• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
He played 10 and 12 respectively in his final years at high school. He's also played 13 for Tah's u20s..
Didn't Kellaway play 15 when in year 12? And wasn't David Horwitz the Scots 10 when Kellaway was in years 11 and 12? I remember David's long passes putting Kellaway (and others) into clear space on many occasions.
Anyway, the lad is fast, strong, and knows his way to the try line. An exciting prospect for Waratah and Australian rugby.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Didn't Kellaway play 15 when in year 12? And wasn't David Horwitz the Scots 10 when Kellaway was in years 11 and 12? I remember David's long passes putting Kellaway (and others) into clear space on many occasions.
Anyway, the lad is fast, strong, and knows his way to the try line. An exciting prospect for Waratah and Australian rugby.

Yes with Jim Stewart too. Quite the backline.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

Thats what I thought but I've lost a lot of arguments over the precise make up of Scots teams

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I like the deal if it has happened - but why throw good money after bad.
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...SP003&promote_channel=edmail&mbnr=MTI0NTM1MjA

Seriously we pay someone like Inglis big money for a couple of years, then he goes to France, or gets injured (or another Dell, Hunt, Tuquri).
I'd much rather see a bigger and better comp out here at Shute & NRC level - promote, pay, retain, and in my eyes our foundation are built accross a far greater marketable base and this will then enable reinvestment rather than splashing the cash

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
I like the deal if it has happened - but why throw good money after bad.
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...SP003&promote_channel=edmail&mbnr=MTI0NTM1MjA

Seriously we pay someone like Inglis big money for a couple of years, then he goes to France, or gets injured (or another Dell, Hunt, Tuquri).
I'd much rather see a bigger and better comp out here at Shute & NRC level - promote, pay, retain, and in my eyes our foundation are built accross a far greater marketable base and this will then enable reinvestment rather than splashing the cash

Would Inglis play at 13? We don't need an outside centre. Kuridrani is a proven 13 at international level

But in terms of marketing could be positive for rugby. I read that Izzy Folau generates extra income for the ARU. The GI's fame is bigger than Izzy, so the extra incomes would be even bigger. It might be interesting to attract more people and sponsors to the Union ;)

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Would Inglis play at 13? We don't need an outside centre. Kuridrani is a proven 13 at international level

But in terms of marketing could be positive for rugby. I read that Izzy Folau generates extra income for the ARU. The GI's fame is bigger than Izzy, so the extra incomes would be even bigger. It might be interesting to attract more people and sponsors to the Union ;)

Interesting, I hear about the bank balance now, and the state of our game (there is even a decline in Junior Rugby thread) - and look back at how Wendell, Tuquri, Rogers assisted (all short term).

I'd much rather see a bigger and better comp out here at Shute & NRC level - promote, pay, retain, and in my eyes our foundations would be built accross a far greater marketable base and this will then enable reinvestment rather than splashing the cash.

T

TOCC

If you are recruiting a player for sponsorships and interest then sign Gary Ablett and Buddy Franklin and play them in Melbourne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
You'd probably do better recruiting Jeff Kennett to play for the Rebels if it is about getting Victorians to roll up and watch someone get smashed, to be a walking headline, or to gain access to the powerbrokers in their Big End of Town (or combination or two or more of these).

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
Not sure if this reasoing has been covered elsewhere....

Allow foreign based selection for the sake of the finances.
1. Top players get their money and the Wallabies have access to top match-hardened players without the cost.
2. The huge amounts of cash currently being spent on top-up payments can be ploughed into development at NRC level and below.
3. Extra development creates greater depth and pathways for up-and-coming talent.
4. When finances start to recover money can be spent to retain top/marquee players.

Rugby is not strong enough to give everybody what they want right now. Play the long game and the dividends will come back in spades....make that wheelbarrows.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Not sure if this reasoing has been covered elsewhere..

Allow foreign based selection for the sake of the finances.
1. Top players get their money and the Wallabies have access to top match-hardened players without the cost.
2. The huge amounts of cash currently being spent on top-up payments can be ploughed into development at NRC level and below.
3. Extra development creates greater depth and pathways for up-and-coming talent.
4. When finances start to recover money can be spent to retain top/marquee players.

Rugby is not strong enough to give everybody what they want right now. Play the long game and the dividends will come back in spades..make that wheelbarrows.
I actually think the best argument against foreign players is how much the exodus would affect our Super Rugby teams.

