• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

Westie

Sydney Middleton (9)
While not being a fan of players playing year round, I still think it a sensible option by ARU to allow Foley this in his contract. If you can't match huge dollars you have to find some other way of making it attractive to a player to stay. Not sure why anyone would think it will open up door for one and all to do it, I think it can be controlled, look how NZRU put rests etc in some players contracts, if managed there is no problem! . I actually can see a player like Folau given a sabbatical to play in France or somewhere, and have a fairly good part of a super season off, once again managed properly so he still gets a break when returning, he could still play for Wallabies after a couple of late S15 games back. Time to think outside the box a little bit chaps!
Yeah they could give him time off to play nrl

:)

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Anyone read the comments from Greg Harris in the paper today? Foley signed his Japanese deal well before the flexible contract was on the table for him, effectively saying to the ARU "I'm having my cake, the only question is if you're going to feed it to me too".

To me, that sucks. That is not the way flexible contracts should be done. It should be something that is tabled as a possibility by the ARU I.e "hey, we really value you, you've been a great contributor here for a long time, we want to reward you by letting chase yen once (maybe twice if > 5-6 yrs in wallabies) through your next contract." Then they write the contract first making sure all the finer details are in Australian rugby's interest, not the Japanese club's and not necessarily the deepest recesses of the players wallet.

Let's be honest. Bernard Foley did what was right for Bernard Foley. He did rob the ARU of the initiative in this instance, effectively "holding them to ransom" as I said. His priorities were money first, Australian rugby second, which is fine in and of itself but in the context of this situation is a bad look.

What he did was not wrong per se, and I'm happy he'll be available for selection till 2018 but this deal was badly done. Let's hope it isn't repeated.

But that isn't the Foley's fault, the ARU should present its proposal to the player before the Japanese. That's how work the labor market and that what ARU should do right now and not wait for Toulon makes an offer for a player

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Some players have done okay with extended playing. Brad Thorn for example, in his 30's, went to Japan straight after the 2011 world cup, then for a stint with Leinster, then back to Japan, and then to the Highlanders, and finally to Leicester. Basically 4.5 years without a real off-season.

IIRC he struggled for game time at times with the Highlanders.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Lots of talk here about Foley being available for Rio under his flexible contract. I distinctly remember hearing a news item a couple of days ago that indicated Foley had ruled out a return to 7s. Anyone able to verify?

On the question of who's next for the flexible contract, what is Phipps' current contract situation. I note in Greg Harris' statement that he lumps Foley and Phipps together as the spine of the Tahs. If Phipps hasn't yet signed for 2016, does this give a hint to him being given the same treatment as Foley? Otherwise, apart from Folau, who else might be in the running? Can't see many potential options from the Reds, Brumbies, Rebels or Force. Starting to look very much like a Tahs centric arrangement.

Edit : Questions should be asked if Beale gets an arrangement as well.:(

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Lots of talk here about Foley being available for Rio under his flexible contract. I distinctly remember hearing a news item a couple of days ago that indicated Foley had ruled out a return to 7s. Anyone able to verify?

On the question of who's next for the flexible contract, what is Phipps' current contract situation. I note in Greg Harris' statement that he lumps Foley and Phipps together as the spine of the Tahs. If Phipps hasn't yet signed for 2016, does this give a hint to him being given the same treatment as Foley? Otherwise, apart from Folau, who else might be in the running? Can't see many potential options from the Reds, Brumbies, Rebels or Force. Starting to look very much like a Tahs centric arrangement.

At this point apparently Cheika convinced Foley to forget about the Olympic 7s. I'd imagine that could change if Australia gets closer to qualifying.

Phipps has already re-signed until the end of 2016.

It's hard to know who else is a likely candidate for this sort of contract. I highly doubt it's going to be the most experienced Wallabies because I can't see any of them being keen to try and play throughout the year. They'll either want to play Super Rugby and keep playing for the Wallabies or look for a move to Europe or Japan and end their Wallaby careers.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Its also interesting because they are 3 year long contracts. There can't be too many players that the ARU want to lock up for that long.

