• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ Fat lot of good that did Tyler O'Blyendall, or Gareth Anscombe.

As others have said, it would be good for him to learn some of the trade secrets from across the ditch before he comes back here.

T

Train Without a Station

Interesting one big Sita. When was he first capped? 2012? Yet within a year a flew the coop.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I know Tonga is bad at 7s, but could they really pick Timani and Gerrard to play in the IRB Sevens World Series and/or Olympic Qualifiers to become eligible?

I guess having Timani for test rugby would make it worthwhile picking a player who would get lapped on the Sevens field.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Aussie Passports are 4 years, as far as I'm aware, and I think Kiwis without natural citizenship might have to jump through a couple of extra hoops due to the freedom of travel between the countries.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He wouldn't have an Australian passport.

He also wouldn't have lived here long enough yet to become a citizen I wouldn't have thought.

Doesn't matter how long he lives here, unless he was in Australia on a particular date in (from memory) 1994 he's only here on a Special Category Visa & can never become eligible for permanent residency, let alone citizenship. The same quirk of date means that Russell Crowe is doomed to live out his days as a telephone-throwing, paparazzi-punching kiwi rather than a two-time Oscar-winning Ocker.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
We need to focus on keeping hold of Big Willie.

Google AD
price-freeze11_hp.jpg

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Doesn't matter how long he lives here, unless he was in Australia on a particular date in (from memory) 1994 he's only here on a Special Category Visa & can never become eligible for permanent residency, let alone citizenship. The same quirk of date means that Russell Crowe is doomed to live out his days as a telephone-throwing, paparazzi-punching kiwi rather than a two-time Oscar-winning Ocker.

I understand if Crowe promises never to apply for Aus citizenship, we may relax the criteria

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Know its really early but I wonder WHO potentially will head OS, particularly after the RWC.

Reckon some candidates include Benn Robinson, James Horwill, Jake Schatz, Liam Gill

Others????????

T

Train Without a Station

Doubt Horwill will and didn't Gill only resign this year? There was complaints about the fact the 3rd choice openside at the time didn't get a top up.

Robinson would be likely if the Tahs won it I'd say, only because he is at that stage of his career.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)

We have some very good and inventive Migration lawyers up there on Chrismas Island. Maybe they could help????

lemoen

Ted Fahey (11)
There was an article last year about one of the guys making a weekly Top14/Heineken Cup highlights of the Aussies abroad. Is that still going on?

Riviera274

Peter Burge (5)
Australia can't afford to squander players the way NZ,SA and England do by ignoring those playing offshore. Australia's playing base.....1/5 th that of England or less than 1/3rd New Zealand's,cries out for a change in strategy. Do Ireland ignore Sexton for playing in France.Of course not...but they have More
Players than Australia.

The most valuable player in Europe by far is Matt Giteau...ignored by Mckenzie..
And a class above Cooper or Beale as Europeans know.

Crazy!!