• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

T

Train Without a Station

By the end of next year AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will likely be close to falling out of the first choice XV anyway.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
At the end of next year maybe, but I can't see how he is close to being dropped at present. He is one of our most consistent performers, brings a truck load of experience and who else is there? Speight may well walk in and be a sensation, but he is injured and is still to actually play a test. Plus, if he's picked it will be on the other wing. Who else? Is there actually another fit eligible winger that would even be close to being considered?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't think Toulon care.

This is a pack they could put out

1. Carl Hayman
2. Craig Burden
2. Castro
4. Bakkies
5. Ali Williams
6. Juan Smith
7. Steffon Armitage
8. Lobbe

Also Gorgodze and Masoe to come.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I don't think Toulon care.

This is a pack they could put out

1. Xavier Chiocci
2. Craig Burden
2. Carl Hayman
4. Bakkies
5. Ali Williams
6. Juan Smith
7. Steffon Armitage
8. Lobbe

Also Castro, Gorgodze and Masoe to come.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I haven't heard about this aforementioned foreign legionnaire rule? Going of what it could possibly be, that each team must have at minimum x amount of frenchies, this means less poached Australians?

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
I haven't heard about this aforementioned foreign legionnaire rule? Going of what it could possibly be, that each team must have at minimum x amount of frenchies, this means less poached Australians?
Next season clubs must have 12 "JIFFs" in matchday squads and 14 the following season.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
At the end of next year maybe, but I can't see how he is close to being dropped at present. He is one of our most consistent performers, brings a truck load of experience and who else is there? Speight may well walk in and be a sensation, but he is injured and is still to actually play a test. Plus, if he's picked it will be on the other wing. Who else? Is there actually another fit eligible winger that would even be close to being considered?

If AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) were to pull a hammy in training this week, or some other intervention cause him not to play, the wing spots would probably be covered by Tomane and Horne, with English on the bench. There are always options, and I don't think we'd lose too much with these players. Expecting a towelling up by the ABs regardless.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
so we can add AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Horwill and probably Kepu to the list. all not unexpected of course.
i believe we will see a few more post super 2015 pre world cup departures from the "fringe" wallaby group. australian rugby is not going to be able to compete with a better paying overseas boss and the lure of a gold jumper is not what it once was - unfortunately

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
It's an unfortunate fact of life that Australian rugby can't compete financially with French and English clubs. This means that fringe players and players nearing the end of their career are going to take the English/French club option more often. If they have a young family, the attraction increases. There is a heck of a lot of travel involved in super rugby and not just for a day before and after the game, but sometimes for a week or more at a time. Ifyou make the Wallabies the travel increases markedly. I'm sure all these guys value the Australian jersey and also proudly represent their state/province, but there comes a time when they have to look to their own future.

Provided the players abide by any contract they sign with Australian rugby and/or super teams and deal honestly and honourably in any negotiations, I have no problem with players going to French or English clubs. (That's not to say that I don't miss guys playing in Australia.)

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Wghat shits me is that Horwill and Adam are at the end of their careers, whilst Kepu is right in the middle.

Aussie rugby has a lot to answer, letting blokes like Kepu go (UNLESS it was for lifestyle and money not a consideration but I doubt that).

Maybe "The Hinge" gets a reprieve and gets to 100 caps. ;)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Wghat shits me is that Horwill and Adam are at the end of their careers, whilst Kepu is right in the middle.

Aussie rugby has a lot to answer, letting blokes like Kepu go (UNLESS it was for lifestyle and money not a consideration but I doubt that).

Maybe "The Hinge" gets a reprieve and gets to 100 caps. ;)

Kepu would be 30 before the 2016 season starts. That hardly makes him mid career. He's less than 9 months younger than Horwill.

Maybe if Kepu had played more tests before he was 25 he'd stay in Australia longer.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Kepu would be 30 before the 2016 season starts. That hardly makes him mid career. He's less than 9 months younger than Horwill.

Maybe if Kepu had played more tests before he was 25 he'd stay in Australia longer.

Ok but we don't have TH props, then ARU must offer a good contract for Kepu. I don't know, extra money and more rest.

Our scrum is a mess with him on the squad, without him we will have a Tier 3 scrum :eek:

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Ok but we don't have TH props, then ARU must offer a good contract for Kepu. I don't know, extra money and more rest.

Our scrum is a mess with him on the squad, without him we will have a Tier 3 scrum :eek:

Presumably he's on a pretty good contract with the ARU. He probably doesn't get much or anything in the way of third party deals though to bump it up.

I think people underestimate the contribution that a different life experience and huge reduction of travel has on the decision when players go overseas. It's even more of a drawcard for people with young kids (like Kepu).