Izzy is already in negotiations for a similar deal

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Edit : Questions should be asked if Beale gets an arrangement as well.:(

IMO every Australian rugby player should be considered for Rio - if you don't pick your best available players for any team then you're not fair dinkum.

I also believe that once the principle of the flexible contract is established then it should be an option for everyone as part of the normal negotiation process. Trying to put artificial qualifications in place leads to anomalies like the Ben Mowen fiasco where the Wallaby captain was ineligible for a contract upgrade because he hadn't served for 2 years.

The genie is out of the bottle, there's no turning back now.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...d-wallaby-policy/story-fni2fxyf-1227306978256

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
But that isn't the Foley's fault, the ARU should present its proposal to the player before the Japanese. That's how work the labor market and that what ARU should do right now and not wait for Toulon makes an offer for a player

This sort of arrangement is far from optimal for the ARU. Their optimal contracting arrangement is for a player to just be playing Super Rugby and for the Wallabies.

Why would they try and create this sort of deal for players who might not even be looking at it?

It's a difficult situation to work through. The last thing the ARU wants to do however is end up with more players playing year round than necessary.

The ARU needs to go about their normal contracting process and if that breaks down they can look at investigating other options.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
That's the point isn't it, he got injured from no break.

I don't think so. A torn bicep in a game could happen to any player.

He did have a sore toe for at least one game where he said after the game it was pretty embarrassing but I don't think any of his injury time off was due to being over worked or playing too much.

In saying that, he was known for his rigorous conditioning and disciplined approach to training.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
IMO every Australian rugby player should be considered for Rio - if you don't pick your best available players for any team then you're not fair dinkum.

Any team? So, for an equivalent example, the Australian cricket selectors should automatically pick the same 12 players for full Test matches, 50 over games, and T20.

Maybe you haven't noticed, but there are some big differences between Sevens and fifteens.

They should certainly pick the best Sevens players for Rio. That means, amongst other criteria, that the selected players must have a record in Sevens.

(Obviously I am not talking specifically about Foley - he has a track record in Sevens).

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Any team? So, for an equivalent example, the Australian cricket selectors should automatically pick the same 12 players for full Test matches, 50 over games, and T20.

Maybe you haven't noticed, but there are some big differences between Sevens and fifteens.

They should certainly pick the best Sevens players for Rio. That means, amongst other criteria, that the selected players must have a record in Sevens.

(Obviously I am not talking specifically about Foley - he has a track record in Sevens).

If they are the best players you pick them - if they're not suited to 7s, then they're not the best available so you don't pick them, it's not rocket science.

This is an extension of the argument mounted when Folau was thinking of coming to rugby: "rugby is too complex for him to understand."

Yes, there are some differences between 7s and 15s, just like there are differences in cricket - you might have noticed that there are some players who play all 3 forms of cricket, some 2 and some 1, it depends on their skill sets.

If the Australian 7s coach can't integrate guys like JOC (James O'Connor), Folau et al into an Olympic team in 6-8 weeks, he's being overpaid. Yes, it's different, but it ain't than complicated.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I'm a big fan of the flexible contract. Whatever we can use to keep our best talent in the game without losing them North has to be entertained. It can be individually tailored for any player. If Cooper wants to box, give it to him. If Israel wants to get on his bike and knock doors for an off season, let him.

As for the character assassination of Foley, saying he held a gun to the ARUs head by signing in Japan first is ludicrous. The ARU could have left him high and dry. The risk was his to take and who dares wins. The ARU have fluffed and phaffed over this for long enough I'm glad for someone to take the initiative and lead them by the nose.

T

TOCC

I can't say I'm a fan of the flexible contract at all, I despise the fact Australian rugby has reached this point.. If it's a necessary evil then so be it, but it's a gradual erosion of stringent ARU policy and it won't be long before we're selecting overseas based wallabies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
I can't say I'm a fan of the flexible contract at all, I despise the fact Australian rugby has reached this point.. If it's a necessary evil then so be it, but it's a gradual erosion of stringent ARU policy and it won't be long before we're selecting overseas based wallabies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About time then