• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
I had thought that Rokobaro had played for Fiji A team though he thought he was playing for the Fiji u20s. In his first year at the Rebels he was appealing to get his cap for Fiji overturned but I don't think it came to anything and now he's played for the Fiji national team anyway. If Fiji do it maybe we could do it too though more upfront and not try make players think they're not locking themselves in. French teams will be allowed fewer and fewer marquee internationals which is why they've poached Foketi from the rebels and Aus u20s. If ARU have they're backs to the wall they need some solutions. I'm guessing the RUPA would think otherwise about the suggestion though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Sean Maitland too.

Are the Junior All Blacks the same side as the NZ U20s?

No. Back in the day e.g. when they beat the AB, to be a JAB you had to be 23 or under. JAB got done away with & more or less replaced with NZ A for a while, then someone at NZRU HQ decided to tag all their rep sides as something AB, hence AB 7's, Maori AB & finally JAB.

Last time I heard, which was during the Shingler fiasco, JAB were still our official 2nd team even though they hadn't (& still haven't) played since about 2008.

IMO the IRB should just say that if you represent a country at any IRB tournament then that's it, you're committed to that country for life, no exceptions.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Were the Barbarians that played the U20's in a trial match before Jnr RWC at Chatswood THE Barbarians for the purposes of IRB second Australian Team consideration?

I think they (Barbarians) also played a warm up game at Ballymore against Reds Development earlier in the year as well.

The U20's flogged the Barbars in Chatswood. They were just solid Shute Shield level journeymen rather than the Aust 2nd best.

No. It's got to be against another nation's A team as well.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
FoxSports site has a Sunday Telegraph article saying Kurtley Beale is being head hunted by the Bulldogs NRL club. Also says he's off contract so maybe it's just his agent doing the "give my boy more money or he's outa here" thing.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
FoxSports site has a Sunday Telegraph article saying Kurtley Beale is being head hunted by the Bulldogs NRL club. Also says he's off contract so maybe it's just his agent doing the "give my boy more money or he's outa here" thing.

KB (Kurtley Beale) was quoted back in his Rebels days as wanting to play league. Recent talk, combined with his wallaby pine warming duties, is contributing even more to the rumour. Can't see him going OS, we saw what happened last he he moved out of Sydney.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Georgina Robinson has just written article stating that Beale looks as though a code switch is the last thing on his mind and that the ARU are confident he'll sign for another 2 years or more.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Georgina Robinson has just written article stating that Beale looks as though a code switch is the last thing on his mind and that the ARU are confident he'll sign for another 2 years or more.

I assume you means this bit for Georgie's article (Fairfax media):

After voicing his frustration over his place in the Wallabies' pecking order last month, Beale appeared a much more contented character in Brisbane at the weekend. And despite interest in the Test playmaker's talents from the NRL and European rugby, it is understood the ARU are reasonably confident they have tabled an offer attractive enough to convince Beale to stay in rugby for the next two or more years.

"There's no news yet but hopefully we'll get a decision done soon," Beale said.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/waratahs-must-step-up-to-complete-rugby-revolution-says-kurtley-beale-20140713-zt61o.html#ixzz37Ll03Xu7

Meanwhile, the other Publisher (news Limited) have this to say:

Australian rugby faces yet more bad news with reports that Kurtley Beale could be about to switch codes.
Just a week after star winger Nick Cummins announced he was moving to play club rugby in Japan - ruling him out of contention for the Wallabies' World Cup squad next year - Australia's Sunday Telegraph revealed that the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs have approached Beale about a move to the NRL.

Read more at http://www.espnscrum.com/australia/rugby/story/233727.html#ht2ugGfVlivVLce8.99

ESPN Scrum are running the News Limited article under their own banner.

For GAGR to decide...

T

TOCC

It would be an awfully big risk for the Bulldogs to table an offer an attractive enough to recruit Kurtley, I'd imagine his stakes have risen slightly in recent months with the ARU so it all depends on how much he is willing to sacrifice financially to play in the NRL.

I think its just a ploy to get more money on his next deal, no doubt he follows the NRL and would like to play in the NRL, but i doubt the offer is significant enough to actually swap.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
I'm heartened by the fact that it seems Robinson is reporting about what she is witnessing directly. Beale is not going to tell her that he is staying in rugby but she seems to read his body language. Of course it could go either way but Beale has threatened to go to NRL at every contract negotiation he's had so far.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
"CHANCE ENCOUNTER? Israel Folau, above right wearing hat, with his manager Isaac Moses and high-ranking NRL official Todd Greeberg

"If Israel Folau returns to the game that made him famous, this could be the moment the move was hatched.

"The Wallabies star and his manager, Isaac Moses, were spotted in discussions with the NRL's head of football, Todd Greenberg, at the Azure Cafe at Allianz Stadium in Sydney yesterday.

"The mid-morning meeting at the Moore Park precinct went for about 40 minutes, although Folau excused himself halfway through.

"Greenberg made no secret of his desire to lure Folau to Canterbury when he was chief executive of the "Family Club".

"The surprise catchup - held just one win shy of a historic home Super Rugby final for the Waratahs - suggested Greenberg still wanted Folau back in the 13-man code in his new role at Rugby League Central.

"The development came amid suggestions another Wallaby star, Kurtley Beale, was almost a done-deal to switch to the Bulldogs at the end of the season. Beale, off contract at the end of the year, was also managed by Moses."

I found it on stuff.co.nz, presumably it'll also be on Fairfax Oz sites.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I have said it before, and I'll say it again. The NRL are desperate to get Folau back, and they will spend whatever it takes.

Forget all about precedents, dissatisfaction on the part of other players, etc etc. If Izzy can be bought, they will buy him.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Izzy can be, has been, and will be bought. I mean, the guy was willing to quit his lucrative star studded career in loigue to play AFL, never having picked up a Sherrin in his life.

The guy's a mercenary. All we can do is accept that he will be leaving Union at some stage, and hope that it's after he's helped win a wolrd cup and the Bledisloe.

Nelse

Chris McKivat (8)
I spoke to him after the Reds v Tahs last weekend. Nicest guy in the world (where I got the photo). I asked him if it was hard to be sitting watching the origin earlier in the week. He said "Look it was hard when I first came over because I really did miss it. But now I'm really enjoying my rugby and it's not hard at all. I don't miss it like I used to". He seems like a pretty genuine guy so I hope he's gonna stick around for a while

T

Train Without a Station

I have said it before, and I'll say it again. The NRL are desperate to get Folau back, and they will spend whatever it takes.

Forget all about precedents, dissatisfaction on the part of other players, etc etc. If Izzy can be bought, they will buy him.

And we've said it before, it would open up the flood gates for the other 30 odd super starts in the game and that is what they cannot afford.

Is it a win if they get Izzy and lose Inglis and Hayne over it?

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Toulon could outbid any NRL team easily.

They couldn't outbid the NRL itself, which is what Wamberal is talking about.

As for Folau being a mercenary. Surely if that were true there's no way he would have come to Australian rugby. His pay packed was cut in half when he switched. He would have stayed in the AFL or moved straight to French rugby.