• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v Argentina - 21 November, Newcastle

Wilson

David Codey (61)
The Argie 2nd XV spanked the Wobs 2nd XV a few weeks ago didn't they?

Is that at all concerning? I imagine the Argies have been in camp together for ages, whilst the Wobs 2nd XV was thrown together with blokes who were coming from camp and clubland.

Much more like a 3rd/4th 15 for the wallabies, some test players but also some club guys.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
The Argie 2nd XV spanked the Wobs 2nd XV a few weeks ago didn't they?

Is that at all concerning? I imagine the Argies have been in camp together for ages, whilst the Wobs 2nd XV was thrown together with blokes who were coming from camp and clubland.

IIRC it was done in thirds and the first third was essentially the Argies' first team. Naisarani did very well and boshed some people aside to score two nice tries.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
The backrow is a bit of dilemma. I'd go with Nasirani at 8, and Samu on the bench. I hate to be a Hanigan hater but I'm yet to see anything from him to suggest he's a real option at test level. I certainly can't see him making any physical impact against this Puma side. He reminds me a bit of Richard Brown; not by his style of play but the fact that he looks great at Super level but makes little impact at test level.

It times like these I wish Liam Gill was available for selection. He'd be the prefect bloke to come off the bench with 25 to go.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I've seen some concerns raised on a couple of different threads over the Pumas backrow and how their on-ball ability might impact us. For me, the key to their breakdown success was that they were consistently able to stop NZ from getting behind the advantage line. It's much harder to slow the ball when you have to retire to enter through the gate.

Even when we got belted in the Sydney test, we were making the advantage line about 10% more of them time than NZ so I think we have an edge on them there. Still, I would be tempted to start Tupou and reintroduce Naisarani to bolster the running game. If we make inroads early I think they will find it much harder to keep their defensive line in shape.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Slipper not playing is a big loss. Argies scrum looked amazing and Sio has been off the boil for a while. I presume Sio comes straight into starting and Bell retains #17.

Shame we can't see Pone with AAA & Tupou being first on the list.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
The backrow is a bit of dilemma. I'd go with Nasirani at 8, and Samu on the bench. I hate to be a Hanigan hater but I'm yet to see anything from him to suggest he's a real option at test level. I certainly can't see him making any physical impact against this Puma side. He reminds me a bit of Richard Brown; not by his style of play but the fact that he looks great at Super level but makes little impact at test level.

It times like these I wish Liam Gill was available for selection. He'd be the prefect bloke to come off the bench with 25 to go.

Or Shaun McMahon.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Slipper not playing is a big loss. Argies scrum looked amazing and Sio has been off the boil for a while. I presume Sio comes straight into starting and Bell retains #17.

Shame we can't see Pone with AAA & Tupou being first on the list.

Christy Doran has Pone (and a few others) leaving camp, so we won't be seeing him this year without injuries.

Others to leave: James Ramm, Len Ikitau, Lachie Swinton (suspended following red card) and Joe Powell.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Christy Doran has Pone (and a few others) leaving camp, so we won't be seeing him this year without injuries.

Others to leave: James Ramm, Len Ikitau, Lachie Swinton (suspended following red card) and Joe Powell.

All make sense. They aren't close to being emergency cover and it must be tasking to be in the bubble away from fam etc.

Who's the 3rd in line 9 and 3?

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
That was the worst performance by the ABs in quite some time. There were many uncharacteristic errors in attack and they lacked on-field leadership when they needed it most. In the past you would have bet good money on them pulling that one out of the fire with 5 mins to go. Take nothing away from Los Pumas. It was a stirring performance by them.
Just as Rennie and co came up with a very effective game plan in our last test, I expect them to do the same again this week. He will not make the same mistake as the ABs brains trust and take these blokes lightly. There was nothing new there from Argentina, they just did what they normally do much better and for more minutes in the match.
We have a lot of pace and ability out wide. I imagine that we will use it as well as a much more effective kicking game. Yes, we need to front up at the coal face, but thats a given in every test.

Jaguardo

Peter Burge (5)
Ledesma must make an important decision in the backrow. He keeps Bruni, a very solid player in defense and who had a great game against the ABs or he bets on the ball carrying with Facundo Isa, recovered from the muscle injury playing for Toulon in the final of the Challenge Cup? In any case, Isa, entering as an impact player can make a substantial contribution.