I saw some stats that since the Springboks started selecting os again their Super Rugby crowds and TV have dropped and results are also affected

If there's one level of the game that has to remain competitive and financially viable in Australia it's the super rugby level.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
There is a lot of angst on this thread about the numbers and quality of players heading overseas after the RWC. So, I thought I'd have a look at those who have already committed to remaining in Super rugby for 2016 and beyond to see if a half way decent Wallabies' team can be cobbled together from those remains.

I have to say that it is difficult to find information on the dates that current contracts will expire, so I have undoubtedly omitted some or many players who have signed on for 2016 whom I am unaware of. Similarly, there will be others who will extend their current contracts into 2016 and beyond but haven't yet put pen to paper. That all means that the list I've come up with will be able to be updated either by someone knowing a player who has signed to stay whom I've missed, or as other players commit themselves to stay. So if anyone is interested enough to add to the names I've collected, please go ahead.

LHP : Sio, Cowan, Daley, Hoskings

No 2 : Moore, Charles, Siliva,

THP : Faulkner, Ala'alatoa, Toupou

Lock : Timani, Coleman, Enever, Staniforth, Jeffries

No 6 : Cottrell

No 7 : McMahon

No 8 : Butler

No 9 : Meehan, Dowsett

No 10 : To'omua, Debreczini

No 11 : Tomane, Horne

No 12 : Lealiifano, Godwin, Dargaville

No 13 : Kuridrani (T), Rosolea, Ah Wong, English

No 14 : Speight, Shipperley

No 15 : OÇonnor, Crawford, Placid

As can be seen, most of the team is well covered, but there could be glaring weaknesses especially in the back row and at half back, depending on who else has signed whom I'm not aware of and on who will yet sign.

Not all gloom and doom, I'd say.

EDIT - May be obvious, but the bolded names are those I would select in the respective positions based on form to date.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
^^ I'm sure there are more guys signed or who are pretty much committed to Aus rugby past 2016......which is good news for you blokes cos that team would get hammered...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
According to the SMH, overseas players may be considered by Cheika for Wallaby selection.

He's not talking about overseas players, but overseas-bound players (Kepu, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Genia etc)...............

Which, in a World Cup year, is a no-brainer.............

Wallabies coach Michael Cheika will overturn his predecessor Ewen McKenzie's controversial policy of not selecting overseas-bound players for Test duty.

With a host of huge names including Will Genia, Adam Ashley-Cooper, James Horwill, Sekope Kepu and potentially Bernard Foley due to depart for Europe and Japan at the end of this year, Cheika confirmed he would break with McKenzie's hard line stance on Wallabies eligibility and pick the best players to wear the gold jersey, no matter where they were headed.

It's a pretty stupid article because I highly doubt that Link would've chosen not to select guys like Kepu and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) for the World Cup because they were going overseas afterwards.............

T

TOCC

He's not talking about overseas players, but overseas-bound players (Kepu, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Genia etc).....

Which, in a World Cup year, is a no-brainer.....

It's a pretty stupid article because I highly doubt that Link would've chosen not to select guys like Kepu and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) for the World Cup because they were going overseas afterwards.....

Georgina Robinson.... Enough said

Ewen used that policy in a non RWC year and I think I was the right call to help build depth and experience for a RWC year... But I agree, Ewen wouldn't have overlooked those player in a RWC year, that part of the article is nonsense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yeah, you are right. I didn't read the article in full. I agree that it is a no brainer to select the best that are currently in Aust and playing Super Rugby in a RWC year. Bit of a column inch filler article isn't it.

If, having signalled their intentions for next year, post RWC, means that they will no longer be selected, where does one draw the line? Do we not select players who may be heading overseas on 2 years, or 3 years. Hell, should we make the Under 20's the Wallabies? We should get at least 4 years return on our development "investment" before they start thinking about heading overseas.

Players will probably sign overseas contracts, and just not tell their current employer until the last safe moment. Works provided the receiving club does not spill the beans.

Is an employee (player) under any obligation to inform their current employer where they will be employed after their current contract expires with that employer?

T

Train Without a Station

Stupid fucking article. McKenzie never took that "tough" stance in 2013. In fact he selected Sitaleki Timani and stopped him from leaving early, because he had a need for him in the squad.

It was just the right call, that if an equal option was available, McKenzie opted for the player that would continue to be around during his tenure.

Typical quality id expect from Georgina Robinson.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
By not picking someone 'cos he's announced hes outta here you run the risk of picking a lesser player who may well fuck off on you anyway, using the fact you've picked him & that he's now a bona fide Wallaby rather than just part of the train-on squad to increase his salary. Best to pick the better player, IMO, regardless of where he may or may not be playing this time next year.