• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie refs miss out on World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garza

Stan Wickham (3)
Are they kidding ? Two South African and two NZ refs join northern hemisphere refs to control the World Cup games but no Aussie ref good enough. Given interpretations particularly of the scrum Wallabies face an uphill battle. Things just get harder.!

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Are they kidding ? Two South African and two NZ refs join northern hemisphere refs to control the World Cup games but no Aussie ref good enough. Given interpretations particularly of the scrum Wallabies face an uphill battle. Things just get harder.!

Obviously forgot that Cheika will be there so there will be at least 1 Aussie at every Wallaby game clarifying the scrum interpretations at halftime.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
No Aussie ref would referee a wallaby game so not sure that it makes any different

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
Sigh. There was a time when our referees were the best going. I wonder if Australian refereeing will get its Montreal-AIS moment.

From where I sit, there seems to have been a missing generation between the Coles, Ericsons and Leasks of the world and today, and it seems to stem from us looking to younger refs during the professional era. There's a lot to be said for the old '10,000 hour' rule and serving an apprenticeship.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
IMO this problem comes back to the pathways to accreditation. I looked into getting accredited as an AR/Ref and found there were no courses being held in NSW at the time. Then when a course came up it was the only one and was in Sydney a short 6 hour drive away, which becomes an issue when funding is tight and I would be paying the course fees up front myself.

If you narrow the talent pool by restricting access to the training this will always be the outcome. So I'm not all that surprised our refs are dropping down the tree in terms of test selection. Just have a look at the Refs in Super Rugby how many Australian's are there ready to transition to international AR or Ref?

To fix it they have to fix the pathways. It isn't about individuals per se.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
@Gnostic Was there a Foundation Course being offered or a Level One referee course?

As an active level ii referee I think there is much to learn from NZ and SA in their referee programs. The ARU are catching up but have been left behind with their referee programs.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Well, after the squealing coming from across the dutch last night after the Rebels, I think its hardly surprising our refs are missing out.

And the squealers might have a point.

The Horse Whisper

Bob McCowan (2)

That is a real shame

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Unfortunately the current crop of Aussie whistleblowers (or the ones who have been elevated to super rugby anyway) aren't up to it. There is a big problem in the way that referees in Australia are promoted before their time and then fail because of this.

Gardner is barely up to super rugby, Andrew Lees is inept and is barely Shute Shield level and the Hoff makes too many errors. It's sad but it's true - I wouldn't want any of these guys in charge of a game which counts.

Pollock is the pick of the Kiwi guys - the only one I'd have at RWC.

Joubert is good, Peyper has his moments but at least he has a good rapport with the players. I quite like the young SAF ref - Westhuizen I think his name is, have seen him ref twice and was top class both times.

Status
Not open for further replies.