• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He was recruited to play county cricket as a path into the test side. It is a clear issue and it is something that angers fans. I get there will always be loopholes. But it does devalue representing your nation. The ECB changed their requirements for Archer to qualify for the World Cup and Ashes

I don't disagree. I also don't think there is an easy way to resolve it.

The ECB changed their rules in relation to Archer but only to bring them into line with the ICC rules.

Pietersen went on to become one of England's greatest ever cricketers and is pretty embedded there now with an English wife and several children.

The whole issue is complex.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Pieterson's mother was born in the UK so under rugby's rules would have been eligible for England immediately.

Archer's father was also born in the UK so he too would have been eligible immediately in rugby.

The ICC has a residency requirement for eligibility which is three years (previously four) but they don't have the parent/grandparent rule rugby has.

Cricket also allows switching allegiances far more easily.

Yep and we had Wessels came to play in Aus then returned to SA. And NZ has Conway (I think) at moment. But cricket can do what they want, with rugby I think we have as close to fair as possible with 5 year residency.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Yep and we had Wessels came to play in Aus then returned to SA. And NZ has Conway (I think) at moment. But cricket can do what they want, with rugby I think we have as close to fair as possible with 5 year residency.
Wagner was also an import. Weesels was during apartheid but different that

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Well he was living here playing club cricket and Packer recruited him for WSC

He was enticed to Australia to play WSC. The club cricket was really a trial organised by Packer before he was given a contract.

The only difference with Wessels is that initially he wasn't playing for an official Australian side so there was no qualification period.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Thats shit, I feel like he's just starting to live up to his potential.

Yeah along way off being a wallaby though, im all for a young bloke from the outer north suburbs of melbourne going & getting paid, but for the wallabies we need depth in Super Rugby & its this type of player missing that hurts.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Yeah along way off being a wallaby though, im all for a young bloke from the outer north suburbs of melbourne going & getting paid, but for the wallabies we need depth in Super Rugby & its this type of player missing that hurts.
It hurts as the club was trying to build a foundation off these local boys. Seeing another go is very disappointing

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
It hurts as the club was trying to build a foundation off these local boys. Seeing another go is very disappointing

Now gives an opportunity to someone like Josh Canham to step up & then an academy spot opens up. Its not the end of the club or victorian rugby that he has taken up this offer. The culture is strong with the 3 others & the 3 RV boys who are on the fringes.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Now gives an opportunity to someone like Josh Canham to step up & then an academy spot opens up. Its not the end of the club or victorian rugby that he has taken up this offer. The culture is strong with the 3 others & the 3 RV boys who are on the fringes.
More Vic junior’s playing pro rugby elsewhere than the Rebels

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
More Vic junior’s playing pro rugby elsewhere than the Rebels
But that will always be the case. I would guess that there are more Q’laders and NSWelshman playing elsewhere than for the Reds and Waratahs. I agree it sucks that he has to go elsewhere to earn his living but thats the reality of having a 5 team comp and an 9 game season, even of there is eventually an expanded TT +/- asia pacific comp, the opportunities for expanded playing numbers is going to be limited. Cant begrudge him the move, and i dont think it is a Rebels culture thing

Reactions: dru

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
But that will always be the case. I would guess that there are more Q’laders and NSWelshman playing elsewhere than for the Reds and Waratahs. I agree it sucks that he has to go elsewhere to earn his living but thats the reality of having a 5 team comp and an 9 game season, even of there is eventually an expanded TT +/- asia pacific comp, the opportunities for expanded playing numbers is going to be limited. Cant begrudge him the move, and i dont think it is a Rebels culture thing
But that’s because both those states would produce enough pro players for more than two squads it’s impossible for them to keep them all. That is not the case for us.

Limited opportunity is the reason we need a full home and away season next year, more games will force you to use more players and give more opportunities to blokes

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
My point is we are never going to keep all our home grown talent thats just the reality. Yes it would be great if more stayed. I dont know how thats achievable at the present or in the foreseeable future

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Watched that Suaalli kid run out for the Bears this arvo. Glad we didn't break the bank to sign him. He's still got a long way to go.
Let league develop him for a few years then get him back. Could you imagine him and Petaia Playing together in a wallaby backline in 3 years