah, I'm in Paris right now and would dread having kids with me. This place is intense. Don't know where I'd recommend for young kids. Maybe the South of France, warmer, cities are more manageable and you don't have to live in a tiny apartment that you share with bedbugs, your kids and the small of Jean-Pierre cooking fish downstairs.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Yeah, I'm in Paris right now and would dread having kids with me. This place is intense. Don't know where I'd recommend for young kids. Maybe the South of France, warmer, cities are more manageable and you don't have to live in a tiny apartment that you share with bedbugs, your kids and the small of Jean-Pierre cooking fish downstairs.

Maybe he doesn't want to raise his kids in the ppls democratic republic of melbourne? couldn't blame him

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)

Biarritz would be the dream. Very kid friendly and a sweet laid back beachie vibe. Lovely Basque food and San Sebastian a small drive away over the border. Oh snowboarding & Bordeaux not too far either

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Was hopeful one of the Super Rugby sides would get John Porch after he’s been playing great rugby in the Pro14 but he’s just extended his contract for another year at Connacht.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Was hopeful one of the Super Rugby sides would get John Porch after he’s been playing great rugby in the Pro14 but he’s just extended his contract for another year at Connacht.

Thats a shame. Handy player. Played some nice footy in 7's. How long has he extended for?

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Just an extra year. Would be available for the 2023 Super Rugby season at best

I guess that's not too bad.. he must be getting towards his late 20's now? If he can keep the pace he might still bounce back as a decent player come 2023.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Good to see the Western Force recruiting against the tide of the Aussie exodus:
  • Jono Lance
  • Greg Holmes
  • Sitaleki Timani
  • Jake McIntyre
  • Kyle Godwin
  • Izack Rodda (2022)
Was also good to see the WF building depth form OS rather than plundering other Aussie Super Rugby franchises:
  • Santiago Medrano
  • Tomas Lezana
  • Tomas Cubelli
  • Domingo Miotti
  • Richard Kahui
  • Rob Kearney
  • Jordan Olowofela
The Wider Training Group (7) and the Force Academy/Emerging Playing Squad (10) offer great opportunities for young players to develop under an elite rugby program.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It's inevitable. For Japan and the French/English billionaires it's a vanity project they are willing to lose money on. No point competing with that (or a tax write off?).

I still think we do what Rassie did. Open selection entirely and focus local funds on local players.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
It's inevitable. For Japan and the French/English billionaires it's a vanity project they are willing to lose money on. No point competing with that (or a tax write off?).

I still think we do what Rassie did. Open selection entirely and focus local funds on local players.
Nah would open a flood gate and standard would be too low for local pro competition. South Africa have to way bigger pool of registered rugby players

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Still think our way forward is to somehow play more with the Japanese, get more our teams playing theirs and be able to select Wallabies from both comps.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

I get what your saying but we have a guy worth more than every top14 owner put together wanting to invest right here right now in our game & we cant think outside the square to keep one of our best few? not only that I watched the MLR game sunday & I thought how is a talent like goddard 22 years of age playing 9 in the 6th best league in the world & not a 21 at Super Rugby level

Rassie didnt have Rugby league or AFL to compete with rugby is a massive sport in RSA, if we open the flood gates our standard would completely fall apart here everyone who managed to play under 20's would be gone by 21, not just blokes at the top cashing in or blokes who cant get a contract.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Which is why to help bridge the gap we need to develop a TT competition that
Is the premier competition that attracts more fans and hence more broadcast revenues and hence more money for players - clearly won’t ever compete with Europe and Japan but need to as part of raft of things to do also ensure more revenue in the door to pay decent salaries especially cf league etc

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Which is why to help bridge the gap we need to develop a TT competition that
Is the premier competition that attracts more fans and hence more broadcast revenues and hence more money for players - clearly won’t ever compete with Europe and Japan but need to as part of raft of things to do also ensure more revenue in the door to pay decent salaries especially cf league etc

We need the wallabies to fluke a RWC win & someone to pay double for the tv rights lol

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I get what your saying but we have a guy worth more than every top14 owner put together wanting to invest right here right now in our game & we cant think outside the square to keep one of our best few? not only that I watched the MLR game sunday & I thought how is a talent like goddard 22 years of age playing 9 in the 6th best league in the world & not a 21 at Super Rugby level

Rassie didnt have Rugby league or AFL to compete with rugby is a massive sport in RSA, if we open the flood gates our standard would completely fall apart here everyone who managed to play under 20's would be gone by 21, not just blokes at the top cashing in or blokes who cant get a contract.

No but he does have Basketball and Soccer to contend with.

Sure, if Twiggy wants to save the day that's great. Better hurry up.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
In short we need private equity to make the required investment in the game to better secure the current footprint and position for growth and moreso we also need more money in the game to make this sort of investment in view of the big threat of increasing poaching of players by Japan and new pro competition.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
No but he does have Basketball and Soccer to contend with.

Sure, if Twiggy wants to save the day that's great. Better hurry up.

Basketball & soccer are no where near bringing in the cash in rsa compared to the afl & nrl is in aus interms of a competition to rugby

& twiggy tried & got knocked back