• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Towns Trivia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
EXMOUTH GULF - WA

Not to be confused with Exmouth, which is 2 hours up the road. And also has some forms of life there. This place has absolutely nothing. It is barren as can be. The local indigenous bypass the place as it doesn't even have a soakage, let alone running water. Saying that, it has the true beauty of WA. This being flies that can lift a small dog off the ground. I would rather spend a week here than a day in auburn.

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
FOXHOW - VIC

Not to be confused with Foxhat. ;) an hour west of Geelong on the top end of the lake district, which means duck season is a nightmare. Typical country Victoria. Missing teeth IQ's lower than a homeboys pant line and thay all like to think that melbourne is the hub of the universe, which is a known falsity. I love the sign on the freeway from the aerodrome into the town saying
" Melbourne... If we had a good zoo, we'd be Dubbo "

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
Warnambool - Vic. Home of the Warnambool Plovers Rugby side, playing in the second division comp in Melbourne. At the end of the Great Ocean Road. Lovely seaside town, no doubt fish and chips would a good option here. Great dairy in the area too, so maybe if you are lactose intolerant you should just bypass here.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Just looked up the VRU website, both Warrnambool and Shepparton and a coupla clubs much closer to Melbourne play in the third division. That's impressive.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Just looked up the VRU website, both Warrnambool and Shepparton and a coupla clubs much closer to Melbourne play in the third division. That's impressive.
In recent years, the Vic Country competition extended up to Bandiana (Wodonga) That's impressive!

The BARC guys were very committed to their rugby but have succumbed to the extensive travel and will play in the SIRU competition in 2014

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
So, the boys from Bandiana had a choice of heading off to either Warrnambool or Hay...:eek:
Without looking at the Vic Div III Draw, the BARC boys travelled away every second weekend including numerous trips to Melbourne. The bus trips would have been fun to kick off with, but 8 hours in a bus every second weekend would become a drag pretty quickly.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I have been sitting back waiting for an appropriately august post to celebrate my 10000th G&GR post. Some would say that this is 9500 too many.

As a control freak with OCD I feel that I can no longer wait for augustness as I watch my little fiefdom that is this thread descend into anarchy without my dictatorial input.
Several amendments need to be made to keep the chain going as the result of recent audit findings.

Allingham, previously joining Cootamundra and Mordialloc, has been awarded a Red Card (previously used by @Hugh Jarse ).
It is to be replaced by:
Arncliffe, NSW. While technically not in The Shire, the locals play rugby for the Hobbits (Southern Districts). You can get a good feed and cold beer at the Arncliffe Scots Sports & Social Club - Interesting name for club in an area that is not well habited with persons of Scottish heritage.
and
East Rockingham, WA. Industrial suburb South of Perth and East of Rockingham. This was named "Challenger" between 1992 and 1996. Why? Nearest Rugby is in "Rocky" with the Rockingham Rugby Club.
Allingham - A smallish town near Ingham QLD, and previously known as Forrest Beach. Famous for being an A town that ends in M, and therefore potentially useful as a segue to Mount Buggery, Victoria, in a town name trivia chain game, if the latter was a town and not just a simple geographic feature.

Katherine, previously joining Timber Creek and Exmouth Gulf, has been awarded a Red Card (previously used by @Baldric).
It is to be replaced by:
Kyogle, NSW. Australia's Tidiest Town according to some. Home to the Kyogle Cockies Rugby Club.
Katherine - NT. Cadel Evans is from here. He would not eat a pie

@yourmatesam, Lamington is indeed a National Park and not a town. While Lamington is a very nice word in so many ways, It has been reluctantly issued with a Red Card, as it is not a Town, Suburb, Rural Place, Village, Locality or City etc. If I have to Red Card myself for the Geographic Feature that is Mount Buggery Vic, then @yourmatesam can't have a National Park.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Lucknow, NSW. Just outside Orange on the Mitchell Highway, Lucknow was the site of the second discovery of gold in Australia. For Pies, Beers, Wines, Fine Dining and Rugby, head to the Orange CBD. For yummy Pick Your Own Berries, go to Huntley Berry Farm (in season).

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Woodenbong, NSW. Was a toss up between this town and Wee Waa. Both are worthy entries. Despite what may be wishful thinking from some that this Nothern NSW town may have been (aptly) named after certain practices usually associated with other Northern NSW hinterland towns, the town name is
thought to be related to the Anglicised version of the local indigenous dialacts words for either Lagoon or Platypus. Go to Kyogle Cockies for your Rugby fix.

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
Gisborne - Vic. 55km from Melbourne. Pretty country town with good access to peies etc. Closest rugby is down the road at Melton who play in the 2nd div comp in Melbourne with Warnambool.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Lucknow, NSW. Just outside Orange on the Mitchell Highway, Lucknow was the site of the second discovery of gold in Australia. For Pies, Beers, Wines, Fine Dining and Rugby, head to the Orange CBD. For yummy Pick Your Own Berries, go to Huntley Berry Farm (in season).

Red card.

Already used by moi.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Lucknow, near Orange, site of former mining (some mining headsets are still there). Possibly named after a place in India.
- April 2013 - Legitimate entry.

Lucknow, just east of Orange. I once had a beer there with Dougie Walters.
- August 2013 - Red Card

Good gotcha. Uppercut and Red Card for Moi.

Too focused on getting a W for Woodenbong to check for previous entries.

Challenge now is to find a replacement (and legitimate) entry L*****W.

Standby, otherwise Woodenbong will receive a Yellow Card as well.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Tough gig: Lisarow, Lithgow, and Lucknow have all gone so to replace the twice Red Carded entry of Lucknow, and to retain what little credibility I have left, Lithgow is to be replaced by:

Lucas Heights, NSW. Things glow in the dark in this Sydney Suburb on account of the nearby Nuclear Reactor. The locals will often use the more grandiose name of Bardon Ridge to describe where they live especially when they are selling their house. Makes a big difference to the price apparently.

and

Swan View, WA. North Eastern Perth Suburb that naturally enough overlooks the Swan River, and more importantly the Swan Valley, home to about 2 million wineries and the Feral Brewing Company. Yummy.

Next town to start with an E from Gisborne.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Enoggera, a suburb in BrisVegas, site of a well known huge army barracks, plenty of rugby clubs around it, plus the Brisbane Irish club is based in there. Pies abound in these small shops dotted all over the place

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Algester, QLD. Staying with the BrisVegas theme. Southern suburb that gave us Karmichael Hunt, star of three footy codes. Plenty of real footy options locally, but Sunnybank probably has first call for loyalties on the good citizenry of Algester.

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
REMLAP - WA

If you have been to Xantippe, you will know where Remlap is. The middle of nowhere. Nothing there at all nothing to see move on folks.
7 hours NE of Perth and another couple of hours NE of Xantippe. If you got lost here, no one will ever find you.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Pleasant Hills, NSW - @lindommer may or may not have spent a fair chunk of his youth in this part of the world.
Just outside Henty, the local publican sold the licence in 1999 only for the locals to band together and get their pub back by injecting $40k+ into the joint. You can now duck in for a quiet beer at the local pub/post office/general store!

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
STEIGLITZ - QLD

On the bay and is what Melbournites would regard as as nice place to retire. End of the road, with all amenities for the aged Victorian... Bowling club, Urologist and a senior cits. I think most people go there to die like the elephants graveyard. The local takeaway will put your fish and chips through a blender so you don't have to chew

I would also like to thank @yourmatesam for the lead in to go and use Z!
You now have a choice of 9 towns... Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.