• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie super 14 team of the week Round 9 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
15.Mark Gerrard (perfect conditions for him)
14.AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
13.Ioane
12.Barnes
11.Hynes
10.Giteau
9.Valentine
8.Richard Brown
7.George Smith
6.Mitchell Chapman
5.Kimlin
4.MMM
3.Shepherdson
2.Moore
1.Alexander

Poor week results wise for the Aussies but the Brumbies the only team good enough to get up, the Force snatched defeat from the jaws of victory & the Reds just don't know how to win.

The Tahs forwards were beaten for the 1st time this season & the poor ball skills of the backline was on show for all to see.

When you look at the table it doesn't look good for the Aussies but we all know that we only need to pick our best 22 players & we have had some dominate individuals this season so lets hope Robbie can get them to gel.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Can I point out the Stormers scrum was pissweak? Maybe I just have trouble agreeing with an entire Brumbies front row :nta:

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Can I point out the Stormers scrum was pissweak? Maybe I just have trouble agreeing with an entire Brumbies front row NTA

Regardless of the scrum Moore & Alexander were the best ball carriers all night, it was great to watch Alexander crash it up followed up by Moore it seem to happen in that order all night & both players kept getting over the advantage line.

Brumbies fans who didn't watch a lot of the Reds will soon find out that Moore tends to finish the super 14 season a lot stronger than he starts it.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
disco said:
Can I point out the Stormers scrum was pissweak? Maybe I just have trouble agreeing with an entire Brumbies front row NTA

Regardless of the scrum Moore & Alexander were the best ball carriers all night, it was great to watch Alexander crash it up followed up by Moore it seem to happen in that order all night & both players kept getting over the advantage line.

Brumbies fans who didn't watch a lot of the Reds will soon find out that Moore tends to finish the super 14 season a lot stronger than he starts it.

Spoken like a NSWelshman. You need to go home to Queensland Ash as you have obviously been in Sydney too long. Every Qlder (and every other rugby playing nation for that matter) knows that a front rower is judged on their merits at the set piece contests. Ball running is for backs.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Uh - D, you might want to say "disco" and not "Ash" 8)

Still, you can judge his merits on forward play by the fact he lists the team starting at fullback ;)

F

formeropenside

Who'd have thought Ioane as a genuine option at 13 in a test?

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Every Qlder (and every other rugby playing nation for that matter) knows that a front rower is judged on their merits at the set piece contests. Ball running is for backs.

Well they did smash the opposition scrum as well except that wasn't good enough for NTA as he doesn't rate the Stormers scrum so I had to remind him that they were also brilliant around the park & thats why I went with an all Brumbies front row.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Thought Burgess had a good half till he got sucked down by the rest of the mess

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Hmmm, people seeing me when I'm not there. Nice to know I'm thought about! Unfortunately, not leaving Sydney any time soon...that said, I think the Brumbies could do with a stronger tighthead. Nothing wrong with Moore's scrummaging - but for me, the jury is still out on Alexander at scrum time...but he sure is great around the park.

Anyway...

Australian team of the week

April 14, 2009 - 8:43AM

Each week, Greg Growden and Rupert Guinness pick the form Australian Super 14 team.

15 Mark Gerrard (ACT) (3)
14 Scott Staniforth (Force) (1)
13 Ryan Cross (Force) (3)
12 Tyrone Smith (ACT) (2)
11 Nick Cummins(Force) (1)
10 Quade Cooper (Qld) (4)
9 Patrick Phibbs (ACT) (3)
8 Richard Brown (Force) (2)
7 George Smith (ACT) (4)
6 Matt Hodgson (Force) (2)
5 Peter Kimlin (ACT) (1)
4 Hugh McMeniman(Qld) (4)
3 Guy Shepherdson (ACT) (4)
2 Stephen Moore (ACT) (5)
1 Ben Alexander (ACT) (1)
(Number of times selected in brackets).

Player of the round: PATRICK PHIBBS.
The Brumbies back-up halfback did it for his late mate, Shawn Mackay, by scoring the match-winning try shortly after taking the field.

Try of the round: DIGBY IOANE.
Two great passes including a long one by Quade Cooper to Ioane set up an excellent try that brought Queensland back into the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.